Friday, 28 January 2011

Thames Tributary –Pipp Brook - Milton Court

Thames Tributary –Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook joined by the Milton Brook flows east towards the River Mole


Post to the west Westcott
Post to the east Dorking
Post to the south Nower

Milton Court Lane
Milton Court. The Milton estate was mentioned in the Domesday Book and from the 14th to the reformation was owned by Kilburn priory. It was later given to George Evelyn by Elizabeth I . Built in 1611 by the Evelyn family as the dower house to their main seat at Wotton House. It had many occupants and was used as the poor house and became very damaged. In the 1860s it was restored by lawyer Lachan Mackintosh who employed William Burges as architect highlighting Jacobean staircase, original wall paintings, ancient beams In the early 20th the garden became well known. In the late 1930s it was bought by the Henley Telegraph company who added an office block and in 1965 it was bought by National Employers Life Assurance Company Ltd who covered over many of the decorative features. The building is currently owned by the Unum Group who carried out extensive restoration c1993 and added a late C20 wing.
Milton Court Chalkpit and Limekiln. This pit was reached from the bridleway from Milton Court via Milton level crossing. Remains of a brick-built limekiln still exist within the disused chalk pit.
Milton Court Mill. This mill was by the entrance to Milton Court but was demolished in the late 1940s. The mill cottage and mill pond remain either side of the entrance road.  This was an  unusual wooden mill on what was probably an ancient site.  The last mill here dated from the 1860s replacing an earlier, smaller mill. It worked until about 1900 and was derelict thereafter. 
Milton Heath. Red brick house built 1870. Part of the Evelyn family estate it was leased in 1894 to James Carr Saunders director of the Commercial Union Insurance Company, founding their marine business. The house is now offices.

Westcott Road
Sondes Place Farm. Model farm built in the 19th as the home farm of the Denbies estate. the buildings last used by the farm in 1921. Brick and flint buildings in a rectangle with an arched gatehouse with cupola and weathervane. Stables, cattle pens, barn and house were converted to sheltered housing units in the 1980s.
Sondes Place Farm, Tom Walwin Broom came from Devon in 1897 and took up the tenancy here renting from Lord Ashcombe. He built up a dairy and beef herd but fresh milk supply was his main business. He bought the farm from Cubitt Estates in 1921 and opened a dairy shop at 38 South Street but after the Second World War focused on the wholesale milk market. The farm is still run by family members.

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey.
Pevsner. Surrey

Thames Tributary, Milton Brook - Nower

Thames Tributary, Milton Brook
Milton Brook flows north from the lake on the Nower towards Pipp Brook


Post to the west Westcott
Post to the north Milton Court

Coldharbour
Home Farm. Illustrated in a work by Loudon and designed by John Perry.

Nower - Bury Hill
Bury Hill. The Bury Hill estate was created by Edward Walter who bought Chadhurst farm (to the south of this area) in 1735 and bought up adjoining land for an estate which ran from Westcott (to the west) and Milton (to the north) to Coldharbour and Holmwood. On his death in 1815 the estate was sold in lots.
The Nower. Park of fifty acres, presented to the town in 1931 by Lt. Col R.W.Barclay. Now managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust, and is a mixture of open grassland, sandy heath land and woodland. The word ‘Nower’ means a projecting headland
Rustic temple – said to be a copy of a Greek Temple of Venus
Gardens belonging to the mansion with numerous varieties of rhododendrons and a collection of conifers. In 1812 Robert Barclay, a brewer not a banker, bought the estate from the Evelyn family. The house grounds had been planted in the 1750s and Robert, a plant enthusiast, was a supporter of ‘plant hunting’ expeditions and an associate of the director of Kew Gardens. So he set about creating a garden in the forefront of Victorian fashion, with hot houses and exotic plants, particularly rhododendrons and azaleas, from the Himalayas. His son Charles and grandson Arthur maintained this interest. Plants include a Wisteria Sinensis, said to be a cutting from the first plant brought into the country by Captain Welbank.
Bury Hill Observatory. Built by Decimus Burton 1847 and originally with telescopes and instruments, and over the entrance is a piece by Dante and “"Erected by Arthur Kett Barclay, 1848." It is now a private house.
The Boathouse – used as a restaurant and base for the fishery
Old Bury Hill Lake or the ‘Old Lake’. A 200-year-old tree-lined 12 acre Victorian Estate Lake surrounded by irises and lilies.
Milton Lake
Bonds Lake
Temple Lake


Longfield Road
Powell Corderoy Primary School

West Bank
The Priory Church of England School, for pupils aged 11–18. It school opened in 1996 on the site of Sondes Place School and its site once belonged to Lewes Priory and later Reigate Priory.

Westcott Road
21 & 22 Milton Brook Cottage, Early 19th house Formerly 2 cottages.

Thursday, 27 January 2011

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Westcott

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook continues to flow eastwards through the area.
The Milton Brook flows eastward from Milton Street

Post to the south Westcott
Post to the west Westcott
Post to the east The Nower
Post to the north Westcott
 Chapel Lane

St John’s Free Church. Countess of Huntington’s Connexion. The Chapel was opened in 1840. There are marble tablets in the Chapel paid for by John Worsfold, one in his memory and the other with his bequests. He is buried beneath the altar and his bust was placed so it looked down on his vault.
The White House, Air Raid Shelter and Stationary Engine Collection. Private collection of internal combustion engines operating on gas, lamp oil and heavy oils. Also an original air raid shelter in cast concrete.

Cradhurst Close
Cradhurst Recreation Ground

Guildford Road
2-6 narrow early 19th terrace. Doorway on the corner with stucco, modern shop fronts.
7 Bay leaf –this used to be the Cricketers pub
Skeynes House. An early 19th block of 2 houses.
Wallflower Cottage
Balchin’s Store
Ivy Cottage. 17th house in red brick
Robin Cottage, 17th house in red brick
Westcott Garage
Housing on site of the forge established in 1763 .The Ryde family continued to run it until 1965 when it was sold. The building was demolished and replaced by Shell Petrol. The filling station also closed.
Prince of Wales pub. The first landlord was local baker Griffin Beale who in the 1850s brewed his own beer and built the business up from a cottage to a pub. It continued in his family but supplied by the Tooting Brewery. The present building dates from 1922.
Penny Cottage. timber framed pebble dash building next to the pub. Its name commemorates decimalisation

Milton Street
Wyvern Cottage 17th, timber-framed cottage refaced with red brick
Old Bury Hill House, mansion built by James Walter in 1753. Bought in 1812 by Robert Barclay head of the Barclay Perkins Brewery - part of the estate developed by Edward Walter and sold by his descendants. It remained in the Barclay family for 150 years. Barclay had an interest in gardening and he extended the gardens with lakes. His gardener went on to found the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. There were alterations in the 1830s with input from Decimus Burton. The house was occupied by the military in the Second World War and much was destroyed by fire damage in 1950 and only the wings remain. Corridors on the south side of the house forms a flanking wall and a north side corridor is underground. The flanking wall on both sides has round-headed arches and joins the house to a garden pavilion with stables and offices behind now converted to flats.
Garden House. Dates from the 1750s and once the Head Gardener’s House of the Bury Hill Estate. Grade II* listed. A private walled garden
Orangery with nine high arched windows, raised flower beds and a patterned tiled walkway. Hexagonal cellar with a domed ceiling. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Georgian Portico: house made up from the Head Coachman’s House, the Tack Room and the Vinery. Part of the Bury Hill House estate. In the tack room, is light oak panelling, a Delft rack and a Portland stone fireplace. The Vinery still has a grape vine and raised flower beds
Graysmark Cottage. House added in 19th and accessed through an archway to a separate, private garden. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Apple Cottage. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Stables with seven loose boxes with cast iron stalls, original ceramic tiling, arched windows and brick floor. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Ice House. The entrance to this may be seen as a brick-arched doorway in the steeply rising bank to the south of a footpath near the main house. Inside a brick arched passage goes to the edge of the wel which has a brick dome and descends 20ft to a natural rock floor.
The walled garden of 2 ¼ acres is enclosed by 15 ft high brick walls. And includes a timber stable and a shingled terrace with central lily pond. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
The Paddocks. Extensive range of post and rail paddocks, Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Courtyard with original pump and eight brick garages and other brick outbuildings – stores a workshop, an open sided hay store etc. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
5 House, which for a whole was a school - owned by the Barclays Estate it was a school for the estate workers' children in the late 19th. Ground floor 17th painted brick with first floor 19th tile-hanging. 17th timber-framed building with Red brick infilling.
Little Waters. Timber-framed building. `
13 and 14 Early 19th. Red brick.
Malthouse Farm pleasant cottages
Victorian wall letterbox from 1880s design mounted in the wall of Old Bury Hill Gardens.
Lavender distillery. In 1898 a distillery was stood beside the Milton Brook at the end of Milton Street. Lavender and peppermint were grown on farms locally = peppermint was grown until 1914 or 1915. At first it was sent to Mitcham for distilling and after 1915 the distillery was moved to Croydon.

Milton Way
Milton Farmhouse. 17th house

Osier plantation.
Part of the Old Bury Hill Estate. The Milton Brook runs through it

Parsonage lane
Holly Cottage. 17th cottage with rubble walls, sides stuccoed. Chimney breast with bread oven.

School Lane
Surrey Hills Primary School. In 1853 Richard Fuller of the Rookery, gave part Ball Field for use for a School for the education of children of the labouring manufacturing classes of Westcott and a Schoolmaster’s house. Money was got from the National Society for a grant: by 1882 there were 270 children there wand a separate Infant School was opened. In 1949, it was given Primary School status to provide education only up to age 11 and in 1971 children aged 4 to 8

Springfield road
Meadow land to the north with the Pipp Brook

Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Westcott

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook continues to flow eastwards and is joined by the Milton Brook flowing from the south


Post to the west Holehill Lane
Post to the east Milton Court
Post to the south Westcott

Clay Copse

Etherlands Cottages

Harley’s Copse

Lince Lane

Milton Court Farm
Barn 19th boarded timber frame barn
Barn 19th with tiles and gables
Granary 19th
Stable 19th

Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Holehill Lane

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
Pipp Brook continues to flow eastwards towards the River Mole


Post to the south Westcott
Post to the east Westcott


Holehill Lane
Coombe Chalk pit and Limekiln. Remains of a limekiln may be seen in the disused pit. Lime would have been transported from the site over the level crossing on Holehill Lane leading to Westcott.
Rifle Ranges The remains of rifle ranges and butts from the First World War west of Landbarn Farm,
Rokefield House. Now flats and houses which include The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers
Ice house - A 19th egg-shaped ice house near the driveway to the house.
Landbarn Farm. Owned by the National Trust and used as a base for volunteers
Railbridge near Landbarn Farm with steps up to the line
Holehill Copse, ancient woodland.
The Dene

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Westcott


Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook continues to flow north towards the river Mole


Post to the north Holehill Lane
Post to the east Westcott
Post to the south Sylvanus Wood

Balchins Lane
Westcott Mill. The Old Mill House. Site of a mill mentioned in Domesday but a mill with a six acre mill pond was built in the 17th.  It had a very large mill pond to make up for its low water supply, since it is near the source of the Pipp Brook.  What remains of the mill building dates from 1850. It operated until 1909, and the machinery was sold in 1912. It was then used as a fishing lodge by Mr. Brooke, of the tea company. It then became a private house but the water still flows through the wheel pit and the mill pond is still there, used by fishermen. Part of the original walling of sandstone rubble encloses the cellar but above this is a modern house.
Churtgate House. The oldest portion is the east wing which dates
from the late 16th. It is built of sandstone rubble. Listed Grade II
Rookery Farmhouse. 17th red brick building. Listed Grade II
Stowe Maries. Listed Grade II. 16th timber-framed building once 2 cottages. Timber-framing exposed inside. Film star Leslie Howard lived here, visited by Ingrid Bergman.
Taw cottage and Tawside cottage. Listed Grade II. Victorian front masking a timber-framed open hall house with internal jetty probably mid 16th.
Black Hawes Castle. Large earthwork, which may be part of a fortified Norman manor house known as Black Hawes Castle. A sherd from a 12th or 13th century cooking pot was recovered in the garden below the earthwork.

Coast Hill
Developed from the 1890s by Arthur Brooke of the Rookery but no houses were built on the southern side of the road and only few on the north in Coast Hill Lane.
House. In the garden is ‘Rookhurst Castle’ built by Arthur Palmer in the 1930s. Old lime kiln also in the garden.

Coast Hill Lane
Coombe Copse

Guildford Road
Rookery Lodge. Listed Grade II. Estate office, a later house. Built 1896 by Smith and Brewer in Arts and Crafts style. Red brick with pebble dashed first floor. It was built for a company who had bought the Rookery estate for redevelopment.
Holy Trinity Church. Westcott church is near an ancient droveway to the Weald. Holy Trinity was an entirely new church built by G.G.Scott in 1851 for the area which was previously part of Dorking parish. The money was raised by subscription and from Charles Barclay. It is in dressed flint and there is a window of the Ascension in Whitefriars glass – given by one of the Barclays. Listed Grade II
Vicarage on land given by the Barclay family
Sandrock Cottage. Listed Grade II. 17th house built of Brick on flint sill.
Bay Tree Cottage. Stone and brick cottage

Logmore Lane
Start of a long drove road which goes to Ockley. It climbs the sandstone ridges as an unmetalled trackway part of a system related to sheep and swine pastures held by settlements on the downs. It begins at the church.
Westcott Hill Farmhouse. Long 18th house.

Rookery
The Dorking Water Company supplied the Westcott area from springs in the Rookery. Closed 1932.
The Rookery. Began as ‘Churt-gate’; and was bought in 1759 followed by the Fuller family whose bank eventually became NatWest. Daniel Malthus persuaded Rousseau to visit the Rookery in 1766. Malthus laid out the garden on the principles described by Rousseau as 'Julie's garden' . Daniel sold the house in 1768 but his sixth child, Robert, was born there and brought up on the principles laid down by Rousseau - and he later became the author of 'Principles of Population'. It was put up for sale in 1894 and the principal purchaser was Arthur Brooke who used his ‘Brooke Bond’ tea fortune to acquire the Mansion as a home, and several hundred acres of land. Some of which continued to be farmed or stayed as woodland, but some significant acreage was identified as potential building land placed in the hands of a newly formed company - Landowners Limited. Gothic, stucco and battlemented it was demolished in 1968.

Rookery Drive
Westcott Sand Pit. Disused pit where bands of ironstone can be clearly seen in the rock face
Rookery Mills. There were two flour mills in the Rookery estate before 1729, one on the embankment between the two lakes and one below the lower lake. They were 'statute mills' and worked alternately. There is no trace of the upper mill - which in its last days was used as a saw mill - but the mill building of the lower mill was converted to housing in 1945.
Ice House. A 19th century brick-built ice house may be seen between the bridleway and the upper pond.
Springs. Formerly called Mistress Close. Timber-framed cottage on the banks of a stream, in the grounds of the Rookery,

Sandrock Road

Westcott Heath
Pound in north-western corner. Small square sandstone rubble enclosure built on to the wall enclosing the former stables to Wintershaw.

Westcott Street
Kingscote. Timber-framed house with plaster infilling on the 1st floor and painted brick infilling below. Listed Grade II
Lower Springfield Farmhouse, Timber-framed house with red brick infilling
1 and 2 The Barracks. 17th building of sandstone rubble with red brick dressings.
Wintershaw. Listed Grade II. Early 19th house

Sources
British Listed Buildings web site
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
London Transport Country walks one. 
Penguin Book of Surrey,
Pevsner Surrey

Monday, 24 January 2011

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Wolvens Lane

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook continues to north west towards the River Mole


Post to the east Westcott
Post to the north Westcott



Fish Pond
Waterfall

Wolvens Lane
Sylvanus Wood
Britts Wood

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Westcott

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook flows north west towards the Mole


Post to the north Westcott
Post to the west Wolvens Lane
Post to the south Logmore Lane

Claypit Copse

Durrants Copse

Logmore Lane
Applegarth Farm
Bury Hill House
Florents Farm. Listed Grade II. Farmhouse with early 17th front wing and 18th rear wing. Built of stone rubble. This building was once part of the Rookery estate.
Brook Farm. Listed Grade II . Former farmhouse built late 15c or early 16c as a hall house with two bay open hall with exposed timber frame. Inside is a jetty projecting from the bay into the former open hall and the inserted 17th can be seen.
Brook Farm Barn Listed Grade II. 18th. Timber framed barn on a brick and stone plinth. Outside is weather boarded cladding.
Danehurst, Listed Grade II. House built late 16th or earlier. Timber framed building, exposed at the back and the front done up with early 19th in brown brick with some tile-hanging
Danehurst Cottages
Westlees Farm

Mad Horse Copse

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook - Logmore Lane

Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook rises in this area and flows north towards the Mole


Post to the north Westcott

Abinger Forest

Bridlegate Copse

Logmore Lane
Logmore Farm. Listed Grade II. Farmhouse. 16th or earlier, refronted in the 18th in brick. Originally an open hall-house of three bays, the hall ceiled over and a chimney inserted in the 17th. Exposed timber frame with painted brick infill, plus brick with some sandstone.

Thames Tributary River Mole - Betchworth Park

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows east veering slightly south

TQ 18931 50340

The Mole meets the A25 where it is bridged and where there was a mill. Second World War defence structiures also remain

Post to the west Deepdene
Post to the east Betchworth Castle

Boxhill Road
Boxhill Bridge. There was a four-arch bridge here, with further arches under the approach road to allow flooding. It was then on the old Reigate Road and became redundant when the road was diverted through Betchworth Park in 1927. In 1968 it was swept away in the floods but the abutments remain.
Steel footbridge which replaced the older bridge swept away in 1968.

Castle Gardens
Dorking Water Company Pump. Water for the town was insufficient and the company sank a borehole here to augment the supply to Tower Hill. The pump house was near the sawmill for the Deepdene estate and remains of some of the pipe work still exist in gardens of houses in Castle Gardens close to the water wheel. They also arranged for bulk supplies from the East Surrey Water Company, which were never used.

Old Reigate Road
Broken road sign pointing to Reigate with “Stone and Turner, Dorking” and “Stick No Bills” cast into the column
Boxhill Farm. Barns now housing

Reigate Road
Castle Mill. 19th water mill now a house. It is on the site of a Doomsday mill which by 1649 formed part of the manor of West Betchworth and in 1760 belonged to the Betchworth Castle estate. It was enlarged in 1836 with a two-storey weather-boarded extension and by beginning of the 20th it had four pairs of stones.   After a fire in 1933 less work was done and by 1949 there was only one pair of stones, which had been producing animal feed. The mill closed in 1952. The waterwheel and machinery which are there today were installed in 1829. The vertical shaft of the pit wheel is probably older than the iron machinery and appears to have been cut from a pine tree. It was altered for residential use by architect, Michael Manser, in 1969, following a bid to use it as a store. Attempts to operate the wheel have failed because the river level has been lowered - although water supply was never a problem for the mill and there was in fact some flooding.
Underground chamber adjacent to Castle Mill

River Mole
Gauging station on the river
Weir. The 18th weir was modified in 2004 to install two 27.5 kW low-head hydro turbines. 90% of the energy generated is fed into the regional electricity grid, and the remainder used to supply the Betchworth Park Estate,
Deepdene Bridge. This bridge over the Mole was built in 1927 when the old Reigate Road and Boxhill Bridge were by passed.
Between Betchworth and Box Hill, in the Second World War the north bank of the River Mole was stabilised and made steeper to prevent wheeled vehicles from crossing.
Anti tank concrete cylinders installed at Boxhill Farm, in the Second World War, as access to the river from the north bank was needed for cows
Gun mounts and pillboxes installed in the Second World War to protect Boxhill bridge

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Haselfoot, The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Pevsner. Surrey

Sunday, 23 January 2011

Thames Tributary Mole - Brockham

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole flows north and then turns south east

TQ 18598 50183

Area off the main Reigate Road and near a series of mines and line works on the hillside along with the remains of older 'big' houses - like the Castle



Post to the west Betchworth Park
Post to the south Brockham


Betchworth Castle
A ruin of a fortified medieval house, built on a sandstone slope above the Mole, probably to defend the gap in the Mole Valley. At Domesday it was held by Richard de Tonbridge and was built as an earthwork fortress by Robert Fitz Gilbert in the 11th and as a stone castle in 1379; later rebuilt, by Sir Thomas Browne in the 15th. Chalk was used as the building-stone. In the 18th it was partly demolished and became a ruin. It is on the Golf Course and considered a dangerous structure.

Brockham Limeworks
In the 19th chalk was quarried here. The chalk was dug by hand and burnt for lime in two batteries of kilns. These were originally flare kilns but later converted to a design patented in 1870 by the manager, Alfred Bishop - patent 'Brockham' kilns. The western battery includes two Brockham kilns on either side of a central access tunnel which dates from an earlier kiln pair. The inner ends of the coal chutes can be seen. The eastern battery had a number of pairs of flare kilns, each served by a tunnel for loading and unloading. The kilns at the north end were rebuilt as 'Brockham' kilns. The lime works closed in 1936 and the machinery scrapped during the Second World War. Some kilns, stables, store, office and cottage remain –although some alterations were made for a proposed museum. It was serviced by its own narrow gauge railway dating from the 1870s. The site has been used as a location for Dr.Who.

Brockham Hearthstone Mine
Hearthstone has been mined south of the chalk from the 19th as building stone and for whitening hearths. The mine at Brockham had 3 drift entrances which were south of the lime works and east of Bishop's Cottages. A brick-lined shaft was dug near the limekilns through to remove stone by crane - remains can be seen. There was another shaft south of the 'Pilgrim's Way'. The mine was closed about 1898, reopened in 1904 and finally closed in 1925. Cavers in the 1990s noted that floodwater had been found at the bottom in the 1930s. They found that the original shaft was 58 feet deep with two rails running from one collapsed level to the other opposite. Heavy roof falls barred progress in either direction

Brockham Brickworks
The brick works was here from about 1860 in the area of Gault Clay between the lime works and the railway, at its peak around 1900 there were many brick kilns. There were also two entrances to the hearthstone mines, an open quarry, remains of track beds and the flooded clay pit. The works closed in 1910, and the plant was demolished. The flooded clay pit is now used for angling.

Castle Gardens
8-14 Castle Cottages. Listed. Part of 18th stable block of Betchworth Castle. Built in 1798-9 to a design by John Soane. The stables were built round 3 sides of a quadrangle and Faced with flints.
Chalk Pit Lane
Bishop's Cottages. Built for lime workers and named after the quarry manager who invented the 'Brockham' kilns. A smithy is shown on maps, presumably for railway horses and nearby was a saw-pit, for props for the mine.
Level crossing keeper’s cottage, SER LSWR gates still there

Pilgrims Way
Supposedly the route taken by pilgrims on their way to Canterbury Cathedral to see the shrine of Thomas à Becket – but they are also likely to have travelled on the main road to the south
The path passes through Brockham Lime works. The old yew trees lining the path may have been planted to define boundaries and a programme of replanting is underway. The path was also lined by elm trees; all dead due to Dutch elm disease.

Reigate Road
The Arkle Manor. The pub dates from the 1920s but was renamed after the race horse in 1972.

White Road.
Old hollow way called ‘white’ because of the chalk


Sources
Arkle Manor. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Reigate and Banstead
Subterranea Brittanica. Journal.
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Surrey History
Surrey County Council. Web site

Thames Tributary River Mole - Brockham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows east and then turns north. It is joined by the Tanners Brook.

TQ 19694 49560

Pretty Surrey village in what is now a wealthy area.

Post to the east Brockham
Post to the north Betchworth Castle
Post to the south Strood Green

Brockham Court
House with late 18th front
Barn. Late 17th building and adjacent 18th stable/hayloft. The barn is timber-framed, clad in weatherboarding on a brick plinth with a corrugated iron roof and full-height cart entrances. The stable is brick in Flemish bond with a weather boarded lean-to.

Brockham Green
The village is said to take its name from badgers which lived near the river but it is more likely to be 'Brook - ham' - the village on a brook, used as a stopping place on the main road.
Pump. Made of 19th cast iron with an ornamental wooden casing and tiled roof. The hand-operated pump was made by Warners of London and has a tiled roof. it was erected in memory of Henry Thomas Hope Esq. of Deepdene, ‘ by his neighbours and tenants resident in the district of Brockham to commemorate his numerous acts of benevolence and his readiness on all occasions both to promote and support public improvement’. Mr. Hope died in 1862.
2 and 3 Oak Cottages late 17th. Timber-framed building. Old tile roof with stack at one end.
Old Inn Lodge Early 19th.
Elm Cottage. Timber-framed house with the timbering and plaster infilling still visible but the front rebuilt in red brick in the 17th-18th.
Long Cottage. 17th timber-framed house.
North View. 17th Timber-framed house refronted with painted brick and timbering with painted brick infilling exposed in the south wall.
Surrey House. 16th or possibly earlier. L-shaped timber-framed house
Vicarage Cottage. 17th timber-framed cottage with plaster and painted brick infilling
Pound. Red Brick-walled enclosure. A notice states that Brockham's Act of Parliament of 1812 allowed only poultry to pasture on the Green. Grazing cattle and horses led to a fine from the Lord of the Manor.

Brockham Lane
Borough Bridge. Narrow brick bridge over the Mole built in 1737 by Richard and Thomas Skilton a stone plaque set into the parapet. Strengthened by Surrey County Council in 1991 and a wooden arched footbridge placed on the downstream side. The road bridge has four main arches with three further arches in the south abutment and a tunnel in the north abutment for flood relief.

Kiln Lane
Named for the brickworks kiln at the eastern end
Playing field

Middle Street
1, 2 66 amd 67 Demark House, Hope House, The Little House, The Pharmacy and Fern Villa. 16th timber-framed cottages with painted brick infilling.
The Cottage. 17th or earlier.
Brockham House. 17th or in a half-H shape.
15 Whyteways. Timber-framed building; probably 17th and originally 2 cottages.
Post Office
K6 Telephone Kiosk. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by Carron Co. Cast iron. George VI crowns

Millhill Lane
Packhorse Bridge. A small brick bridge crosses the Mole 400m upstream from Borough Bridge. It was rebuilt by Surrey County Council in 1991-2, but originally this was an old packhorse bridge on the route to Betchworth
Brick arch over a mill stream - although any mill has long gone. It is recorded in 1634.  There are renmains of a tail race

Old School Lane
55 formerly the schoolmaster's house. Brick, once painted over. Extension which was the infant's school.
54 Old School House building in Brick, once painted. This was a junior school.
Brook House. 17th house with 18th additions. Red brick.
Dolly Farmhouse and Yew Tree Cottage 17th or earlier timber-framed house faced with red brick
Elm Grove. Building in several sections; circa 1700 and later with l9th alterations

Pondtail Farm

The Borough
2 -10 Long rectangular block divided into 5 cottages. 1700. Numbering given by Canadian soldiers during First World War. Listed Grade II
24 Small timber-framed 17th cottage refronted with red brick. Verandah with tiled canopy. Listed Grade II
26 Small timber-framed 17th cottage refronted with red brick. Listed Grade II

Wheelers Lane
4 and 6 Antigone Cottage. 16th timber-framed building with painted brick infilling and diagonal braces
Christ Church. Built 1846 designed by Benjamin Ferrey in firestone with limestone dressings. It is a memorial to Henry Goulburn.
8 and 10 Dell's Cottage. 16th timber-framed building with 17th additions.
Tumbledown Farmhouse, 17th Timber-framed house with painted brick infilling,
Way House. Established in 1858 as Brockham Home and Industrial School for orphan girls by Mrs Way of Wonham Manor,with an infants' home added in 1871. There is a plaque commemorating the inauguration
Wheelwright's Cottage. 18th cottage

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Pevsner Surrey
Surrey Industrial Archaeology ,
Penguin Surrey
London Transport Country Walks 1

 

Thames Tributary Tanner's Brook - Strood Green

Thames Tributary Tanner's Brook
Tanners Brook flows north east towards the River Mole


Post to the north Brockham

Bushbury Road
Bushbury Farm

Old School Lane
Felton’s Farm. Tarred Surrey Barns in a quadrangle with a 17th farmhouse
Felton's Farm Cottage. 17th building of 2 storeys with tile hanging. Listed Grade II.

Thames Tributary Tanners Brook - Blackbrook

Thames Tributary Tanners Brook
Tanners Brook flows north east towards the River Mole having been joined by Bents Brook and Black Brook.

TQ 18525 46859

Countryside area of woods and farmland.

Post to the south Blackbrook House

Post to the west North Holmwood

Roothill Wood

Thames Tributary Bents Brook - North Holmwood

Thames Tributary Bents Brook
The brook continues to flow north east towards Tanners Brook and the River Mole


Post to the west North Holmwood
Post to the east Tanners Brook

Blackbrook Road
Boldhams Farm

Chart Lane South
Royal Oak. Young’s pub
Brickworks. The first site of the Dorking Brickworks was established around 1870 with the original kiln near the Royal Oak.
Stone bridge over Bent’s Brook

Deepdene Lane
King George V Playing Field. Playground, football pitches, skate park and pavilion

Holmbury Drive
Arch to take brickworks clay under Inholms Lane at the end of the road. The arch was created in 1951
Inholms Lane Open Space Local Nature Reserve. Access under the arch. Managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust. The area formerly quarried for brick making clay is a mixture of open grassland and young woodland. the first phase of succession started here about 1961 where the tallest birches form a block. The remainder of the site was dug out, then left alone to recolonise. Of interest are the orchids, D. fuchsii, and the insects, green hairstreak and small blue butterflies, and Roessel’s bush cricket. There are common lizards, and buzzards are seen overhead. There is lichen heath. The site shows ecological succession - freshly disturbed clay slopes benefit insects and lichens; the birch scrub attracts foraging birds and mycorrhizal toadstools in the autumn. Around the site are fragments of ancient woodland from medieval hedge lines where dormice live, with bluebells, dogs mercury and wood anemones

Holmesdale road
North Holmwood Estate. This is built on the site of the Dorking Brickworks. The Dorking Brick Company Ltd was set up in 1914 and in 1921 F Howard Paget developed it for the production of multi coloured, sand-faced, wire-cut bricks. IN 1940 the firm became the Sussex and Dorking United Brick Co Ltd and it became part of the Redland Group in 1958. During The Second World War it partly closed and produced common bricks for building air raid shelters, and emergency projects. The works included a 2ft 10in gauge railway system operated by stationary engines and an automatic driverless locomotive, now in Amberley Museum. In the 1960s output was 15 million bricks per year. It closed in 1981 as the clay source became exhausted.

Inholms Lane
The main clay pit of the Dorking Brick Co was south of Inholms Lane and the clay was transported from there to the works through an arch below the road to the clay pit area which has been landscaped and planted.
North Holmwood Sports Club. Cricket ground and pavilion.
Ada Cottage. Home of Christopher Whall Arts and Crafts stained glass artist

Lodge Close
Site of Holmwood Lodge home of George Rennie bridge designer, civil and mechanical engineer and designer of the Royal Navy's first screw-propelled vessel, the Dwarf

Saturday, 22 January 2011

Thames Tributary Bents Brook - North Holmwood

Thames Tributary Bents Brook
The Brook flows north east towards Tanners Brook and the River Mole


Post to the south Mid Holmwood
Post to the east North Holmwood

Bentsbrook Road
Bents Brook runs between the road and Deepdene Avenue
Flint Hill
4 home of. Charles Upfold, ropemaker,
Rope Walk which Charles Upford had at the beginning of the 20th opposite the Windmill where the cars are parked between the road and the hedge.
Housing on the site of the Windmill Pub. This was a Friary house which closed in 2004

Goodwyns Road
St John’s Church of England School
Harelands Wood

Holmesdale Road
Brickworks House - the Dorking Brick Company’s manager's Victorian house refaced and extended in 1931 using bricks from the works. .

Horsham Road
Holmwood Farm

Inholms Lane
North Holmwood Pottery. This was opposite the North church and made flower pots and other coarse ware.
Pond near the church. This was probably made by clay dug for the pottery.
St John the Evangelist church built in 1874 on hillside on Holmwood Common. Money for it construction were raised by Ladies Anne and Mary Legge, daughters of the Earl of Dartmouth, who lived at Holmwood Lodge. Designed by Rohde Hawkins, who lived at Redlands, and built on common land donated by the Duke of Norfolk.

Spook Hill
North Holmwood Common. Part of the Manor of Dorking, owned by King Harold before the Conquest, the last owner was the Duke of Norfolk. Too swampy for farming it was left wild although commoners use it for turf, timber and grazing. Some ancient oaks survive. Most of it was donated to the National Trust in 1956 by the local authorities who had bought it from the Duke of Norfolk.
Houses once called Potkiln Cottages
Pillar Box. By the post office a George V ‘Ludlow box’. During the 1980s the enamel plate was removed.
Village Hall
The Studio, late 19th studio of Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, sculptor to Queen Victoria,
Bentsbrook, mansion of Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, sculptor stood opposite

Thames Tributary Bents Brook - Mid Holmwood

Thames Tributary Bents Brook
Bents Brook flows north east to Tanners Brook and the River Mole


Post to the north North Holmwood

Horsham Road
In 1755 the Horsham to Epsom turnpike was built here across common land. Past the site of the Old Nags head it followed the line of the current Horsham Road. In the 1820s the turnpike was further diverted to the west.
Forge Works
Red Chilli, previously Little Chef
Priory Cottage 18th Listed Grade II
The Norfolk Arms built c1830 and closed 1969. Now in residential use.
Hut to the rear of the pub was used by the Ancient Order of Foresters
Solway House. Walking stick factory run by Henry Isemonger who was also minster of the Promised Land Chapel which was in the grounds of his house. The factory closed in 1942
Norfolk Garage. Built by the pub landlord for a cartage business. Said to be the site of a pond into which wood shavings from the walking stick factory were thrown.
Holmwood Independent Chapel. Now housing
The Old Nag's Head and September Cottages. Late 17th cottages. The Old Nag's Head became an inn in the late 18th when the turnpike road was built but closed in the 1820s when the turnpike was diverted. It is now in residential use.
Pump

Redlands Lane
Redlands Farm. 16th farmhouse with 16th barns, and later granary and dairy. During the 18th it was part of the Bury Hill estate.

Stane Street
The line of the Roman road runs to the west of the present main Horsham Road

Friday, 21 January 2011

Thames Tributary Black Brook - Blackbrook

Thames Tributary Black Brook
Black Brook flows north towards Tanner’s Brook and the River Mole

Post to the north Tanners Brook
Post to the east Great Brockhamhurst

Blackbrook Road
Blackbrook House. Victorian
The Plough. The pub sign has a red shield in a circle with 'K&B' surmounted by a crown and there are two more signs on thewalls. One which says 'King & Barnes ... Fine Horsham Ales'

Thames Tributary Mole - Brockham

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole continues to flow on a convoluted course now turning north west.

TQ 20173 49989

Area of housing in countryside off the A25

Post to the west Brockham
Post to the east Betchworth



Kiln Lane
Brockham Brickfield. J Franks had a brickfield in Kiln Lane until 1926. The site is now occupied by housing in Nutwood Avenue

SourcesIndustrial Archaeology of Reigate and Banstead
Surrey History

Thames Tributary River Mole - Betchworth

Thames Tributary River Mole
The River Mole continues to flow north west and then turns south. It continues to be very convoluted

TQ 21121 49712 

Pretty Surrey village with big houses, church and other facilities.

Post to the west Brockham
Post to the east Wonham

Church Street
St.Michael’s Church. It closes the vista at the end of the village street. It is pre-conquest with Saxon mouldings and is dedicated to St.Michael who slew the beast in the Book of Revelation – and was thus seen as a protective dedication by the herdsmen who would have used the church. It was restored in 1850. Monuments: Brass to Thomas Morsted, erected by Henry V's chief medical officer at Agincourt; tablet to Henry Goulburn, a member of Peel's cabinet; and Sir Benjamin Brodie, the doctor, who attended three Sovereigns and Sir Robert Peel. The north transept is called the Goulburn Chapel. Listed Grade II
Churchyard. It is east/west bisected by a right-of-way, which passes through an ornamental stone archway. War memorial cross from the First World War by Leonard Martin, F.R.I.B.A. and erected in 1920. An additional eight names record those who died in the Second World War. Listed Grade II
Priest's Cottage within the boundaries of the churchyard
Forge within the boundaries of the churchyard. A forge has operated here since the 17th- by the Weller family until the early 20th and then by the Stovells. Timber frame with brick infilling and plain tiled roof.
1-3 House 16th with 17th extensions. Timber framed with whitewashed brick infilling over whitewashed brick cladding
The White House. Senior and Carmichael. Furniture workshop. When a new vicarage was built in 1881, a local builder, Daniel Debenham, took over the old one along with the yard. In 1897 a Reigate builder, J King, built this workshop which was moved here from Reigate. In the 1920s it was used by George Cummins and Son who built many local of houses.
4 Bakery from the early 19th century until the mid 20th century. The bakehouse contained a large oven fired by faggots.
The Gardens. Cottage. 17th Timber frame with colour washed brick infilling,
Vicarage. House, now divided into four. Built 1715 by the Revd. Hugh Griffiths, Red brick, once colour washed. Listed grade II
Hamilton room – community space
Church barn. Painted black. 7 bays. Converted to housing.
Barn- 2 bays built of re-used timber
Ruined barn used as a garage

