The Lee flows south towards the Thames
The A1 is the longest numbered road in the UK at 410 miles and connects London and Edinburgh. It was designated by the Ministry of Transport in 1921 but bypasses have been built since then. North of M25 it is part of Euroroute E15. The A1 (M) Lemsford - Welwyn length of 3 miles was opened in 1973 by the Eastern Road Construction Unit.
Junction 5 Lemsford Interchange. Handside
Applecroft School. Applecroft Primary School designed by Louis de Soissons was opened in 1923 as the first Welwyn Garden City Secondary School and was called Handside School. 1953 it Applecroft Junior School. In 1986 it joined with with Parkway Infants School and became Applecroft Primary School. A Nursery was added in 1999
Great North Road
The Great North Road was a turnpike road built in 1812 and used by mail coaches.
Tramway laid along the road during the building of Welwyn Garden City
Lemsford Village Road alThis is on the line of the Great North Road. The wall of Brocket Park was once such a feature of the road that it was sometimes called ‘Brickwall’ or 'Brickwall Hill' and the turnpike gate had that name.
20 17th timber framed with brick infill. Chimney stack one with a circular oven at the base
Long and Short Arm Pub. This had been a bakery and beer house but demolished and rebuilt in the 1930s. The pub sign shows a coach and four crossing the ford on the Lea with a signal board with a long and a short arm showed the depth of water. It is also thought that maybe the name refers to the lengths of the two roads out of the village. Or perhaps to an older sign with a coachman extending his long arm for beer to the landlord holding it with a short arm and below "pay before you sup". Or a coach and horses were driven by the coachman with one pair of horses on a "long arm" and the other pair on a "short arm."
Pub car park on the site of Wesleyan Chapel and post office.
22 – 24 18th Cottages timber framed and with red brick
Lemsford Springs, a small nature reserve in old watercress bed on the Lea. Water rail, snipe, and the green sandpiper may be seen from the hides. The green sandpiper feeds on the shrimps which are abundant in the freshwater lagoons which also support fifty species of water snail.
Welwyn Garden City Golf Course. The golf club was founded in 1923 by local residents and rented the land from the New Town Agricultural Guild. At first golfers would arrive with a scythe to remove the grass around the ball. From the start lady members joined on exactly the same terms as men.
The Old North Road
The Roman and pre-Roman route from London to York was Ermine Street, later the Old North Road. It climbs up under the walls of Brocket Hall to meet the motorway. It passed through Lemsford, and along the disused track behind The Long Arm and The Short Arm