Friday, 30 December 2011

River Lee - Seventy Acres Lake

River Lee
The River Lee continues to flow south towards the Thames. Running parallel to it are the River Lee Navigation, and the Flood Relief Channel.

Post to the north Holyfield Lake
Post to the west Cheshunt
Post to the south Hooks Marsh

Holyfield Marsh
Electric Transformer Station. Built in 1974 on an area that was once fields on the edge of Holyfield Marsh. The site was probably excavated as part of the gravel extraction industry in the 1950s and backfilled in the 1970s.

River Lee Navigation
Cheshunt Lock.  Built 1768. Rebuilt 1922/. In 19th it was known as Cheshunt Mill Lock and also Hundred Acre Lock.
Lock house altered in the 1870s, described in 1900 as ‘a wretched structure’ and was replaced on a different site in 1909. This was burnt down and demolished in the 1970s, some foundations remain.

Seventy Acres Lake

Gravel extraction pit, flooded and in recreational use.
National Bittern Information Point. Up to the 17th bitterns were widespread in England but by the 1880s they were extinct as a breeding species in this country. There were only 16 booming males in the UK in 1994.  The total wintering population is generally less than 100 birds. Until the late 1960s the Bittern was an irregular visitor to the Lee Valley but since 1991 the number has increased and at 70 Acres Lake up to four birds have been present at one time. An action plan has subsequently been put in place.
Otter Discovery Trail.

Stubbins Hall Lane
Stubbins Marketing.  The business is named after the Stubbins Hall site, which was the company's first greenhouse business in the Lea Valley. Stubbins is a grower, packer and distributor of fresh salads and vegetables set up in 1976 and based in Waltham Cross.  They also act as consultants to other related businesses.

No comments: