Sunday, 12 June 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Hallsford

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south and is met by a tributary from the east


Post to the north High Ongar
Post to the east Stondon Massey
Post to the west Ongar
Post to the south Great Myles

Mill Lane
Essex County Council Tip
Hanson Waste Services Tip

Hallsford brickworks.

Ongar Road
Mechtest. Engineering works opened 1952 to repair agricultural machinery.
ABC Nursery and Pre SchoolHallsford Farm House. This used to be Bridge Farm on lower ground and dating from 16th. Rebuilt in the 1880s.

Stondon Road
Hallsford Bridge, the crossing here is late 18th, before which it was a ford. The present bridge was built by Essex County Council in 1934.
Hallsford Bridge Meadow. The site was Ongar sewage treatment works built in the late 1890s and in use until 1932. It was then returned to grassland and rough grazing. It is now regarded as an area of nature interest. The grassland has occasional Cowslips, and can a small number of Bee Orchids. Because it is near the Roding there are lots of damselflies. There is a big pendunculate oak in the hedgerow

No comments: