Thames Tributary Cripsey Brook
Two branches of Cripsey Brook, flowing from the west and from the north join here and flow together south eastwards to the River Roding.
TL 53 07
Post to the west - Moreton - 52 07
Post to the north - Moreton - 53 08
Post to the east Moreton
St.Mary the Virgin. The church may date 11th grant of land but the current building is 13th in flint rubble with original clunch dressing now replaced. It has a16th red brick castellated tower with a shingled spire. This was rebuilt in 1786 following damage in high winds and the church itself was ‘restored’ in 1869. Later a medieval ceiling painting was discovered which is now on show. There are six bells two of which are 17th and there is a late 12th marble font.
Rectory – this is an L-shaped building timber-framed and plastered but now faced with brick. A chimney base and some timbers may remain from an earlier 17th rectory. A series of rectors in the 17th and 18th were prominent intellectuals of various sorts.
Ivylands. The house has a pedimented door hood and may be 18th. It is 17th, timber framed and plastered with the original pierced, decorated bargeboards.
Garden House. 18th timber framed and plastered house.
Leapers. 19th timber framed, and plastered house
Nags Head. This was also known as the Moreton Massey. It is roughcast building originally two 16th houses which were timber framed and plastered. There is an iron pump on one wall.
House next to the pub.16th timber framed and plastered with a weather boarded dado
Village hall. Built in 1920.
Moreton Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School. In the early 19th the rector, William Wilson set up a Sunday school and a day school and, in his will of 1821 endowed a day school and it was built in 1821. In 1902 it was taken over by Essex Education Committee and in 1950 it became grant aided
Hancocks. 16th open hall house. Timber framed and plastered
Garage which was originally a 16th detached kitchen. It is rendered on a timber frame. It is a remarkable example of a medieval detached kitchen, associated with a Hancock’s, medieval hall house
Upper Hall, 16th house timber framed and plastered.
Moreton Bridge Road
White Hart Inn. 16th pub. The first floor is supported on curved brackets. Timber framed and plastered
Black Hall or Guildhall Cottage is said to have been the meeting place of the Guild of All Saints. The building dates from the later 15th and seems to confirm this. The house is timber framed and plastered with the frame exposed outside and consists of what was an open hall and alterations date from the 16th. There are two paintings in the old screen passage.
Castle House and Stores. 16th house altered in the 18th. It is timber framed and plastered. Now totally residential.
Forge Cottage. 16th house Timber framed and plastered.
Manor Cottage. 16th house timber framed and black weather boarded.
Moreton Bridge. This is over the Cripsey Brook and the point at which a Roman Road to Great Dunmow crossed it. Moreton residents were responsible for it and in 1761 they built a new cart bridge to replace the previous horse bridge which was paid for jointly with Bobbingworth. From 1783 it was managed by the County and rebuilt in brick by John Johnson, the county surveyor. It is now a narrow, single span red brick bridge with a high semi-circular arch, with abutments and two original buttresses on one side. There are stone parapets
Bobbingworth Landfill Site .During the 1950s it was used for gravel extraction and then 1961 - 1972 it was used as a local tip and by 1974 was full and grassed over. In 1989 it was capped with soil and in 2004 it was decided to create a park with wetlands, a wildflower meadow, copses and hedgerows.
Sewage Treatment Works
New Farm, 16th house with 20th alterations. Timber framed and rough rendered
Barn. This is 15th, timber framed and weather boarded.
Water-mill. The mill house was demolished about 1860.
House. 17 house, timber framed and plastered, with 19th yellow brick front.