Tuesday, 6 December 2011

River Lee - Dobbs Weir

Thames Tributary River Lee
The Lee continues to flow south west
TL385081

Interesting area around the Lea plus the dramatic site of Dobbs Weir

Post to the east Netherhall
Post to the north Rye House
Post to the west Hoddesdon
Post to the south Nazeing Meads


Bingley Road
Industrial and trading units
Associated Lead Mills

Charlton Mead Lane
Industrial and trading units

Clyde Road
This and other roads in the grid included plotland developments.
St.Christopher’s Hall. Built by subscription in 1939 and used as a church until 1964, when it was leased to the residents' association. Services and a Sunday school resumed in 1979.

Dobbs Weir Road
The road was built in 1857,
Dobbs Weir. The Weir was called Graygoose Weir in 1699 but Dobbs is included in the name by the mid 18th.  It passed into the ownership of the Turnpike Trust and it was then rebuilt with guillotine gates. It is now a modern weir with older sluice.
Charlton Mill. The 1906 sluice on the weir leads to the wheel pit chamber of the mill which was burnt down in 1868. 
Lee Valley Caravan Park. Secluded 23 acre park with sloping meadows running down to the water’s edge
Fish and Eels Pub. 17th pub originally owned by the local Christie brewery. One landlord was Reverend Samuel Thackery who, after being dismissed from his chaplaincy, took up this pub
Café
Car park – this was the site of a wharf granted to the people of Roydon Parish and turned into car park in 1980.
Bridge which takes the road over the Lee. This was a deep and dangerous ford until 1830 when a bridge was built.  In 1879 a brick bridge was built by public subscription with contributions from the parish and county and this became a county bridge in in 1883 by Essex and Hertfordshire county Council. It was rebuilt again in concrete in 1934
Bridge which takes the road over the cut between the weir and the lock

Essex Road
The Greenwich Meridian crosses the road west of the junction with Gedding Road
Industrial and trading units
Electricity transformer station 'Waltham Cross' Supergrid Switching Station,
Railway bridge – built in 2004 to enable access to brownfield sites for industrial expansion.

Greenwich Meridian passes through the area to the west of the River Lynch

Railway Line
The Greenwich Meridian crosses the railway line shortly before it crosses the footpath from Hoddesdon to Dobbs Weir, and the River Lynch.

Rattys Lane
Called after Samuel Rattee who was lock keeper at Feilde’s lock in the mid-19th
Rye House Power station. The original power station was coal-fired and here from 1953 to 1984. It was designed Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and was used for peak load standby until the late 1970's. Alongside it an open cycle gas-oil power station, that used modified aeroplane engines, was built in 1966 until 1984. The current combined cycle gas turbine power station was opened in 1993 of Siemens design

Sources
British History. Online. Web site
Fish and Eels. Web site
Lea Valley Park. Web site
Meridian. Leaflet
Metadyne. Web site
Roydon. Walks leaflet
St. Christopher's. Web site

No comments: