Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water
Seven Kings Water continues to flow south towards the River Roding on and
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Seven Kings Station, through Goodmayes Station and onwards
Post to the north Goodmayes
Post to the west Seven Kings
Post to the east Chadwell Heath
Post to the south Goodmayes Park
Goodmayes Primary School. Goodmayes Temporary School was opened in 1905, in a corrugated iron building and known as the 'Tin School'. The current site was opened in 1909 as Goodmayes Infants School and Goodmayes Junior School. It was remodelled in 1962 and in 1976 became Goodmayes Primary School.
Eman Community Centre
Named for the last abbess of Barking Abbey, a Dorothy Barley.
St Paul’s. The parish of St. Chad was created in 1895 but because of the amount of building it was clear another church would be needed. Cameron Corbett MP, was asked for a site and he offered one cheaply, which was accepted. The Foundation Stone was laid in 1903 and a church was designed by Chancellor and Sons as a large, airy building in red brick and a chequerwork pattern in the gable. Consecrated in 1929, when the tower only reached two storeys. Stained glass by Morris & Co. 1929 repaired after war damage, commemorating donor Emily Randall. Other windows by Whitefriars
Barley Lane Recreation ground
Presbytery for St.Cedd’s – vast great building
Iron church for the Wesleyan Methodists stood on the corner here in 1902 and was later moved for the same use to Upminster
The name is first recorded thus in 1456 and refers to a John Godemay of 1319.
Goodmayes Station. This is between Chadwell Heath and Seven Kings on One Railway. Built in 1901 on the Great Eastern Railway together with guarantees by Cameron Corbett in connection with his firm’s development of local housing estates. The station was bombed heavily during the Second World War with the main lines destroyed in 1940.
Goods Yard. Freight yards and sidings lay either side of the station to the east and to the west. There was an engine turntable on the north side of the main line. The goods yards declined following the opening of Temple Mills and it was closed in 1962.
Goodmayes East Signal Box. This was closed in 1949 and replaced by one on the opposite side of the track which was itself demolished in 1997.
Lord Napier. Very large 19th pub with extensions and a yard. Hold regular rock events.
Clock tower. Built by Redbridge Council to mark the Millennium with support from local businesses.
Royal Parade. Prominent plaque on a corner shop
Al Noor Independent Muslim primary school, opened 2002
White Hart Pub
Follows the line of the Roman Road between London and Colchester.
St Cedd Roman Catholic church built by the Methodists in 1904, and taken over by the Catholics in 1966. Big gothic church in red brick and an incomplete tower
Sikh Temple. Former 1930s Telephone Exchange. An austere closed brick box. It was converted into a temple in the 1990s and includes a gymnasium and halls to hold 500.
Telephone exchange. Modern exchange on the north side of the road
Carnegie Library and Public Hall. Designed in 1907-9 by Herbert Shaw, the Ilford Borough Engineer and Presented by Andrew Carnegie. It includes a Cottage for the librarian. This is now become a private ’preparatory school’ for a private ’grammar school’
Tesco superstore on the area of what were railway sidings, used to marshal munitions trains in the Second World War.
Seven Kings Bus Garage. Dates from 1913 and the last garage to run RTs. Closed in the early 1990s.
Greyhound. modern Harvester chain pub on a Tudor site. At the back a footpath goes to Green Lane.
Barley Lane Primary School
Goodmayes Baptist church. Founded before the First World War by a group which had left the Baptist Church in Seven Kings. In 1920 they built a church from timber and asbestos adding another building later.
Farnham Green Primary School
Barley Lane School. Web site
Brennand . Ilford to Shenfield
Field. London Place Names.
Glazier. Bus Garages in London
Goodmayes Primary School. Web site
St.Cedd. Web site
St.Paul. Web sitr
Victoria County History. Essex