The Woollensbrook and the River Lynch
Woollensbrook flows north east under Brookside. It later re-enters the area and
meets the River Lynch
River Lynch rises in this area, is met by the Woollensbrook and flows south
.Post to the east Dobbs Weir
Post to the west High Leigh
Post to the North Hoddesdon Rye Park
Post to the south Broxbourne
Malthouse. Three storeys, late 19th
building of yellow brick with two pyramidal kiln vents. This is on the site of
some of Christie's Brewery.
17th timber frame building. On the upper
floor is a relief of children harvesting grain and hops.
Brewery Yard. Mayhem Theatre Arts in what was the brewery barn. Opened 2007.
Brewery. This began around 1700 at
the Thatched House Inn and eventually occupied a large part of Burford Street
and the area now covered by Brewery Road. It was part owned by a member of the
Christie family and became Christie's Brewery until it closed in 1928.
1a & 1b Dates
from 1820’s with original central door.
2 19th weather boarded range, formerly a chapel brought here from Nazeing and built in 1816.
The road is alongside the
An eafrlier name for this was Stanstead Valley
Inn. A 16th building with later extensions. It has plastered walls
with scalloped pargetting. There is some ‘Benskins’ lettering,
diagonally within an unusual 'Bell' motif.
Built in the 1960s on the site of Yew House
Roman Catholic Church. Brick church with separate belfry and sculpted figures
on the front. Built 1962. It replaced Esdaile House which itself replaced Esdale House.
Until the mid-19th Cock
Lane ran much closer to the Grange. It was moved for the Warners in 1852.
Stables from Woodlands.
Granary from Woodlands. The Granary. 19th Weatherboarded building
converted to cottage. External, covered staircase on posts and with a
An earlier name for this was Honey Lane
Hall snooker club, now demolished
Conduit Lane East
River Lynch rises to the rear of the houses where it is joined by the
The Lynch. 19th yellow stock brick building. It
has a modern, terrace to the pond.
Esdaile Hall. Site of the Boys'
British School established by John Warner. A plaque on it said "This
school was erected by Mr John Warner 1841. Grisell & Peto, builders". It had been used by the British Legion and
was burnt down in 2010.
over the New River
gate leads to a footpath across the road and a path to Pumping Station
Pumping Station. A stock brick building, erected by the New River Company in
1866. It pumps from a 385ft well 2.7
mgd and was converted to an electric drive in 1946.
Church of England Primary School
Until the 1850s a 'Middle Row" ran down the centre of the northern part of the street. This was removed. On the main road and the coach route to Cambridge, the street had a large number of pubs catering for this passing trade. The main road was known as Fore Street.
Station. Built on the site of Woodlands Lodge.
box – Penfold design
Civic Hall. Opened in the mid-1970s.
Civic Centre Opened in 1976, it is situated on a dell of land
that was once part of Lowewood
Bollescroft. The building is at the back of
the Civic Car Park. It was used by the old Hoddesdon Council, but was abandoned by Broxbourne
Council. In 1993 Broxbourne Theatre Company restored it and uses it as
Offices. On the site of 17th Elm
Place and also the site of Dolphin Inn.
Samaritan Woman Statue and conduit head
behind the council offices. 17th statue commissioned by Sir
Marmaduke Rawdon. It is a woman pouring water which was the town's first public
water supply. In 1631 Sir Marmeduke
Rawdon supplied his new house with water from High Grounds - now known as High
Leigh. Another pipe was laid to the south end of the High Street, where the
statue of The Samaritan Woman was installed for public supply. In 1826 it was replaced by a
pump. It was rescued by the formed urban district council from a butcher in
1894, restored in 1936 and put here in 1986.
Grange. Built for Sir Marmaduke Rawdon in 1657 and later altered. It has a timber
frame core with red rubbed brick. During the early 19th it was used as a
girls' school and in 1854 it was bought by Robert Warner and leased as a boys’
school. By the time it closed in 1905 the house was owned by Robert Barclay. In
1892- 1969 it housed Nuns of the Order of St Augustine and was called St
Monica’s Priory. An earlier house on the site belonged to William Cook and was
known as the Cock. Currently used as
32 Yewlands, also called Les Harteshorne. In 1575 this was probably an inn by
1680 called Five Bells. As a private house it was at one time called South End
House. It is a 16th timber framed house
34a & b North House and South House. These two houses were
originally a stable block built in the 19th in red
38 New Port Cottage. Built 1830 from yellow stock brick.
timber frame building
55 and 55a A timber framed 16th building with later extensions
Rathmore House. House in red brick with rubbed brick dressings built by
John Boreham in the 18th. In 1860 it was known as The Doctor’s House
because it was the home and surgery of Dr Robert Sleven.
building of infilled yellow stock brick on a timber frame with brick infill
58 The Keys. This was
built in the late 18th and altered in the 19th.
61 – 63
Meadows. 16th, or earlier, timber framed building.
Hogges Hall. 19th building plastered on a timber frame. Inside are the remains of a 15th hall and some
beams and a doorway. Hogges Hall was probably the
manor house of Mandeville manor. The name Hogges may be Danish and it is
thought that the name of ‘Hoddesdon’ could be a corruption of it.
66 The Limes, also once called Cross Keys. 18th yellow stock brick casing
Montague House. In 1827
-1836. This was the home of road engineer John Loudon McAdam. It is an 18th
building which continues 68. In the early 18th this was a pub
called Rose and Crown, or Crown and Mitre.
has a 19th front on what may be an earlier timber frame.
76 Stanboroughs. The Conservative Club. The site can be identified as a house
in the 14th and this building dates from 1637. It was named after a
horse dealer, who appears in records in 1363. In the 19th part of it
was used as a training school for servant girls.
79 & 81 a timber
frame building from 1735.
83 & 85 formerly
an inn. A 17th timber frame building
19th corner building of yellow stock brick
87 16th timber framed building refronted in the 19th
or earlier building, with exposed timber frame and modern pargetting. This, together with neighbouring units, was once the Fox Inn.
site of the Bull Pub. The Bull closed
in 1960 and was demolished in 1964. It had a sign on a framework which stretched accross the street.
House it has an early 20th imitation half timbered front.
frame 17th building
93 building which was used as a coffee tavern
94 -96 timber
frame 17th building
101 and 103, 16th timber framed, building, later altered. One was used as a Toc
H chapel. 99 was once a smithy
and possibly earlier timber frame building.
-104. This is a 17th
timber frame building, probably 1590, with a coach entrance on the south side. This
was once The White Horse inn It was refronted in about 1820. Inside is a
115, 117 Myddleton House. This was built around 1600 but in 1720 it
became an inn called the Queen's Head and became a house again in 1852. It has
been claimed that Sir Hugh Myddelton, lived here while the New River was being
built but it is thought his son lived here. It was later the home of local brewer, Christie.
timber framed building with 19th stucco. This was once the White Hart Inn and straddles the old Broxbourne/ Great Amwell parish boundary.
timber frame of what was a substantial house
has a timber frame and a painted relief of two boys on the front. It is
believed to be the site of the Thatched House Inn. By about 1700 the Thatched
House was owned by Plomer and it was there that he established the brewery
which eventually became Christie and Co
136 site of the old Pavilion cinema
which was a conversion of one of the brewery building to which a narrow passage
entrance was provided from the High Street. It opened in 1930 and included dressing
rooms for stage shows. In 1935 a Christie organ was installed. It continued in
use as a cinema pictures until 1972, when it became a Star Bingo Club run by
Zetters, and then later a Gala Club. It closed in 1997 and was demolished in
Lowewood Museum. The site
was called Harvey's in 1570. In the 17th
Jasper Gamell built a house which was part demolished in 1750 and a new house
built. In the 19th 1835 Lowewood was owned by the Warner family. In
1936 it was bought by Douglas Day Taylor and given to the town in memory of his
wife for a museum and library
Golden Lion Inn. Probably 16th timber frame, altered. Plaster ground floor, some
weatherboard. It is on
site of a house known as The While Hinde. The Golden Lion was the badge of the
Lion of Flanders.
Salisbury Arms. This was known as the Star in the 16th, and
later the Black Lion until the 19th when it became the Salisbury
Arms. It refers to the associations of the Cecil family, the Salisburys, with
the town. Used as a court house it is thought to have been built by Lord
Salisbury in 1610. A red brick former brewery
extension has a weatherboarded sack hoist.
The Bell Inn.
This has been an inn, called the
Blue Bell, since 1660. The name Bell may have come from its nearness to the
town's curfew and alarm bell, which was housed in the old chapel of St
The White Swan
Inn. A 16th timber framed building with a plastered ground floor and exposed
half-timbered. The stump of its long sign which spanned the road can
still be seen
Maidenhead Inn.. This dated from the 16th century. Demolished in the 1970s for town centre shopping centre.
