Thames Tributary Blacks Brook
The Brook continues to flow southwards towards the River Rom
Post to the west Romford
Post to the north Raphael Park
Post to the south Romford
Post to the east Gidea Park
Ice and Cold Storage. This building was at the western end where it once met North Street – demolished for the ring road in the 1960s.
St.Edward’s Parish Hall. Once used as part of the church school. Added to the church as part of extensions built in 1934
Roger Reede’s Almshouses. Moder
n block replacing an older block. Reede was a "Farmer and Cloth Merchant" who died in 1483.
So called because it led to the Dolphin Leisure Centre, since demolished. The name Dolphin itself commemorates a pub which once stood in the market place.
Roman burials found in this area during the construction period.
Dolphin Centre opened 1982. It had a pyramid roof but the panels became distorted and loose. The cost of the centre rose and in 1995 it was closed and replaced by flats and a supermarket
ASDA. This is the bottom part of The Axis which is a block of flats including a 12 storey tower. with an ASDA supermarket beneath. It is on the site of the Dolphin Centre. It was was opened in 2006, by the Mayor of Havering and two-year-old Ellie May Challis. The architects were Goddard Manton.
St. Peter’s School Roman Catholic Primary School. This was founded in 1856 in buildings alongside St Edward's Church in Park End Road and called St Edward's School. In 1968 the school moved to its current site and changed its name of St Peter's as the adjacent Church of England school was also St Edward's.
St Edwards (C.E.) Schools. In 1710 this was the Hornchurch, Romford and Havering Charity School with a section for boys and another for girls. In 1728, they moved to a site in the Market Place and in 1835 became a National School through the Church of England. In 1926, a new building was opened nearby and original school became a public Library. In 1965 the Senior School moved to London Road and in 1976, the Primary School moved to Havering Drive. Commemorative Plaques are preserved and statues from the frontage of the original school and the school bell here. The current school is a series of flat-roofed classrooms, linked by lantern-roofed halls.
Lodge Farm Park
Lodge Farm Park. The site was acquired in 1927 as part of Thomas England's idea of a green route connecting Romford and Havering atte Bower. In 1918 Lodge Farm Estate’s owners, the Roger Reede's Charity, leased it to a dairy company. It was part of their ancient endowment and was called Neades or Staceys Farm. In 1927 they sold it to Romford UDC. Initially it was used as the Council tip, and local people petitioned against it. A scheme to develop the park was agreed in 1961 which two bowling greens, a pavilion, children's playground, and a depot. It was eventually opened in 1961.
The western boundary of the Park follows the line of Black's Brook, flowing from the lake in Raphael Park.
Black's Bridge. This was built over the brook in 1776 when the grounds of Gidea Hall, were landscaped. It is by James Wyatt in red brick with three stone arches with raised stone roundels. Alexander Black was one of the owners of Gidea Hall.
Watermill near the bridge in the 17th.
Black's Canal had been formed by damming the stream and also supplied water features to the formal gardens of Gidea Hall
Pump – on the highway for the use of horse drawn vehicles travelling on this main road.
This the roundabout at the eastern end of the town built on the site of Laurie Square. It has pedestrian subwaysand It was built in 1970 and was named by Dr Werner Ludwig, Oberburgermeister of Ludwigshafen, Romford's twin town, in 1973. Laurie Town was a suburb built in the 1850s byJohn Laurie, a Scottish City businessman, who lived at Marshalls from 1840 - he was a magistrate, a sheriff and a Member of Parliament. He built Laurie Square with pairs of villas on the site of what was known as the Loam pond which was was filled in 1874 and replaced with a public garden.
Laurie Hall survived until 1970 and was used a a Literary Institute and public hall.
St Edwards Hall with tower
Drovers Arms was here until 1875 - A pub with a 'bad reputation'
The road was maintained by the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust from 1721 but earlier the town had grown up round this main road. It was then known as the High Road.
Romford Baptist Church locally listed. This dates from the 1840s and technically the oldest church in Romford.
