Saturday, 6 August 2011

Thames Tributary – River Roding - Abridge

Thames Tributary – River Roding
The Roding flows westwards


Village north of Chigwell and east of Loughton with a major crossing of the Roding.   This is the village centre with pubs, a few shops, churches and houses

Post to the west London Road
Post to the south Marchings
Post to the north Theydon Hall
Post to the east Lambourne

Abridge Road
Roding Bridge. 19th red brick bridge with limestone keystones. This is an important bridge said to have once been Aeffa's Bridge from which Abridge is named. It became a county bridge after 1594 and rebuilt in 1707. However by the mid 19th flooding was a problem and plans were drawn up for an embankment and culverts paid for jointly by the parish and the county. The present bridge is the result of this.

Chapel Chase
Evangelical Free Church. The church started in 1923 and this building was set up in 1924. It is wood with a cement-rendered front

Hoe Lane
36 Lambourne Primary School. This was built in 1842 for children who lived in Abridge. To start with only half it was built and the rest added in 1879. The school bell is said to have come from an old locomotive and was rung to start the school day until 1946, and since then has been on display. A bell is still rung every morning.
Abridge Cricket Club. John Lockwood Ground and pavilion. The club traces itself back to 1838.

London Road
2 The Maltster's Arms Public House. The site now includes two adjoining cottages. It is 18th timber framed and weather boarded plus a rear extension and bake house.
Chapel. This is a plain brick building opened by the Wesleyans in 1833 when Abridge was known as ‘Little Sodom’. In 1844 it was taken over by Congregationalists. In 1877 new classrooms were added but it ceased having a religious use in 1905 and was used as a parish room. It is now housing.
Abridge Park Homes - Caravan Park
Great Downs Farm. Two barns – one, the smaller, is 18th timber framed and weather boarded. The other is 17th timber framed and partly weather boarded
Gould's Cottages. A terrace of 5 brick houses from about 1840.
47 The Log Cabin. Complete with totem pole, wooden Indian and lake, all built by Ron.
The Roding Herd of Pedigree Simmentals. This was established in 1982 with three foundation cows, from Swiss and German bloodlines.
91 Abridge Autos was Abridge Fast Fit Garage but now it has been taken over by Sean (and Robbie and Dan)

Market Place
Roding Restaurant. Three buildings of different periods put together as a restaurant. Timber framed and plastered, one is a 15th house jettied at the front, with shop windows below. Another is 17th also with shop windows and then a 19th building.
House, next to Roding Restaurant 18th timber framed, plastered with weather boarded dado,
House, previously a shop by the bridge. 16th
Blue Boar. Early 19th public house with painted brick symmetrical front. The Blue Boar is a badge of the house of Lancaster. The site includes 19th brewery structures and a malt house from the Anchor Brewery. The pub was a stop for coaches, and later buses.
Abridge Brewery. This had been the Anchor Brewery and lastly a store for Whitbreads
K6 telephone box in the pub car park
Retreat House. Once used as a post office. 18th with a symmetrical weather-boarded front
House adjacent to the ex-post office. 16th building
Two shops and a house in a 14th Hall house. Timber framed, plaster and painted brick,

Pancroft Estate,
Prefabricated houses and fifty post-war council houses.

Ongar Road
1 Roding Hall. This was the White Hart pub rebuilt on its ancient site in the late 19th
Holy Trinity. This was built in 1836 as a chapel of ease to St Mary & All Saints Lambourne. It is a plain building in brick with a front added in 1877. Currently closed because of dry rot
River Cottage. 18th house timber framed, weather boarded, and roughcast. Door surround carved with fruit, leaves and children's heads
The Sycamores. An old house whose features have been removed in rebuilding.

The Chase
Maryon Terrace. Eight red brick cottages dated 1841

The Poplars
The Poplars was a big 19th house. It was demolished and replaced with council housing in the mid 1960s.

White Hall
White Hall, This dates from 1729. It has a plastered Georgian front with a parapet.

Sources
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

No comments: