Sunday, 25 December 2011

Wormleybury Brook -Wormleybury

Wormleybury Brook
The Wormleybury Brook flows south east towards the Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the west - West End and Beaumont
Post to the south Turnford

A10

Church Lane
St. Lawrence Church. A building of brick and flint dating from the 12th and it includes a Norman door. It is likely however that a wooden church had previously stood here. Belfry rebuilt 1826 and church restored 1886. The wooden weather boarded bellcote was added in 1963 in memory of Col. George Green.
Wormley Rectory. 17th timber frame house altered in 1730.  Plastered and roughcast with a Garden front facing the church.  It is surrounded by a red brick wall.
Wormleybury. A house was built here in 1489 for the then rector and the site of it is now the lawn outside the present house. It was replaced in 1734 and that too was replaced in 1767 when it was rebuilt again for Sir Abraham Hume by Robert Mylne in brown brick. It has a giant, pedimented portico. Inside decoration 1777-9 is by Robert Adam and Angelica Kauffmann.  A courtyard is entered through an arch with a clock tower above and there is an octagonal bell turret with cupola on a weather boarded base. This is the site of the original settlement of Wormley
Wormleybury grounds. There is an 18th wrought iron screen and double gates and they are surrounded by red brick walls. There is an ornamental lake,
Urn dedicated to a race horse which is probably buried there. It was designed 1770, by Robert Mylne. The urn has a frieze with two goats' heads as handles, and a pineapple top.

Bury Farm

Nursery Wood

Kitchenmead Wood

No comments: