Thames Tributary River LeaThe Lea flows eastwards though as series of ornamental waters
Post to the west Hatfield
Post to the west Hillend Farm
Hatfield Home Park
North Vineyard. Pavilion in centre of north side. This is a late 18th square building of 2 storeys in red brick with crenellations. There is a door in the south side. May be by Bliss.
South Vineyard. Now called the secret garden and walled in 163 before which it was called The Dell. The Vineyard was created in 1611 with 30,000 vines, the gift of the Queen of France and planted and managed by Frenchmen. It was planted on the initiative of the first earl and was seen in 1643 by John Evelyn. The vineyard walls and pavilions are contemporary with Hatfield House. They are red brick walls which were crenellated in the 19th either side of central flint pavilion with more pavilions on the corners. The western pavilion has a 17th base 19th 2-storey building on top. One pavilion has large cross arrow holes in it.
Vineyard Cottages. The central cottage has a crenellated castle door in the centre
Trooper Statue. The Rhodesian Light Infantry was disbanded in 1980. The regimental statue was placed in the South African National Museum of Military History and later moved to the British Empire and Commonwealth Museum in Bristol. It is now in Hatfield Park where it was re-dedicated in 2008.
Estate sawmill – originally a corn mill. In 1881 the mill wheel was adapted to drive dynamos for Hatfield House, to provide electric light.
The Lodge House and The Deer Larder. This was originally the residence of the Ranger of Hatfield Park and later became two cottages. It is a 17th timber framed building with 17th red brick outside. The date of 1738 is on a drainpipe. Through a corridor at the back is an 18th building which was the deer larder.
The Broadwater. Formed by a dam in the River to power a water mill at the far end of the lake. It was landscaped and replanted after the 1987 storm. The island has been planted with twenty different species of oak.
Red Bridge built in 1864.
Thames Water Sewage works
Saw Mill Cottage. 18th house in chequered red brick with a 19th latticed porch.
Mill Green Lane
‘Varves’ can be seen in section in trenches dug in the area – layers of mud laid down in what was a lake as the glaciers retreated at the end of the last Ice Age.
1-6 18th terrace in chequered red brick.
Green Man pub 17th timber frame bulkding with Painted plaster ground floor
At Mill Green the Lea turns from in its course which was southwards towards the Thames and turns east. In the Ice Age this was the valley of the Thames and when the river moved south this valley became the course of the Lea.