Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows southwards
TQ 49768 91120
Suburban area built up as part of the early 20th expansion of Romford
Post to the north Havering Park
Post to the south Collier Row
Clockhouse Primary. Weather boarded which is unusual for an Essex County Council building. The school was opened 1936 and later enlarged.
North Romford Community Centre.
Colliers Row Children’s Centre
Hampden House. This was a big house in the area which was home to a series of 19th businessmen including T.F.Nash who bought land here after Eastern Avenue was built – and subsequently built many local houses.
Collier Row Lane
Tesco on the site of 316 Rex Art Deco Cinema designed by Eric Norman Bailey. It opened in 1939 and operated as an independent putting on a combination of variety shows and films. Closed in 1959.
Collier Row Road
Colliers Row – means an area of houses of charcoal burners. Shops and a cinema were built after the Second World War.
54-56 Colley Row Inn. Wetherspoons pub
Ascension Church . Designed in 1884 by Ernest C. Lee and intended as a humble mission church built for a largely agricultural area. It is in red brick and was the parish church from 1928
Colliers Row Recreation ground –through which the River Rom flows
Colliers Row Gospel Hall
Forest Lodge School was originally North Romford Comprehensive School and the first comprehensive school in Essex. Opened 1959. Now demolished for housing.
The Lodge. Care home.
Ascension Church. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clockhouse School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History. Essex
Wetherspoons. Web site