Police Station. Built in 1965 it houses the District Police Headquarters re-located from West Ham County Court
Job centre Windmill – In 1618 this was on the north side of the road, near the market and its mound survived into the 1920s.
Windmill, there was a post mill opposite Pettits Lane, on the south side of the road. Edward Collier, was the miller there 1829–60. It was demolished by 1871.
29 Jubilee House for all nations. Redeemed Christian Church of God Education Centre
33 Harefield Manor Hotel in locally listed Victorian building. Specialises in last minute weddings.
40 The Clinic, locally listed
37 Hill Court, locally listed. Mansion block of flats
Romford Town Hall. This was planned by the Urban District Council, and occupied by the Municipal Borough in 1935-7. It was built to designs by H. R Collins & A. F O. Geens in brown brick international moderne style. A refreshment hall and assembly hall was never built. Inside it is plain with small council chamber, arranged as a courtroom . There was a caretaker's flat on the top floor and a rates office on the ground floor. It was to have been the first stage of a civic centre and was extended in 1960 and 1988. Original corridors and staircases and some small offices survive.
Romford War Memorial, erected in Laurie Square in 1921 and moved to Coronation Gardens in 1969. In 1996 all the names of both civilians and members of the Forces who died in the Second World War were listed on the base of the monument.
Coronation Gardens. In 1844 it was designated as the site for a new church but this was eventually built elsewhere and this site became the burial ground. The chapel was demolished in 1953, and the area was renamed. The 19th gravestones were placed at the back. In pre-modern period springs from this area fed down through the market area flowing to the Rom.
Upward House. Flats at the corner of Junction Road replaced an arts and crafts house called Edfu which was used by local doctor Edward Upward.
Park End Road
St Edward the Confessor R.C.church .A group of church, former schools and presbytery. This was one of the first post-Reformation R.C. churches to be built in South Essex. It replaced a building of 1852 and is by Daniel Cubitt Nichols. . The main donor was the 12th Lord Petre. It is in ragstone with a timber turret over the nave. The East window has carved heads of St Edward and St Agnes. Inside are figures of St Edward the Confessor and St Agnes by donated by Agnes Clifford, sister of Lord Petre.
Schools of 1891 by George Sherrin, a secularized version of the church.
Presbytery built in Tudor style ragstone.
Flats by Anthony Delarue Associates with towers at the corners.
William Machister was a local resident who gave the land for the construction of the Victoria hospital in the 1880s he lived at The Elms which was on the Main Road
Victoria Centre was the Victoria Hospital. The original buildings were built in 1888. The land was given by local philanthropist William Maschitter. The Victoria Cottage Hospital opened in Pettit's Lane in 1888 on a site donated by William Mashiter and was built in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The Hospital was enlarged in 1893, again paid for by William Maschiter and again in 1912. In 1939 a 3-storey building was added and in 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS but by 1982 it had only 32 beds. The wards closed in 1985, but the Out-Patients Department remained open until 1989. The site has become the Victoria Centre, housing various health care services.
Raphael Park. Given to the town in 1889 by Sir.H.H. Raphael and opened 1904. It is on the site of the 18th landscaped gardens of Gidea Hall which was demolished in 1930. Sir John Eyles, Sub-Governor of the South Sea Co. had the lake built and the formal gardens of this period survive. The pond at the end of the park was drained and tennis courts laid out along its length with a playground in the circular basin. The straight channel was aligned with the axis of the house. Richard Benyon, the next owner, widened he lake and employed and James Wyatt to design the bridge. Thomas England, local councillor wanted this to be part of his green route between Romford and Havering atte Bower.
St. Edward’s Way
Ring road built 1969 on the site of Laurie Square
Central Library, By H. Conolly, Essex County Architect and originally standing in Laurie Square. Built in 1962-6 it has a concrete frame with stone panels. It has a serpentine walled cloakroom, faced in mosaic, with the Librarian's office above. The children's library projects out. When built it won a design award