Monday, 6 June 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Fyfield

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south west and is joined by a tributary from the north west


TL 57 08
Post to the west - Lampetts - 56 08
Post to the north - Butt Hatch Farm - 57 09
post to the east Miller's Green-58 08
Post to the south - Fyfield - 57 07

Dunmow Road
Ernest Doe Power. Showroom and workshops of Ernest Doe & Son, tractor repairers. In 1898, Ernest Doe had a blacksmith business in the Maldon area and within ten years the firm had expanded into farming. Further expansion resulted from the purchase of army surplus tractors after the First World War and also became an agent for Fordson, and later for Ransomes. The Fyfield works opened in 1943 following more wartime expansion. The firm remains in family hands.
Brickyards Late 16th house timber framed. Perhaps originally built as brickmaster's house.
Black Bull. Public House and hotel. Early 15th timber framed building with some weatherboarding and extensions throughout the centuries.
Pickerells farm was formerly known as Ash's Farm and was also owned by Lord Dacre. It is late 17th.
Little Forge. 17th house timber framed
Pickerells. The site of a big house, called Pickerells. In the 18th this belonged to the Brand family and became the property of Lord Dacre and had been demolished by 1835. Its foundations have been found on site.
Dacres Gate – amazing chimneys on the lodge, the rest is a new development of pastiche 18th houses.
Clarke's Farmhouse. 16th timber framed house

No comments: