Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow southwards towards the Thames
Post to the north Upminster
Post to the south Corbets Tey
Branfill Road The Branfill family were local property owners from the 17th
Branfill Road Meeting Room, with plaque above the door about preaching the Lord’s Word. Built pre-1950s.
Hornchurch Stadium, built in 1952 with athletics facilities and it is home to AFC Hornchurch.
Windmill. A smock mill which can be seen for miles around which was in use until 1927. The upper part is octagonal of timber and weather boarded on a brick base. It originally had three pairs of stones. The cap is dated 1799 and the timber is late 18th but the mill was actually built in 1803-4 by James Nokes. The wind shaft came from a post mill at Maldon in 1899. Additional power came from a steam engine but this and its boiler house and other building were by the County Council, who were the owners from 1940. It was opened to the public in 1968. Champion Road. Champion was the first name of a prominent member of the Branfill family
St. Joseph. Roman Catholic Church built in 1939 by Marshall in Dark brick. There is a statue of St Joseph by Joseph Cribb, above the entrance.
Corbet’s Tey Road
Public Library. Designed by H. Conolly of Essex County Council, in 1962-3.
St Laurence. The parish church derives its foundation from 653-63 and St. Cedd a missionary from Lindisfarne who established a minster here. The church was rebuilt in the early 13th and enlarged in the 14th. In 1861/2 it was again rebuilt and in 1928 more work was done from designs of Sir Charles Nicholson. St. Laurence was a roman martyr. The church has a 13th tower with a shingled spire. Inside are beams holding the first floor – with straight timbers connected by secret lap joints. Sir Charles Nicholson’s, work is characterized by dying arches. The 15th octagonal font came from the chapel at Upminster Hall. There is a good collection of brasses and many memorials including one with inscriptions by Eric Gill
Churchyard. The oldest memorials in the churchyard are four headstones - Two from 1717 and the others 1710 and 1695. Gaynes Parkway Grassed amenity area alongside the Ingrebourne Gaynes Road The local manor name of Gaynes comes from the manor holder at the Conquest – Engaine. It was used in Gaynes Park, location of a local manor house, Great Gaynes
The line to Grays was built in 1892 with a 105 ft span bridge over the Ingrebourne.
St. Mary’s Lane
Also once called Upminster Hill
Upminster Park. This is on the area of the glebe and was bought by the local authority in the 1920s. In the Second World War underground air raid shelters were built on the north east side and removed after in 1948. A wartime decontamination shelter at the north entrance is used as football changing room
New Windmill Hall. Hexagonal hall built in 1968 and owned by the local authority.
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School Hill Place, Convent of the Sacred Heart of Mary and Sacred Heart of Mary Girls School. . This is a house from 1790 rebuilt in 1871-3 for Temple Soanes by W.G. Bartlett who had also worked on St.Laurence’s church. It is brick with a staircase tower, and timber porch installed in.1900. Inside is stained glass by Morris & Co. Designed by Burne-Jones. It was taken over by The Congregation of the Religious of The Sacred Heart of Mary founded in 1849 in France by Père Pierre Jean Gailhac and Madame Appolonia Pelissier-Cure who took the name of Mother St. John. Some of the nuns, Béziers Sisters, were in Liverpool in 1872 and then east London and they bought Hill Place for a school. The Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School began as a small fee paying school. Some of the grounds were sold and extensions built. In the Second World War the school was evacuated to Buckinghamshire and the site was taken over by the army. In 1950 it became a voluntary aided secondary modern school. The main building dates from 1930-9 by Marshall & Archard but never finished and there are additions from the 1970s and 1990s.
70 Independent Chapel. Dissenters Meeting House. Converted for use by the school. Built 1800 by James Nokes and Samule Hammond for Protestant Dissenters, formed by parishioners who had had a row with the rector. It was used by The Congregationalists until 1910.
Ingrebourne Cottages, a plain two-storey row opposite Bridge Avenue built as the parish workhouse in 1750 built by John Badger and extended in 1787. Converted to six cottages after the Romford Union workhouse was built in 1836. George Rowe converted it into six cottages. House, previously Hollies Hotel. This is a yellow brick Victorian building corner of Cranborne Gardens.
Upminster Bridge. Over the Ingrebourne a road bridge at the foot of Upminster Hill. A wooden bridge stood here which was replaced in 1891, following heavy rain and floods in 1888. It was twice the width of the old one and a time capsule of local documents and publications was put into the foundations, below the road surface.
Upminster Bridge Station. 17th December 1934. Between Upminster and Hornchurch on the District Line. It was originally a London Midland and Scottish Railway station with art deco buildings. The ticket hall is polygonal and has a reversed swastika tile design on the floor. In 1934 Opened by the District Line
Windmill Pub. This was previously the Bridge Tavern
12 Home of Ian Dury in the 1950s.