Thames Tributary Cripsey Brook
The Brook flows eastwards towards the River Roding
A Tributary stream flows north towards the Cripsey Brook
Post to the west Delved Bridge, North Weald
post to the north 49 07 Canes Wood
A414 by pass
Recently built road which by passes North Weald.
North Weald Airfield
Main runway – only the northern section on this square. The airfield has a 1920 m (6300 ft) main runway. At the beginning of the Second World War it had two paved runways, each 50' wide. The north-south runway was 2800 feet long and
The airfield was built in 1916 as an RAF night landing ground and used in the First World War. It was later used during the Battle of Britain for 11 group equipped with Hawker Hurricanes, but eventually over 20 squadrons of fighter aircraft were stationed there. After the war the main runway was extended twice to cater for jet aircraft but in 1958 it was used only by the Essex Gliding Club. It was sold to Epping Forest District Council in 1979.
North Weald Golf Club. Opened in 1966
Little Weald Hall. This used to be called New Hall, and is a timber-framed 17th building.
North Weald Burial Ground. Children’s Garden with statues. Garden of Remembrance. Many war graves from the Second World War particularly from North Weald Bassett Aerodrome, by the R.A.F. Station at Stapleford Tawney, and also to the Essex Regiment.
St. Andrew’s Church. The church dates from 1330 and was built on the site of an earlier church and was attached to the nunnery at Clerkenwell. Built of flints and Roman brick. The high brick tower was built in 1500 with battlements and there are six bells. On the south wall is a sundial from 1706. Following a fire in 1964 some items were removed from the church and medieval wall paintings were discovered. The lychgate was dedicated in 1912.
Vicarage. A vicarage existed in the 17th century but the current building is 19th in brick and roughcast
Church Cottage. This used to be called The Old School House. This is a 17th Cottage, timber framed, and plastered with weatherboarding and brick cladding. A school was endowed here by Simon Thorogood, fishmonger, of London in 1635, and used the 19th, when it became the schoolmaster's house.
Church Hall – this is the church school built in 1842 on the site of another cottage
St. Clements. This is a 17th house, timber framed, and part weather boarded,
White friars. 19th brick house.
Chase farm. Now business units
Art Nursery garden centre