Sunday, 11 September 2011

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Cranbrook
The Cranbrook flows south westwards to the Roding

The Great Eastern Railway runs north eastwards from Liverpool Street to Shenfield, from Ilford Station

Post to the north Newbury Park
Post to the west Valentines
Post to the east Seven Kings
Post to the south Ilford


Aden Road
A street name taken from a British Empire source – as indeed are the group of surrounding streets.

Balfour Road
Balfour Road Mosque.
This is in a Victorian House with a l
arge new extension at the rear.

Benton Road
Bridge over the line of the railway which once ran from Newbury Park to Ilford Stations.
St Aiden’s RC Primary School. It was opened as a Primary School in 1965 and there have been additions including a nursery and the Lindisfarne building in 2005 – an ‘eco friendly’ building with a hall and classrooms. The building was originally the Benton County School for delicate and physically handicapped children opened in 1929

Christchurch Road
Christchurch Primary School. In an enormous board school building, plus a nursery school. Christchurch board school was opened in 1900 and re-organised for juniors and infants in the 1930s

Cranley Road
The Christian Centre

Ilford Park Estate
The area covered by many of the roads was built by the Liberator Building Society

Jaffe Road
Seems to be on the site of the Plessey works/ rail carriage sheds.

Ley Street
Medieval road. In the 18th this was the principal road running north from Ilford village continued as Horns Road. In the 1860's there were market gardens in Ley Street
Ilford Laundry. One of the earliest industries in the area. Washing was hung out to dry in surrounding fields.
Seven Kings High School. A mixed comprehensive and a specialist school in science and technology and a language college. It is on the site of Beal Grammar School for Girls. A school opened here as selective Central School in 1931. In 1948 it was changed to a grammar school with separate boys’ and girls’ schools, and later the boys moved elsewhere.
Ley Street Centre - community centre run by London City Mission
308 The Bell Inn, impressive looking 19th pub
Fire Station opened in 1905 as a new central fire-station where motor fire-engines were introduced in 1914. By 1935 the fire-brigade consisted of 26 men, all full-time. Closed and demolished.
Ley Street House. Redbridge Social Services Department offices on the site of the Borough Electricity Works.
Electricity Works built by Ilford Council to power the trams. In 1898 Ilford U.D.C. got powers to supply electricity and the station was opened in 1901. The initial cost of the scheme was £64,867.97 The prime mover in it was Councillor Benjamin Bailey, chairman of the Lighting Committee, whose activities included public lectures on the benefits of electric light.
However bulk supplies were obtained from West Ham and later Barking from the 1920s.
Tram and trolley bus depot on the corner of Perth Road. Services opened in 1903 but were eventually taken over by trolley buses which ended in 1959, having begun as a horse depot in the 1880s. On it is a terracotta sigh that once said Ilford Corporation Tramways, but now just says 'Ilford'.
Plessey’s first site was on the corner of Vicarage Lane opened in 1924 and by 1935 had 3,000 workers. In the Second World War they did government work here although the site was bombed. By 1955 they had 15,000 workers making radio parts, pumps, actuators, press tools, post office equipment, and scientific instruments. There is now housing on the site.

Mafeking Road
The railway once ran down the road on the west side behind the houses

Melbourne Road
Redbridge Teachers Centre in buildings which the local school board opened in 1901 as the Park Higher Grade School, with advanced academic courses. It became the Ilford County High School in 1904 until 1929 when it became the Dane Secondary Modern School

Perth Road
Council Depot
St. Margaret of Antioch, which built as a chapel-of-ease to St. Clement's in 1914. It is red brick

Railway
In 1903 because of the growth of Ilford the Great Eastern Railway built the Fairlop Loop from Seven Kings up the line to Ongar but this was closed when in 1947 the section of line up to Newbury Park was closed and the line to Ongar became the Central Line
Seven Kings West Junction Signal Box controlled the junction of the line to Ongar. It was closed in 1949 to be replaced by Ilford Car Sheds Signal Box.

Quebec Road
The Cranbrook flows between this road and Wilton Crescent and into Valentine’s Park

Vicarage Lane
Housing on the line of the old railway between Newbury Park and Ilford.
Railway bridge.

Wards Road
Railway bridge on the line of the old railway between Newbury Park and Ilford.

Wilton Crescent
The Cranbrook flows between this road and Quebec Road and into Valentine’s Park

Sources
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Day. London Underground
East London Old and New
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site.
Seven Kings School. Web site
St.Aiden's School. Web site
Valentines Park. Web site
Victoria County History. Essex

No comments: