Sunday, 21 August 2011

Thames Tributary – tributaries to the River Roding - Chigwell

Thames Tributary – tributaries to the River Roding
A tributary rises in this area and flows west and north. It is joined by another tributary from the east.

TQ 43052 92060

Suburban area to the south of Chigwell. Some institutions, golf and open space


Post to the west Woodford Bridge
Post to the north Chigwell
Post to the east Grange Hill
Post to the south Claybury


Chigwell High Road
Broomhill House and Broomhill Cottage. cottage, 18th House, divided into 2 cottages. Timber framed
Little West Hatch. Early 19th house in Stuccoed brick, Used by LCC from the 1930s in conjunction with Great West Hatch as accommodation for their patients. Closed 1966. Now a private house.
Chigwell Golf course. The course was built in 1924 and opened in 1925 by the Lord Lieutenant of Essex. The Club House is a 19th in brick with front covered in stucco which is marked look like stone blocks at the back is a part weather boarded, extension
Chigwell Lodge. 18th House in brick with a bell-turret
Flint Cottage. 19th House, of brick with panels of flint
Ten Mile Cottage. 18th house Timber framed and rendered
Cedar Lodge. Housing development which includes Great West Hatch House of 1800. This became Great West Hatch Hospital in the 1930s as a home for girls with learning difficulties, part of the Royal Eastern Counties Institution for Mental Defectives. Taken over by LCC in 1938. In 1948 under the NHS was part of the South Ockendon Institution for Mental Defectives. It was renamed West Hatch Hospital in 1988 and closed in 1992.

Turpins Lane
St.John’s Catholic Secondary School. The school originated in a boarding school run by the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary in 1897 for delicate children. In 1972 it became a day school for children with learning difficulties

Sources
Chigwell Golf Club. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Lost Hospitals. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
St. John's School. Web site

No comments: