Friday, 18 March 2011

Tributary to the Thames - Stream - Bentley

Tributary to the Thames
This tributary rises in this area and flows west towards the Weald Brook, itself a tributary to the Ingrebourne, and the Thames

TQ 57848 96578

Pleasant country village with mill and church, and some modern warehousing industry - plus a busy main road.

Post to the west South Weald Common

Ashwells Road
McColl Martin. Warehousing complex. They are a retailing group with over local 1,250 Convenience stores. The earliest store opened in 1901 in Glasgow and since then there have been takeovers and expansion.
St Paul’s CofE Primary School. In 1864 Henry Moss set up a new church school for the poor of South Weald. In 1893 an infant room was added. Following a fire it was rebuilt in 1923. It was further enlarged in 1958 and 1974

Mores Lane
This was once called Howgate Lane
Bentley mill, recorded 1722, which was on the north side of the lane and was a post mill until c. 1820, when a brick tower mill replaced a wooden building. It was worked by the Moss family 1800 - 1884, when it was sold.
St.Paul’s church designed by Ernest Lee and opened in 1880. Damaged in 1945 by a German rocket. It was opened as a chapel of ease and the vicar, Charles Belli, along with Octavius Coope, of Ind Coope Brewery, funded it and the site was given by Christopher Tower of Weald Hall. It became a parish church in 1951. The church stands beside a wood near Navestock Side.
Bentley Fishery – manmade lakes roughly cover the original area of the stream and spring.

Snakes Hill
The Mores. Woodland managed by the Woodland Trust. Mature woodland with wet areas, including alder woodland. Boardwalks have been provided. The wood has, mature oak trees standing above hornbeam coppice – which once provided fuel for London. Oaks at the western end of the wood were felled at the end of the Second World War. The stream flows through this woodland
Mores Plantation. There is an earthwork here –a writer has suggested that it was a 'temple of the druids' which William Stukeley noted in the 18th.

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
St.Paul's Church. Web site
St.Paul's School. Web site
Victoria History of Essex
Woodland Trust. Web site

No comments: