Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding - Debden Estate

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
Two tributaries meet here and flow south east – one from the north and one from the west
.

TQ 4466596311

Interesting industrial area alongside the M11 plus part of the Debden Estate

Post to the north Debden
Post to the east Abridge Road
Post to the south Loughton Bridge

Langston Road
Sports field
Industrial estate
Bank of England Printing Works 1950s. The works is now operated by De La Rue, specialised London based printers. Bank notes had been printed in Old Street since 1916 and in 1956 moved here. The factory was designed by Easton & Robertson and built by Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons Ltd.
Aerzen House. Headquarters of machine company.
The Crystal Building. Headquarters of Clinton Cards

Station Approach
Debden Station. The station was originally opened in 1865 and now stands between Loughton and Theydon Bois on the Central Line. It began as a one platform halt and passing place by the Eastern Counties Railway as part of their extension to Ongar. It was originally called Chigwell Road, and renamed the same year as Chigwell Lane. The original stationmaster’s house survives. The station was closed in 1916 until 1919 and became part of the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923. As part of 1930s "New Works Programme" it was to become part of the Central Line owned by London Transport although was still lit with oil lamps in 1940. Upgrading work was completed by in 1948, services being replaced with electric in 1949. British Railways then operating the goods services until 1964 and there were two sidings. As a Central Line station it was renamed Debden after the nearby estate and it was designed as a potential terminal and a special siding to allow trains to be turned back is still in use. In 1974 the station was again reconfigured with part Government funding with a new ticket hall, canopies and lighting.

The Broadway
The Winston Churchill

Westhall Road
Clydesdale pub

Sources
Day. London Underground
London Railway Record
Victoria County History. Essex

No comments: