Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east. A tributary stream from the Redbridge area parallels and eventually joins it
TQ 42941 87152
Suburban area of Ilford
Post to the west Wanstead Park
Post to the south Aldersbrook
Post to the east Valentines
Cranbrook was a manor named from the Cran Brook, which joins the Roding south of this section. The estate was split in 1760 and the northern section called Highlands. In 1897 the remaining 215 acres in the Cranbook area was sold to a builder, W P Griggs & Co Ltd, and the Cranbrook estate was developed from 1897 by William Griggs’ son, Sir Peter Griggs who went on to become the local MP. William Griggs had been a self made man rising from a humble background in inner east London through the lighterage business.
De Vere Gardens
Cranbrook House was on a site covered by this road.
29 Home of Otto Leibermann and where he synthesised dolomite in the kitchen. He was a distinguished German chemist, driven out during the Second World War, and who then worked for Jenson and Nicholson in Ilford.
Cranbrook House. This was used to accommodate Spanish prisoners in 1589. In the 18th it was a timber-framed building, with a moat with drawbridges, surrounded by a brick wall. It was rebuilt by 1799 and was demolished before 1901. The estate was used for building.
Cranbrook Farmhouse. This was about 150 yards north-west of Cranbrook House. It was a large gabled building still there in 1818, but demolished in the 1820s.
Highlands. This house stood near Cranbrook farmhouse in the 17th but was demolished.
Highlands - In 1765 a new Highlands House was built for Sir Charles Raymond 300 yards north-west of the original house. It was demolished in the 19th.
Highlands Farm House. This farmhouse was south of Highlands House and had been the laundry of the mansion. It was dated by a brick ‘1765’.
Wyfields manor house of was about northwest of Cranbrook Farm. It was demolished around 1829.
Highlands Primary School is a first school with a nursery. It was built in 1905 with additions in 1997. Lennox Gardens
Highlands Infants School. Closed 1996
Mill on the manor of Wyfields in 1567-7429
Empress Sewage Works. Opened by Wanstead Local Board in 1883. The site was converted to wildlife area in the 1990s. The embankment at the boundary with Wanstead Park was kept. Pylons for the National Grid cross the area. Part of the area, called The Wilderness, was taken over by the City of London Corporation. Redbridge field is also on the site and a borehole was dug here in 2008 by Thames Water Cycle paths and horse rides have been developed through the area
Port of London Authority Playing Fields.
St. Andrews Church. A church hall was built here in 1906, the church built in 1923 forming a new parish. It is red brick and designed by Sir Herbert Baker
Housing on the site of the Methodist Church. This was on the corner of Clarendon Gardens. In 1904 Cranbrook Park Methodist Church was opened and completed in 1914 with a Sunday School from 1925. It was closed in 1973.
Wanstead Park Road
St John the Baptist Roman Catholic church. built in 1967 by John Newton of Buries, Newton & Partners. It is red brick with a later porch. Rear windows face the road with stained glass by Patrick Reyntiens
Wanstead Park Recreation Ground
Wyfields or Withfields
Wyfields or Withfields manor and its fields were west of Cranbrook Road. ‘Withefield’ was an ancient place name.
British History online. Ilford. Web site
Highlands School,. Web site
St. Andrews church,. Web site
St. John the Baptist. Web site
Victoria History of Essex