Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east towards the Thames. It is joined by the Cranbrook from the north west
The Aldersbrook flows parallel to the Roding on its west side
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford runs north eastwards from Manor Park Station and onwards.
The boundary between Ilford and East Ham follows the Aldersbrook west of the Roding. This suggests that it may originally have been part of the main stream.
Aldersbrook The name means 'brook where alders grow". An earlier name for the farm here was ‘Naked hall. The area is dominated by the large cemetery owned by the City Corporation which lies west of the Roding, and the North Circular and north of the Great Eastern Railway
Post to the north CranbrookPost to the south Little Ilford
Post to the east Great Ilford
City of London Cemetery. Founded by Corporation of London and laid out in 1853 by William Haywood, surveyor to the Commissioners of Sewers. There are straight tree-lined roads with tombs and there is a relaxed winding route round the edge. The chapels include one in ragstone, one in French Gothic and a more sober octagonal Nonconformist chapel. There is an arcaded crescent of catacombs, partly converted to columbaria with etched-glass entrance doors.
Crematorium of 1971 –this has patterned-concrete screen walls, and a flat roof.
Crematorium of 1903 by D.J. Ross and the second to be built in London, its chimney is disguised as a tower.
Gothic tower for remains reinterred from St Andrew and St Sepulchre designed in 1871 by Haywood.
Monument from St Olave Jewry and St Martin by Pomeroy fro 1889
Ilford Golf course
North Circular Road
Flyover to the west of the
station at Aldersbrook is to allow the fast tracks to change to the north of
the suburban tracks. It was built for
1940 but opening was delayed by the Second World War until *1947.
Tidal influence felt as high as this point.
Corporation of the City of London. Web site
Nature Conservarion in Barking and Dagenham .,