Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Stort
The Tributary flows north west towards the Stort
Post to the north Gibberd's Garden
Post to the south Hubbard's Hall
Post to the west Old Harlow
Main area of Harlow in the middle ages – it is first named in records in
1 Meadhams on the site of the original
rectory. 16th house.
3, 4 Godsafe. 16th range with a cross-wing and jettied.
This was the school teacher’s
house for Churchgate Street School and is now a private residence. Godsafe is
the name which has been adopted for the management of Harlow charities and
4, 6 19th house which is timber framed and weather
house Timber framed and plastered
once F Perring Ltd. 17th with exposed timber frame and a modern shop
19. Dates from 1664 but with modern shop windows
In the 17th William Newman had founded two almshouses in the
churchyard. In 1867, because they were old and empty four new ones were built
by John W. Perry Watlington. (Assume this refers to these two houses built at
right angles to the road)
23, 25. 19th range of tenements timber framed and rendered with black
weatherboards. These were built on the site of a maltings.
house from 1700 Long range of one storey with 19th shop window
44 18th house timber framed and plastered with black weatherboards
Stafford Almshouses. Dated to 1632. Exposed timber frame with black
weatherboarding at the back. Plaque above the front door with inscription “Given by
Julian, wife of Alex Stafford Esq for the habitation of two poor widows of the
parish AD 1630”.
Churchgate Hotel – originally The Chantry, 16th century
galleried house, timber frame. The
chantry was dedicated to St.Petronella. The house was built after the
Reformation which dissolved the chantry on land that from its endowment by John
Churchgate Church of England School. Founded in 1816 as a National School –
as distinct from a ‘British School’. It was replaced through donation in 1850 –
which is on a date stone over the front door. It closed as a school in 1971
Water splash at the bend in the road – the bridge was called after the chantry
and became known as Parnelsbregge
The Queens Head Pub. 16th house Timber framed and plastered
St.Mary with St.Hugh. Church built of large flints, Roman brick
conglomerate – it is mediaeval but heavily ‘restored’ in the 19th. It has a
tower with tall shingled spire. Eleven brasses inside
built 1880 of tarred wood.
kiosk Type K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
Built in the 1970s as a by pass
Hobbs Cross Road
The tributary stream runs along the side of the road
St. Nicholas School, Hillingdon House, Independent Day School. Hillingdon
House and gardens date from 1907. The school opened in Mill Lane in 1939 and
moved here in 1977.
Churchgate Church of England Primary School. This school was originally in Churchgate
Street and was moved here to new premises in the 1970s.
Feltimores. Has been an entertainment venue
Used to lead to Windmill Fields the site of a medieval windmill
Moor Hall Lane
High House. 16th house, partly rebuilt with rainwater heads dated 1876. Timber frame exposed
New Hall or Brendall. This was granted to William Conqueror’s Steward, Dapifer,
at the Conquest and covered the manor of Brendhall. By the 17th it was called Newhall
and had a number of owner’s being in the hands of receivers by the 18th
and then became part of the Mark Hall estate. It is a 15th house Timber-framed
and plastered which once had a moat.
Almshouses. Red brick buildings with on the front the inscription 'These houses
were builded for the habitation of four poor widows with monies left by the
will of Mr Francis Reeve formerly of Huberts Hall'. The money was left in 1639,
but the houses were only built in 1716 by the then vicar. They were turned into
two homes in 1957 and rebuilt in 1974.
House. 17th timber framed with some pargetting.
Wall and gate piers. Late 18th brick garden wall with gate piers
topped with stone pineapples.
Hurst. 18th House. Home of Field Marshal Evelyn
Wood who won the Victoria Cross in 1858, in the Indian Mutiny.
Drake's Meadow, built in 1996 on land that the area of Millhurst’s garden