Thames Tributary = tributary to the River Roding
The tributary flows southwards and is met by another tributary from the west.
Post to the west Blunt's Farm
Post to the north Hobbs Cross
Post to the east Hill Hall
Post to the south Hobbs Cross Road
The Priory. 17th House which was once the Rectory. It is timber framed faced with red brick. Barn. 16th Timber framed and weather boarded
All Saints Church. Dates from 13th and is said to be sited here because of an adjacent road to London. It is also thought that Queen Elizabeth visited the church while staying at Garnish Hall in 1572. 13th with later additions built of flint rubble. The tower is Tudor. On the wall outside is a panel to "Syr John Crosbe Knyghyt late alderman and grosar of London’ and there is also a scratch dial and above it a Sundial. Inside are bequest boards and hatchments as well as many interesting tombs and memorials. An oak door used as a bookcase came from a medieval priest’s house which was in the churchyard, until 1924.
Hobbs Cross Road
Hobbs Cross Farm. The farm was a mid 19th replacement by Sir William Bowyer-Smijth to replace one which had been demolished. It was run recently as an ‘open farm’ and a tourist attraction. Now Equestrian Centre and Business centre
Cottages. These were the Fitzwilliam Almshouses. Endowed in 1602 by Anne Sidney, Lady Fitzwilliam of Gaynes Park. These were built for four poor widows, money was invested and the almshouses continued. By 1895 they were very dilapidated and in 1923 they were sold. They are four small red brick cottages with brass plates on the doors.
Route of Roman Road