Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south and is joined by Cripsey Brook from the west and another tributary from the east
TL 55145 02685
This is the southern part of the interesting and ancient town of Chipping Ongar - the market area near the crossing of the Crispey Brook. The main street climbs from the bridge past shops and pubs.
Post to the north Ongar
Post to the east Hallsford
Post to the south Langford
Cripsey Brook Nature Reserve at Ongar Bridge
Ongar Bridge. The bridge was in place at the end of the 15th. Before that it is probable there was a timber bridge and a ford. The county council took it over and built the present three-arched brick bridge in 1797. It was designed by the county surveyor John Johnson. A raised causeway from the Two Brewers to the bridge was also built. The bridge was widened in the 1950s ad the parapet removed while concrete slab extensions were installed as a pavement
Ongar Gas-works in use 1836-1934. It was begun by gas engineer S.J. Evans, managed in conjunction with the neighbouring brick-works and taken over by the local authority in 1880. It should perhaps be noted that some of both the Barlow and Jones families, who founded many early gas works, lived in this area.
Brickfield opened c.1800 and closed 1917.
Brewery Cottage. associated with the brewery which stood behind Dyers at Marden Ash
The Gables. built in the 1880s and in the 1930s it was the Mary MacArthur Holiday Home for Working Women,
1 Delimores Sandwich Bar
1 Ashley Craft and Galleries in rear building in brick institutional style.
87 Grey End. 18th house which is timber framed with brick extension and a weather boarded central block. It has a cast iron tent porch with ornate trellis, frieze and panelling. It was once called ‘The Nook”.
The southern arm of the town’s defensive structure is preserved in the line of the street.
10 house built 1800 in red brick. There is a brick arch in the wall on the road and an ornate metal porch supported by 6 columns. A brick is inscribed ‘T. Williams 1800’. Currently occupied by a firm of lawyers.
21 White House. This has ‘1599’ on a beam. It is timber framed with the front brick added in 1835 and painted white. 16th fireplace upstairs
Building at the back of Wren House. Office building from the 19th timber framed and painted plus herringbone weatherboard. Perhaps it was originally a carpenter’s workshop
79 building at the back of the White House. This is 18th and painted brick building
St Martin’s Cottage. 18th house, timber framed and plastered
St.Martin of Tours. A Norman village church with a 15th belfry. It was built of flint, rubble and roman bricks in the 13th with a steeple of weatherboard and shingle with two bells. In the chancel wall us a possible anchorite’s cell from where a small window looks into the chancel and on the outside is a little door. South aisle added in 1840 for boys from Ongar Grammar School. There is a monument by Nollekens to Mrs. Mitford 1776.
Two Brewers. In business as a pub since 1791. It is timber framed and plastered.
Building at the back of the Two Brewers pub which could be a brew house or a granary. It is 18th, timber framed and weather boarded
The street widens out at the site of the market place, and narrows at the site of gates which allowed access through the town’s defensive ditch.
25 Essex Economic fire insurance plaque
31-33 18th timber framed, part rendered part weather boarded cottages
35-37 Roseberry Cottages with enameled name plate.
38 plaque saying ‘T Reeve 1825”
39 18th brick house
40 17th house timber framed and plastered with 20th pargetting. There is a plaque with ‘AD.1666; and a pump at the back
51 Cottage, 18th with a painted brick front and timber framed
53 17th house now a shop. Timber framed and plastered
60 Barncroft. House, from the 17th or earlier with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered with 20th pargetting.
82-88 Livingstone Cottages once called Chapel Cottages. 2 blocks of cottages with a central passageway. 18th Timber framed and rendered. A plaque says “vested in Trustees for
the benefit of the Congregational Church, pursuant to the wishes of the late Josiah Gilbert 15 August 1892". David Livingstone lived here in 1838 before going to Central Africa
United Reformed Church. This was originally a Congregational Chapel. An access archway to it was constructed through the row of timber framed cottages. It was here that David Livingstone was trained. Isaac Taylor was one of the pastors.
Independent Meeting House – this was opened in 1720 the site of the United Reformed Church, which replaced it in 1833.
85 Central Spares. 17th house, now a shop. Timber framed and plastered.
87 workshops behind. One was used as a lime store. Since demolished
90 18th House with 18th façade. Timber framed and plastered
96 18th house used by Opticians, Pipkin Partnership. The main building follows the line of the outer defences of the Castle. It is timber framed and plastered, with decoration
99 Royal Oak: 400 year old pub.
101-103 Lewis Stationers, and Padmore Butchers. Shops originally part of the public house. 17th with later alterations. Timber framed and rendered
102 House from the 17th with a 20th extension. Timber framed and plastered with 20th pargetting.
104-106 brick house from the 19th divided into two.
107–109 Ongar Post Office in a house from the 16th, now shops. Timber framed and rendered. Workshops at the rear
Parish pound, cage and pillory were at the southern end of the market near the current Post Office. In 1786 they were moved for the Assembly and Card Rooms and later demolished.