Clock Tower. Inside is a 16th bell dedicated to St.Anne. This tower is brick and stone built
in 1835 by T Smith. It is on site of the chapel of St Katherine built in 1336
by William de la Marche and used as a
stopping place for pilgrims to Walsingham. It was demolished in 1836.The clock tower itself was surrounded by small functional buildings decorated with busts of Georges V & VI and Edward VII, which were removed in the 1970s/
A stone in the pavement marks the boundary of what were once the parishes
of Broxbourne and Great Amwell, between which the town was divided. This boundary ran through an archway which
was demolished in the 1960s and a marker was put into the pavement for the old
War Memorial – remembers the dead of
the First and Second World Wars
Town Pump. which stood outside the Fox Inn and replaced the Samarian Woman water supply system.
first fair was granted by King Henry III in 1253 on the Feast of St Martin, and
a second fair was granted by Queen Elizabeth I in 1559 to be held on the Feast
of St Peter, which is 29th June, and the following two days. By the 19th
a market for hops was held each Thursday and in time a Wednesday
market selling meat became more important. The Wednesday market continues with
general stalls and joined in the late 20th by a Friday market. A market house built in the 17th was demolished in 1833
Congregational Church. Femolished for the Fawkon Walk development
Fawkon Walk. Mall development. The name comes from an ancient building demolished for this development, called Fawkon on the Hoop.
is the name of the field on which modern housing has been built. It is still
possible to see the remains of stepped terraces along the valley of the River
Lynch and which were used for the cultivation of watercress.
This was also known as Lord's Lane
Friends Meeting House. This
dates from 1829 when the Society of Friends moved from Essex Road where
they had established a meeting house in 1698
The New River, that passes directly the Lynch as it flows along the 100
foot contour. It destroyed much of the original landscape of the area including
Lynch Hill and the Lynch Gap
Gates and gateposts to The Grange. These date
from 1730 and are rubbed brick gateposts with wrought iron gates with 'AO'
initials. This stands for
Lady Arabella Oxendon who bought The Grange in 1725 and died 1735.
Plane trees planted in 1883 for Mr. Barclay
Brick pillars and gates as the entrance to Lowfield. Erected in 1953 as
a memorial to R.L. Glasspool President of the Football Club from 1930. Replaced
after being knocked down by a lorry
Gatehouse built by members of the
football club in 1973 to meet Athenian League standards.
St.Catherine and St.Paul’s church. St.
Paul’s church is in red brick and built in 1732, later restored. William de la Marche obtained land from Edward
III in 1336 to build a chapel in honour of St Catherine, patron saint of
pilgrims. This became a stopping place for pilgrims on their way to Walsingham,
but which fell into disuse. It was rebuilt in 1732 by Robert Plomer who had
quarrelled with the vicar of Broxbourne and in 1823 they building was bouvght
by public subscription and consecrated – and this original building survives as
the core of the current church. The chancel and chapels were added in 1864/65
by J Clarke and the steeple, attributed to A B Blomfield. The tower now has a peal of eight bells presented by the five sons of the brewer,
Christie, in 1901 and the name was changed to St.Pauls. It is now the
Parish Church and in 1976 St.Catherine was returned to the name of the church.
in 1844 as a gift from Captain Hugh Haghes. It was closed for public burials in
1883, although private burials continued until 1911. In 1970 the Parochial
Church Council removed the stones and levelled the ground. A Garden of
Remembrance was created and broken stones were used to create a peaceful area.
Barclay Hall. Old school
St Augustine's RC Primary
School. The school was founded here in 1933.
Terraces in this area were above a deep funnel-shaped hole that carried
water up from the chalk.
Woodlands. The house of Woodlands
was on the site of the Police Station now in the High Street. It was built in
1830 by Quaker John Warner who had a hydraulic engineering business and
bell foundry. Warner had his gardens laid out by Pulham with cascades,
fountains and pools using the hillside
springs. There were also many follies –- gothic screens, etc. most of which
have disappeared. Woodlands House had a succession of owners and became council
offices before being demolished in the 1960’s.
Grotto – remains of one which had a seat and overlooked the The Silver Sand
The Orangery. Formerly part of the Woodlands estate. Early 19th building now a cottage.
Little Woodlands. Built in 1830 by John Warner as the stables to
Woodlands demolished in 1967 to make way for the present police station. The
stables and orangery were converted into homes in the late 1950's. Demolished in 1967.
Yewlands built in 1909 by George Lucas; this is a Grade II listed
house in the Edwardian vernacular revival style.
Mandeville Built in
1908, this Grade II listed house is a good example of Edwardian vernacular
revival and is attributed to M H Baillie