Thursday, 9 June 2011

Thames Tributary Roding –tributary stream - High Ongar

Thames Tributary Roding –tributary stream
The Tributary stream flows north west towards the Roding


Post to the north Norton Mandeville
Post to the east Norton Heath
Post to the west Crownlands

Chelmsford Road
Chevers Hall. This was once Chivers Hall and was also called Passfield Chivers and was a manor. It is a 17th house, timber-framed and plastered. Records of ownership go back to the mid 14th and by the 16th was held by the Pawne family but was later sold. This has now been converted to housing along with barns and farm buildings
Chevers Hall Cottages

King Street
Paslow Hall. 16th house which includes earlier parts and with an 18th brick façade. Timber framed and plastered and the south front faced with red brick. The south wing is probably the area of the old great hall rebuilt in the 18th century. Records of manorial courts here go back to the mid-13th and it was also known as Pasfield. It is mentioned in a deed if Edward the Confessor when it was passed to Waltham Abbey with whom it remained until the dissolution. It was then passed through a number of the nobility and eventually became part of the Forest Hall Estate centered on Blake Hall and was left to tenant farmers. In 1904 Hugh Craig, a tenant here made Cheddar cheeses, using 160 gallons of milk. After the First World War it was bought as a dairy farm by the Stratford Co-operative Society who used it as the central part of their local network of properties. It is now in use by a series of industrial units.
Granary at Paslow Hall. 17th building timber framed and weather boarded,
Stable at Paslow Hall. 18th timber framed and weather boarded
Cart Lodge at Paslow Hall. 16th building timber framed and weather boarded
Old Withers Farm, 17th house Timber framed and plastered. This is an ancient moated site – since filled in. the name comes from a 14th owner, Richard Wyther
Stable at Old Wythers Farm. 19, timber framed and weather boarded,
King Street Farm. Farmhouse 1600, timber framed and pebble dashed. It is older than the farm itself. The farm was ‘Improved’ and rebuilt in the late 19th.
Barn and byre at King Street Farm. 19th red brick. There is a white cross on the gable of the byre. There is also a wagon lodge and other buildings grouped around a courtyard.

No comments: