Wormleybury Brook and Turnford Brook
Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Brook flow west towards the River Lee
Post to the west Wormley Woods
Post to the east Holy Cross Hill
This is a hamlet called Beaumont built around its
medieval manor house
Beaumont Manor. The present house was built in 1806
and replaced a moated mediaeval building the remains of which are a hundred yards
to the north. The name is thought to
have come from Robert Beaumont, Earl of Leicester in the reign of Richard
I. It was previously a property of
Waltham Abbey. The current house is a Tudor style stuccoed mansion, with
a cloister/conservatory at the rear and a crenellated octagonal tower.
Victorian pillar box
Thunderfield Grove. Oak, hornbeam plus some crab apple
and wild service trees. This is an old
commercial plantation and there is still some Corsican pine
and western hemlock. Hornbeam was also grown here commercially and coppiced for
fuel and building timber. There are deer in the wood as well as birds
Church – this was a ‘tin’ church dedicated to St.Peter.
The White House, 18th house once used as a farmhouse.
brick and stucco
Bread and Cheese is hawthorn shoots widely eaten at
Bread and Cheese Bridge
Pillbox. Guarding the Outer London Anti-Tank line. This
is a UORN 5061 which is an unusual higher type of pillbox.
The embrasures are higher than they are
wide and again, unusual. It is tall to give it a breadth of vision accross the valley. It would originally have been disguised to look like a cottage.
In the same area are concrete anti-tank blocks.
West End is a small hamlet at the west end of Wormley. Until relatedly recently what we now know as
Wormley was part of Wormleybury whereas West End was part of Broxbourne. In the
early middle ages it was the property of Waltham Abbey.
Woodman a small pub. The earliest reference
to it is 1840. Bought by McMullen brewery in 1921. It was originally a house of
the 17th or earlier. Timber frame and roughcast
The Green Man – another pub which was
here and now demolished.
Tyler Cotage named for George Tyler a groom
who worked at Westlea in the 1920s. It was at one time the laundry for Westlea
Nutwood Cottage rebuilt in 1990 using
timber and brick from an earlier building which had burnt down
31-33 Mimms Cottage, 17fh House. Timber
frame and dark weather boarded
This was the principal manor house for West End. It is probably Elizabethan but
records date from the 17th when it was the property of the Salisbury
Estate. In the early 19th the
house was rebuilt and the holding greatly extended into neighbouring properties. In the early 20th it was owned by
the owner of Broxbourne golf club and later during the Second World War as offices
for Brooke Bond – or perhaps the secret service. Many building were converted into accommodation
and in 1957 Brooke Bond sold them in separate lots. Nutwood, Westlea and Eastlea
are all part of the original house. The Mews are original outbuildings as are
the stable, the lodge, the fountain– all now housing. Clock House too has now become
housing. Beech Cottage was a cowshed called The Bothy.