Thames Tributary - tributary to the river Roding
The tributary flows south west
Post to the west Hobbs Cross Farm
Post to the north Mount End
Post to the east Theydon Mount
Post to the south Abridge Golf Course
Route of Roman Road
Hill Hall house. It replaced an earlier house, occupied since the 12th century, on the same site. Built 1569-75 for Sir Thomas Smith, probably to his own design, with Richard Kirby. Major alterations in the early 20th by Reginald Blomfield for Charles Hunter. Became a prison 1952 and was gutted by fire 1969. It is brick with rendered terracotta. Inside are Tudor wall-paintings and other decorative features. The house is a landmark in the use of Renaissance ideas in England and it is quite exceptional. Now converted to housing.
Gardens altered by Humphrey Repton 1791 and altered in the 20h by Philip Tilden for Sir Robert and Lady Hudson. Includes a ‘Wilderness’ and old parkland with veteran trees, including ancient pollarded oaks, known to support characteristic fauna, including bat roosts
Bathing pavilion by Philip Tilden 1927 Circular with a domed roof. It is at the end of the bathing pool
Hut - Red brick, hexagonal building from the 19th, this is near the pavilion and the pool
Avenue of trees leading up to the house.