Thames Tributary- Tributary to the Cripsey Brook
The Tributary flows north eastwards towards Cripsey Brook
Post to the north Bilsdens
Post to the west Greensted Green
Post to the east Ongar
Post to the south Greensted
This is a wood primarily made up of oak and elm plus a tangle of hawthorn and blackthorn, There is also some hornbeam and field maple coppice as well as elder. In the spring there are primroses
There are checker trees in the hedgerows here and ‘checker’ is also used in ancient field names
Roman remains. Two buildings were found with a hypocaust, tiles and 3rd pottery. Examination of the area produced pottery, glass and an iron axe head and many Roman finds have turned up in nearby fields. A Roman kiln was also found as well as an oven and a possible third kiln.
Greensted Hall. This is probably a medieval hall house extensively rebuilt in 1700. It is timber framed with brick cladding. There is a sundial on the wall dated 1698 ‘A and M.C.’ for Alexander and Mary Cleeve. The date "1695" is also shown. Now divided into three homes. It was bought by Alexander Cleeve, administrator of Gambia, in 1695 who largely rebuilt it. On his death it was sold in 1752, to David Rebobiter and in 1837 along with adjoining estates by the Rev. Budworth, a Cleeve descendent. His son extended this and became important in the local community. Residents included Julia Hutchinson was born here in 1834 and went on to marry George Farr. She set up a charity for orphaned girls in Australia. Gerard Corley Smith also lived here, a British ambassador expelled from Haiti for criticising Papa Doc Duvalier. Later he worked in Ecuador and the Galápagos which he held set up as a park working for the Charles Darwin Foundation.
Brew house. 17th timber framed building converted into a cottage in 1950.
Coach House. 17th building with painted brick and weatherboard. The pargetting is 20th. Hooped iron railings round the garden.
Hall Farm. This is the home farm for Greensted Hall. Barn built in the l7th. Timber framed and weather boarded.
Mentioned in Domesday this is made up largely of coppiced hornbeam plus some oak grown for timber. It includes some recorded veteran trees.
Pensons Lane has been claimed as part of the Roman road to Colchester from London. It is a public bridleway bordered by ancient hedgerows.
Ponds along the route of the lane were pits from which gravel was dug to use on the track of the adjacent railway.
New Barns Cottages