Saturday, 16 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Romford

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows south east and is joined by a tributary from the north east.


Post to the west Mawneys
Post to the east Romford
Post to the south New Romford


Brooklands Avenue
Remains of gateway
leading to housing on the site of Brooklands Stadium. This was the home of Romford football club 1929 - April 1977 and other sports clubs. There was a small stand and banking round the oval pitch. Later a stand called clockside terrace was built. It was later used for speedway but noise and debt meant it was eventually closed

Chesham Close
Trading estates
Coborn Engineering.
Machine tool company set up in Ilford in 1940s and moved here in the 1960s;

Eastern Avenue West
Built in 1925
Acorn Works
was the Metcalfe Bus Company factory which was a private bus works and garage in the 1930s.
Gosling Engine Works
was also there and was the Star Garage, for private buses in the 1930s.
Hubbinet Industrial Estate.

Hainault Road
Trading Estates

Marshalls Park
Area taking its name from a house called Marshalls. Only part of Romford not developed by the First World War. Estate bought by William Hunnable, Vice Chair of Romford UDC and he died in 1928.

Mawney Road
King George’s Playing Fields
, also called Mawney Park
The Marlborough Pub

St John the Divine.
Originally begun in 1897, when an iron mission church, was opened elsewhere in Romford. In time a building of Byzantine type design by V. Carde was begun here in 1927 and completed in 1932 in a simplified form by Herbert Passmore. It became a church for a new parish. It has a foundation stone all in Latin. A war memorial chapel was added in 1948, and the choir vestry in 1966-8. More work was done by Laurence King in 1979. It is a brick building with a tower only completed in 1980. It has at times had a tiny congregation and does not seem to have its own web site.

Medora Road
Trading Estates

North Street
Bus garage.
Opened in 1953. Huge and very impressive – with some Holden stylistic elements. Built on the site of some allotments. Designed by LT article Thomas Bilbow and originally could house 115 buses. There are also service and social buildings. Currently operated by a Stagecoach subsidiary company.
96-102
late 17th timber framed building.
The Squire pub
. This was originally the Parkside Hotel.

No comments: