Thames Tributary Fiddlers Brook
Fiddlers Brook flows south east towards the River Stort
Post to the north Gilston
Post to the east Pole Hill
Post to the south Burnt Mill
Bridge.18th red brick bridge.
had been farmland with a manor house called Netherhall which had been set up after
the Conquest and had a succession of wealthy owners. In 1550, Henry Chauncy bought
Netherhall and rebuilt it as a stone house called New Place. In the 17th the land around the house was
enclosed by Humphrey Gore and then became the area of the park. Under later
successive wealthy owners the house and gardens became grander and
grander. In 1850 it was bought by John Hodgson
who rebuilt everything in the area as a model this or that and also rebuilt the
big house. Later it was owned by the Bowlby family and in the Second World War
became an officers' billet and then a military hospital for the RAF. After the war
it was became a country club and was taken over by Hammer Films who made some
films there and then by Smith and Nephew who built a laboratory in the grounds.
It has now been turned into private housing.
House with 'IH' '1852' on the entrance porch built by Philip Hardwick for John
Hodgson. Later in 1887 additions were made by A W Blomfield. It is built in limestone
rubble in a Tudor style. To the rear is a turret game larder and above a
battlemented square clock tower. There is a glass and iron conservatory with a Grotto
Ornamental Lake formed in the 19th by damming the Fiddlers Brook. There is a
dam at both ends but the one at the north end includes ac cascade. This was a
reworking of an earlier dam by Philip Hardwick for John Hodgson. The central
overflow became a waterfall or cascade over a cliff of artificial stone. In
1902 it was used to drive an electric turbine the foundations of which remain
Chase –this is a wood which was the site of a medieval manor called Giffards –
the remains consist of an earth mound and a moat.
house which is in fact the remains of New Place which preceded the present big
house at Gilston Park. It is in effect a 19th porch. This is stucco made to
look like stone and there is a bust of Elizabeth with underneath "Fear God.
Obaye. The Rial. Queen/Spaines Rod; Romes Rvine Netherlandes Reliefe; Earthes
joy, England's gemme, World's Wonder, Natures Chief".
of Feathers Pub. 300 years old and originally a house. Timber framed and
plastered the manor courts were held here from 1702 and in the mild 19th it was
the Plummer-Ward's Arms. Outbuildings
consist of a 18th timber framed and weather boarded old cow house
Memorial. Simple column and cross to the dead in the Great War
House with '1864' on a gable. Red brick, estate house built by Gilston Park
Estate under John Hodgson.
House with '1860' on a gable. A red brick, estate cottage in a slightly
different style to others built by the Gilston Park Estate under John Hodgson.
Shiptons. 17th house. Timber framed and plastered House once used as a shop
17th house timber framed, and plastered
Fiddlers Cottage. 17th house timber framed and roughcast this was once three
- 89 two 18th Timber framed house-once a single house
iron pump with double spurred spout near corner of 88
hall. Built in 1908 by one of the Bowlbys. Over the door is a memorial plaque
and armorial shield