Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - East Ham and Barking

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east
A tributary rises in the southern area of Langdon School Grounds and flows south east towards the Roding

Boundary area along the Roding with many industries


Post to the north Barking
Post to the south East Ham


Abbey Road
Previous name of some of it was Fisher Street. In 1909-10 it was built by the council to London Road across the former abbey lands. Land to the west beside the Roding was sold for industrial development. During this work the main sewer of the abbey was found.
Trading estate down the west side.
Vulcan Globe Match Factory in buildings down the west side of the road. They were a Swedish company, Jonkoping and Vulcan, looking to expand into more markets. When the Bryant and May factory opened at Bow the works was transferred to Masters and became Masters Match Factory which remained there until the 1960s.
Delaney Galley. This Cricklewood based motor accessories firm, built a factory here purely to make heaters for Fords in 1962. It became known as Delanair
Saxon waterworks were discovered West of the road on the marshland together with wells were discovered which were constructed to direct water to the Abbey Mill.

Back River
This stream ran parallel to the Roding for a short distance. The Newham - Barking boundary goes along it rather than the Roding which means that it may be the original river and the Roding itself as moved eastwards.. It may be the river ‘Hile’ mentioned in 958. It’s dry bed now runs through playing fields by migrant birds stop here to feed.
Hamthrough Bridge was a footbridge which went over the Back River at Wallend, in the Middle Ages ad was for a way for horses and carts. It was subsequently rebuilt. It was later called 'Handtroft' Bridge and demolished when bridges were built for the new main road.
Barking Road bridge When the New Road was three new brick bridges were built – the one on the Back River was known as West Bridge, or Back River Bridge. The parapets of Back River Bridge could still be seen in 1964
Wellington Mill. This was just south of the Barking Road. It was built in 1815 which accounts for the name. It was a weather-boarded smock mill, with an early-19th brick house beside it. It was converted it to electric power in the early 20th and demolished in 1926

Barking
Barking became a port because of its position beside a 'pool' where the River Roding joins an inlet of the Thames. There references to trade in the 13th. Serious flooding in the 14th and 15th affected the port adversely. Fishing was the main trade here with a fleet operating out of the creek. There was also a barge trade for produce from Essex and timber for naval shipbuilding. In the early 19th shipbuilding and its ancillary industries did well sail-makers, rope -makers, pump and block-makers, and -chandlers. This ended when the fishing fleet went north and by the turn of the 20th chemical manufacture was predominant.

Barking Road
Once called Watchhouse Lane or Wall End Lane.
East Ham's first Workhouse was established here in 1804 when The Vestry leased a small farm house. The building remained in use until about 1827 built a new workhouse elsewhere
Car Hire Barking. In the 1920s this was 446 Barking Road, Wall End Garage, and a depot for two private buses. In 1972 it was the Chevron garage
539 Dukes Head. At the old boundary for East Ham Manor.15th pub rebuilt in 19th.
Wallend – name of a hamlet in the area around the Duke’s Head
Barking Road Recreation ground, Opened 1908 by the Duchess of Argyle. It was one of the parks promoted by Lord Bethell via a public subscription. It was laid out under the Unemployed Workmen's Act. At the Barking Road gate is a plaque to Albert Monk saying the gates were erected 'as a tribute to his memory and his life-long service to the youth of the Borough in 1955.
478 Joyce Carpenter Clinic. NHS
Duke's Court. Council flats from the 1940s by Howes & Jackman. In the 1990s they were enhanced with decorative metal panels.

Darwell Close
Was originally called Bonny Downs Road – supposed to be a contraction of a local manorial name.
Bonny Downs Baptist Church. Bonny Downs Mission – In 1897 Charles Howe came from East Ham Baptist Church and held open air services. In 1900 they moved to a room in a shop opposite the present Church. The Church was built following fundraising in 1930.

Folkestone Road
Newham Central Depot. The Depot is used by Waste Collection and Fleet Maintenance plus some transport services and storage
Sewage Pumping Station opened in 1963 to serve part of East Ham. This was extended in 1977 to pump what had formerly been treated at the Redbridge Works. The capacity was eleven electrically driven pumps.

Fresh Wharf Road
Large private area of a trading estate and light industry, In the 19 the area was developed for boat building along with the fish trade. A slipway was built next to Six Gates Sluice where boats were brought ashore for repair. From the late 19th it was used to tip construction and municipal waste and wharf walls were built. The area was mainly used for timber and petroleum storage. Up until the 1950s, as well as for a barge tip for municipal waste – but this ended when the A13 bridge was built. Fresh Wharf is still owned by the Hewett family who made their fortune from fishing in the 19th
Site of a 19th iron foundry

Hawkins River
A stream or mill leat running parallel to the Roding and west of Abbey Marsh.

Highbridge Road
Great Mill. A large water-mill belonged Barking Abbey in the 15th. Was probably where the Roding becomes Barking Creek – in effect the site of the 17th Barking mill
Barking mill. This was a manorial mill and by the mid 19th it was leased Ridley & Sons, who operated it, partly by steam, until 1890, afterwards using it as an office. It was on the north side of the road. In 1832 there was a weather-boarded warehouse beside it which was replaced in. 1870 by a brick building. The mill was demolished in 1922, together with an early-18th mill-house. In 1964 the warehouse, then a plastics factory, still stood.

Jenkins Lane

Langdon Crescent
Langdon School. Designed 1946, but only built in 1953-64, by J.V.K.Taylor, of East Ham's engineer's department, the first to be built as part of the borough's post-war education plan. Low buildings spread over former marshland by the river

Matthews Avenue
Oliver Thomas Nursery school

Napier Road,
Napier Road School. Napier Road board school was opened in 1902 and from 1927 took senior boys, junior boys, and infants. From 1953 it took only juniors and infants and it is now Nelson junior school
Flanders Field Community Centre
Flanders Playing fields with Bobby Moore Sports Pavilion
65 East London Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Roding
The Roding is subject to violent flows after heavy rain and flood walls have been built on both sides. South of the road a vertical concrete wall lines the eastern side of the Roding but a sloping bank of stone slabs borders the water. Further south again steel piling has been used to contain the watercourse,
Mill Pool – now subject to public art. The Pool is taken as the limit of the Tidal Thames although, a tidal influence is felt further upstream. It is here that the Roding becomes Barking Creek over a stone weir which is the only access point to the Creek.
Six Gates sluice

Town Wharf.
The Abbess had a wharf and two flights of stairs here which in . 1609 were leased to the City and the Barking Manor. In 1737 the Town Wharf was repaired and the Roding Navigation Act allowed the river to be made navigable from Barking Mill to Ilford Bridge. The ownership of the navigation was bought in 1832 by the Lord of the manor of Barking. Waterside industry is being gradually superseded by housing and commercial big she development,
Three inscribed granite plinths by Harry Gray allude to Barking's past.


Sources
Bonny Downs Baptist Church. Web site
Curtis. Barking.  A History
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
London Borough of Newham. Web site
Victoria History of Essex

1 comment:

Matthew Porter said...

Another great slice of E London. I commend your clarity in choosing a riverine approach - both side of Roding in one slice.