Assembly and Card Rooms. These were built in.1786 and demolished c.1830.
108 19th timber framed and plastered house
113 Jessamine Cottage from the 18th timber framed and rendered
115 Jessamine House 114 Holmlea, 1780. Was built in about 1780, but the delicate porch in Adam style is early 19th century.
117 Cottage from the 18th timber framed and rendered and weather boarded.
118 Essex House.
121 to 127 cottages, now shops. 17th timber framed and rendered.
124 pigeon loft at the back
129 Cottage from the 17th, timber framed and plastered with weatherboard. This was the Bell- at one time Ongar’s only free house. It is at the narrowest part of the High Street and marks the site of a gateway across the medieval defensive ditch.
134-140 three shops with 17th origins. Timber framed and plastered.
146–148 Shop in a 17th building originally part of 150, timber framed and plastered.
147-149 This is an 18th house n ow two shops. It is timber framed and plastered
150 Old Corner Shop. This is a 17th building used as a shop. Timber framed and plastered. And there are two attached buildings from the 15th.date of 1582 over the lintel.
151-153 16th house, now a shop. Timber framed and plastered.
152 Wren House. 16th building used as a shop. Timber framed and plastered. There are three steps to the front door with wrought iron rails.
157 Greylands. Red brick garden wall from the 18th and of variable height. A plaque records the property rights and the builder. There is also a plaque recording the town twinning with Cerizay.
161 -165 A 17th building now divided into three shops. Timber framed and plastered with pargetting.
165. 17th building used as a shop. Timber framed and plastered with pargetting. A marble slab records its use by P.J. Carter, family butcher. Old slaughter house at the back plus a boxed wood pump.
171 George Yard building at the back now a shop. It is 17th Timber framed with 19th weatherboarding outbuilding at the back. Used for stabling by Carters Butchers. Built in the 17th timber framed, and plastered. It has loft doors and a louvre on the first floor, all the doors have the original iron hinges.
Market-place. The market’s original site was in the middle of the High Street. There were two market crosses from 1343, removed in the 19th.
171 Kismet Indian, previously the Clifton Café. This is a 17th building which was originally The Market House, or the Butter Market with open arches on the ground floor. It was converted into shops in the 19th Timber framed and plastered. Royal Insurance plaque
174, 176, 178. Three shops in 18th buildings. Timber framed and plastered
177 Kings Head Pub. Late 17th building in red brick with a central carriage entrance. A brick carries the date of "1697 T.P.S.". Sun Fire Insurance plaque. An old coaching inn which was later renamed the Kings Inn and now closed
180–182 two 18th shops. Timber framed and rendered
181 18th brick house which is now a shop.
184-186 Barclays Bank
190-194 three shops from the 18th. Timber framed and plastered
191 -195 These shops were originally houses built in the l7th. Timber framed, part weatherboard, part rendered. A plaque says "Joseph King decd. 28/2/1679 left this row of properties in Trust, to provide, out of the rents, the Schooling for the poor children of this Parish. The Trustees continue to use the income for educational purposes."
198-204 shops from the 18th and 19th timber framed and plastered. Co-operative signage on the front
199- 205 These were built in the 17th as houses but are now shops. Timber framed, part weatherboard and rendered with some original pargetting
201-205 King’s Trust Cottages were left in trust by one, Joseph King, for the education of poor children and the giving of bibles to poor families. He was an Ongar man, who had ironmongery in London, and died in 1678. The cottages are timber framed and the original school occupied part of the building.
Poorhouse opened in 1748 next to the rectory buildings. It was replaced in 1797 on the glebe north of the rectory. Since demolished.
Telephone Kiosk K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various contractors. Cast iron.
Town Hall was demolished in 1896-7 to help traffic congestion.
This is now essentially a suburb to the south of Chipping Ongar but historically it has links with High Ongar. The name ‘Marden’ has been used since the 11th and means 'boundary valley'. It is thus likely that it marked the boundary of Chipping Ongar and High Ongar.
Rectory. This is a 17th house bought for the rector in 1723. It is Timber framed and rendered.
Cottage on the corner of Cloverly Road 18th timber framed and weather boarded. .
Newhouse Farmhouse.1600. Timber framed and rendered.
Stanford Rivers Road
The Cottage. Cottage orne lodge from the 18th, timber framed and plastered with a thatched roof, and projecting eaves, supported on rustic veranda posts. It has pointed gothic windows
St James Avenue
St James Church. In 1879 it was felt a church was needed for the Marden Ash area, James Trayler gave the land for a church. The foundation stone was laid in 1882 and the church opened the following year. In 1945 a V2 rocket fell close-by damaging it beyond repair. In 1954 fund raising started for a new church which was opened in 1958 on the original site.
Church hall – built in the 1960s
British History Online. Ongar. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Ongar Millennium History Society. Web site
Ongar Town Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
St James Church. Web site
St.Martin's Church. Web site
United Reformed Church. Web site
Victoria History of Essex.