Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Woollensbrook - Spital Stream - High Leigh

Woollensbrook Stream – Spital Brook
The Woollensbrook flows south east towards the River Lynch
The Spital Brook flows east, turning south towards the River Lee

Post to the north Woollensbrook
Post to the east Hoddesdon
Post to the west Hoddesdon Park Wood
Post to the south Broxbourne

Barclay Park
The park is on a hillside with an ornamental lake. Part of the site is managed as a wildflower meadow with grasses and sedges. 1937 the son of Robert Barclay of High Leigh gave half of the estate to the town

Beech Walk
An old narrow footpath was widened and planted with beech trees in 1880,
1-4 Queen Victoria Cottages. Hoddesdon Cottages Homes for the Aged Poor
5 Dr. West Memorial Home
Hoddesdon Lawn Tennis Club founded 1896

Box Lane
Highleigh Farm
Highleigh Barns
Grotto with well and donkey track, 19th sunken circular pen for a donkey to draw water from a well approached by serpentine grotto passage in yellow stock brick and flint.  The entrance has walls and arch of Pulhamite and there is a covered well in the centre

Cock Lane
Cock Lane Open Space, managed by the Hoddesdon Trustees; a large informal area of grassland and woods.
Ford for the Spital Brook
Sheredes School. Opened in 1969 as first purpose-built comprehensive school in Hertfordshire, secondary school. It has its own woodland area and pond. Outside it a memorial to technology teacher, Paul Butterworth.  The school site was part of estates with grand houses away from where the building is now – Woodlands house, followed by Sheredes house.

Lord Street
Highleigh. The Estate was purchased by Robert Barclay in 1871. He was a member of the banking family. Christian Conference Centre.  Robert Barclay extend and improved the gardens. Behind the house were avenues and a parterre, with a fountain in the centre which may be by Pulham. A Pulham rock garden runs along a small valley at the edge of the estate and there is a folly arch
King William IV Pub. 17th building with a timber frame and brick and roughcast walls
Hoddesden Bowls Club

Lowfield
Lowfield Cricket Ground,  in 1880 Mr Barclay offered Hoddesdon Working Men's Club some of Lowfield as was required for a cricket pitch  
Hoddesdon Town Football Club. The club was started in 1879 and in 1899 moved to Lowfield. This was then farmland and part of the High Leigh Estate and after a cricket pitch was set out then football was added.  In 1924 local inhabitants fund raised to buy Lowfield for the town. The clubhouse was built in the mid and replaced a rustic wooden pavilion and in 1996 a new stand was opened

No comments: