Thursday, 22 December 2011

River Lee - Holyfield Lake

River Lee
The River Lee and the Lee Navigation flow southwards to the River Thames. The Small River Lee flows west and south

Post to the north Wormley
Post to the west Turnford
Post to the south Holyfield Lake

Holyfield Lake
180 acre Lake which is the largest of the lake formed from gravel pits in the Lee Valley, It has wooded islands where Cormorants roost and other birds breed.  It covers much of what was Nazeing Marsh
The Grand Weir Hide reached via Goosefield where there are shallow pools.
The Flood Relief channel flows through the lake and emerges on the southern edge
Holyfield Fisheries Bottom Lake. Specimen carp lake
Holyfield Fisheries Top Lake has islands with mature trees.
Holyfield Fisheries Match Lake
Holyfield Weir. Computer controlled outflow into the Flood Relief channel.
Fishers Green Sailing Club.  A Division of the Civil Service Sailing Association and over 40 years old

Old River Lee

River Lee Navigation
The Navigation passes over the Small River Lea on an aqueduct. This was built by a Mr. Cooper in 1768. When the Waltham Cut was built in 1767, the canal was planned to be built on an embankment from downstream from Kings Weir. There was a need for flow of the Small River Lea to be safeguarded for millers but it needed to be crossed by the Navigation, hence the aqueduct. It was originally called Cheshunt Aqueduct until 1870.
Aqueduct Lock. Built 1768 and rebuilt 1922. It was built by a Mr. Cooper
Lock House – a new house was built in 1895.  This was burnt down in 1975 and its site is marked by the foundations among weed growth south of the weir keeper’s house. Its bricks were used to build a new lock house at Dobbs Weir.
Cottage for the weir keeper of the weir which controls the Small River Lea at Aqueduct Lock

Small River Lee
This leaves the Old River Lea and passes under the Navigation flowing south west.

No comments: