Thames Tributary Cranbrook
The Cranbrook flows south west towards the Roding in a partly culverted course between houses.
Post to the north Barkingside
Post to the south Seven Kings
53 Viridian Care Home. As Hearth and Home Limited, founded by Joan Bartlett, opened their first home in 1945 for people bombed out in the Blitz .Its name changed to Servite Houses in 1974. Since then he organisation has grown and in 2010 became Viridian Housing.
Ilford Emergency Hospital was opened in 1912 with twenty beds. In 1915, it became an approved military hospital affiliated with Colchester Military Hospital. When the Becontree estate was built the LCC thought that authorities other than them should provide hospitals and the only health facilities for acute care were here. In 1926 the War Memorial Children's Wing was added and resident House Officers were appointed sit her was a doctor on the premises. There were continuing attempts to fund raise and to extend the hospital. By 1929 money had been raised locally and A new hospital was built on the site and incorporated by royal charter as the King George V Hospital. It opened in 1930 and fronted Eastern Avenue
Part of Birkbeck Estate along with surrounding roads. This was essentially a plotland development where intending residents, who were shareholders in the Birkbeck Building Society, built their own homes on an estate laid out on a grid pattern in an isolated area with no facilities or transport laid on. The land had been bought from Perryman’s farm and the scheme set up by Francis Ravenscroft in 1851 and named after Dr.George Birkbeck. There has been considerable infilling since.
Salvation Army Hall, Newbury Park. Now closed and gone.
In the 15th the northern part of the Cranbrook was sometimes called ‘Buntons Brook,' a name associated with a local family and a farm. It was later used for ‘Bunters’ or ‘Bunting Bridge’ at then point at which the stream crossed Horns Road
Mill ponds in the area north of here in the 17th possibly to serve a tannery.
Redbridge Diabetes Centre
St Laurence Church. Built in 1939 and designed by N.F.Cachemaille-Day and built of light-brown brick. It was built following the establishment of an iron church a few streets away in the early 20th.
Eastern Avenue East
A12 Arterial road built in the 1920s to bypass Ilford and the old Roman road into Essex. It was built on the line of a road called Hatch Lane.
Green Gate at the crossroads – pub where Bill Haley played and where many other music events took place. It dated from the 1860s and closed in the 1980s and now it is a MacDonalds
King George V Hospital opened 1930. The hospital was a rebuild and extension of Ilford Emergency Hospital based in Abbey Road. It was built with the support of King George and opened by him in 1931. Wards and other facilities were built some opened by the benefactors who had funded them, other funding came from the local authorities. It was planed to enlarge to several hundred beds but the Second World War intervened. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS with 228 beds. In 1952 a new Out-Patients Department opened but by the mid 1950s the hospital was overcrowded and its Casualty Department, which received all casualties from the Southend By-Pass was inadequate. It was however gradually upgraded. In 1992 the Hospital had 197 beds and was under the administration of the Redbridge Health Care Trust. It closed in 1993 and was demolished in 2001. The site is now occupied by a Bellway housing development
Memorial Gardens and Memorial Hall. The park is a grassed area with lime trees and wild flowers. The site was chosen because it adjoined the planned children’s ward for the hospital and the hall was planned as the entrance to it – which never actually happened. It is an octagonal building by C.J. Dawson, Son, and Allardyce. It has a glass dome and includes memorial panels recording the names of Ilford men killed in the Great War. It was opened in 1927 and restored in 2003 by Bellway Homes as part of a planning agreement. At the front of the park is the First World War Memorial in stone with a Celtic cross set on a plinth. In front, a bronze infantryman in battledress, by N.A. Trent, who stands at attention above the names of the dead.
Newbury Park Station. Opened in 1903 it now stands Between Gants Hill and Barkingside on the Central Line. It was originally built by the Great Eastern Railway on its Ilford/Hainault/Woodford loop and was in a cutting with the booking office on the road bridge. During the First World War it was used for military ambulance trains which took the wounded to Ilford Hospital. In the 1930s it was part of London Transport’s New Works scheme and a transport interchange was planned here, but it never developed although in 1939 a new ticket hall was built together with a bridge between the old and new stations. The Second World War halted work and it was not until 1947 that it became part of the Central Line extension when the tracks of the new tube line which surfaces here from Leytonstone via Gants Hill joined the old Great Eastern line south of the station and a year later the extension onwards to Hainault was opened. In 1956 the original Great Eastern street level buildings were demolished in order to build a road bridge carrying Eastern Avenue however some remains of the Great Eastern Company remains at platform level with their logo in the supporting brackets.
Rail Line to Ilford. The Great Eastern Line to Ilford had run on surface tracks on what is now the southern side of Eastern Avenue. These were cut in 1947 but the northern section of the line remained and was used as a siding allowing freight trains to reverse and was kept for the length of a freight train. Freight from Temple Mills Yard ran onto this piece of line and then reversed into the old goods yard. This traffic stopped in 1965 but it was then used by Underground engineering trains until 1992
Rail line north of the station - London Underground rearranged the old Great Eastern tracks to turn the eastern tracks in to reversing siding and this went on to Barkingside. This would appear to now be an approach road to the Barkingside Sainsburys called King George Avenue. The through trains ran on an alignment once part of sidings and goods yard on the west of the great eastern station.
The sidings ceased in use to be replaced by Hainault depot in 1948,
Goods yard. This remained and was served by the old Ilford line south of the station and ended in the early 1960s.
Cottages for the staff were built by the Great Eastern Company next to the station in a semi detached garden city style plus a posher house for the Station Master– this was detached villa a pillared porch and large garden. They were replaced by the bus station.
Newbury Park Bus Station. This was built in on the site of the railway cottages, at the time of the changeover of the station to the Central Line in 1947. It was designed by Oliver Hill opening onto the roadside with seven semi-circular concrete arches supporting copper clad tunnel-vault roof. It won a Festival of Britain award in 1951 for architectural merit there is a plaque with the festival logo. It is only used by eastbound buses despite westbound buses being specified in original 1930s brief.
Ilford Maternity Hospital. In 1918 the urban district council opened a maternity home in two houses, and in 1926 a permanent building, subsequently enlarged opened in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park.
Holiday Inn Express
643 art deco factory in use as a retail outlet
Name of a manor owned by Barking Abbey which was in the area south east of Barkingside. It merged with Gayshams around 1400.
Church hall - attached to St.Laurence Church but built before it
The area we know as Newbury was once called Horns Village
The County which used to be the Horns Tavern. 19th pub now closed.
67 Cadet Centre. 4F (Ilford) Squadron Air Cadets
21-23 Springfield Care Centre
Stores and trading estate on the site of the maternity hospital.
King George Avenue
This appears to be built on the site of the old Great Eastern Railway line between Newbury Park and Barkingside
Iron mission church, dedicated to St. Laurence, was built in the 1880s. This is no longer there.
Netley Hall. Royal British Legion Club, now closed and to be replaced with flats.
97 The Palms Medical Centre
Newbury was a small manor held by Barking Abbey . It passed through various hands until sold for building in the mid –19th. Development started from 1900.
Newbury Manor Farm – this was the manor house demolished in 1932
Whites Farm. East London Christian Fellowship Centre .
Perrymans Farm Road
Methodist church . In 1910 a small church was built here which was closed in 1934
Oaks Park High School. Comprehensive specialist music college opened in the 1990s.
129 Bet Tikvah Synagogue. This is in the buildings which had been Newbury Park Primary School which was the old Horns Elementary, School, originally opened in 1895. It was designed by C.J. Dawson in1904, for Ilford Council. It has been a synagogue since 1981 and was previously Barkingside Progressive Synagogue
Newbury Park Primary School. This is in what is clearly an old board school building.
Gearies Secondary Modern School. Boys from Gearies elementary school were in a school building here from 1943.
40 Newbury Park Health Centre
Site of Ilford Maternity Hospital. Opened in 1918 by Ilford Urban District Council in two houses and then in 1926 this new the purpose-built building was opened. In 1948 it joined the NHS with 51 beds and in 1978 became the West Wing of the King George Hospital. By 1980 it had 20 beds less and was the headquarters of the District Health Authority. It closed in 1993 and was demolished shortly after. It has been developed with housing, shops, commercial a hotel and a community buildings.