The Street
Acorns school Betchworth base aka North Downs Primary School
Home Farm, House 17th Timber framed, clad in whitewashed brick and tile hung on first floor Listed Grade II
Betchworth House. Domestic Georgian. Plaque 1675 but probably later. Added to 18th. Built for by the Freeman family. Red brick cladding and stucco at the rear. Mersham stone door surround approached up steps with iron hand-rail and cellar entrance
Gateway to Betchworth house gardens. 18th Painted brick on plinths. Side pedestrian entrances and main gates were between pineapple-topped gate piers, now gone.
Gardens. by Repton and considered to be an important example of his work
Stable block. Listed Grade II Mid 18th. Red brick L-shaped plan to with the block connected by a wall along the east side to the northern range, gardens in between. Single storey shed links the stables to the east wall. The eastern wall connecting the blocks is a notable feature of the Village Street.
Dolphin. Pub c.1700 opposite the forge. A brew house stood in what is now the car park with a horse-operated pump. Beer and cider were made here until 1926. Originally a house of whitewashed brick with plain tiled mansard roof
Old Mill. Cottage genuine 16th Timber framed, clad in whitewashed roughcast with whitewashed rubble stone. Two storeys with first floor jettied on joist ends
Mill - a fulling mill is listed here in 1299, and land for a mill mentioned in 1634
Dillon Cottage. Painted brick with plain tiled roof and tile hung gable end to right.
Fire Engine House. The village fire engine used to be kept in the `building facing the doors of the forge. The appliance, operated by a volunteer crew, contained hoses and a hand-worked pump.
Betchworth Bridge. This three-arched bridge, which carries The Street over the Mole, was built in 1842 and refurbished by Surrey County Council in 1993. The northern approach has the footway on a raised causeway in case of flooding
4/23 Morden Grange Cottages. Listed Grade II. House, 17th Timber framed, clad in 19th brick below and club tile hanging above,
The Old House. Direct early 18th building. Former service building Red and brown brick with plain-tiled roof. Listed Grade II

Snowershill
Fryleigh Shaw
Fryleigh cottages. House, now divided. Early 16th and 18th. Timber framed, exposed with whitewashed brick and render infilling. Possible remains of hall house. Listed Grade II

Wellhouse Lane
Keepers Cottage, Late 17th Timber framed with brick infilling, once colour washed, Listed Grade II
Dendy’s Wood

Wonham Lane
Cricket Ground
Wonham Wood Cottage
More Place .15th House. Enlarged in 17th and late 19th. Timber framed, in close stud pattern with render infilling, colour washed brick cladding to left, brick mathematical tiles on rear. Horsham slab roofs and Reigate stone stack. Stone niche in stack with bust of a Bishop,
Stables, now two cottages. Late 17th converted and extended in
20th. Timber framed clad in red brick with some tile hanging. Listed Grade II
Ice house. 18th brick ice house set into an artificial mound and largely hidden under trees Egg shaped brick with domed roof, oak door, brick entrance with grille

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey.
Pevsner. Surrey
The Penguin Surrey
London Transport Country Walks 79

Thames Tributary River Mole - Wonham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow north west towards the Thames and is joined from the north by the Shagbrook


Post to the west Betchworth
Post to the east Reigate Heath
Post to the south Ricebridge

Agland Copse

Trumpetshill Road
Little Santon Farmhouse. Timber framed house of late 16th or early 17th restored and enlarged. Inside are huge stone fireplaces under main stack and a Tudor arched fireplace on each floor
The Old School House
Santon Farm. Secret room between two chimneys

Wonham Lane
Wonham Manor. Country house Remodelled around an old core, in 1787, for the Hon. Charles Marsham, (Earl of Romney), alterations in 1810 by Lewis Wyatt. Top storey removed in 1926. Red brick with Roman cement and battlemented parapets.
Wonham Mill. Unpretentious 19th water mill now redeveloped as housing. The mill ponds are fed from the Shag Brook and it discharges into the Mole 100 yards away   It is probably a Domesdaay site. In 1845- 1930 the Bowyer family were tenants. An overshot wheel, was supplemented in the 1890s by a Simon roller mill powered by a 16hp Hornsby oil engine. In 1914 a four-storey extension was added and the stable block replaced. In 1930 and the Millers' Mutual Association took over the mill and sold the machinery. The buildings were requisitioned for grain storage during World War II and from 1946 it was used by William Lillico and Son Ltd for storage of animal feedstuff and grain drying.


Sources
Pevsner  Surrey
Stidder, Watermills of Surrey

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Ricebridge

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow in a convoluted path north west. It is joined by the Gad Brook from the south east.


Post to the north Wonham
Post to the east Flanchford
Post to the south Leigh Place

Guzzle Copse

Knights Gorse

Ricebridge Lane
Ricebridge Farm 16th
Ricebridge

Thames Tributary Gad Brook - Dawes Green

Thames Tributary Gad Brook
The Gad Brook continues flowing north east towards the Mole

TQ 21746 47111

Upmarket countryside area

Post to the west Brockham Park
Post to the east Leigh Place

Bunce Common Road
Hook Farm

Dawes Green
Seven Stars. Public house. 17th and extended in 19th. Red brick with whitewashed brick ground floor and weatherboard. Inside brick fireplace. And 17th wall text. There is also some Friary Meux brewery signage - a horseshoe, bordered with hop leaves, and a wall plaque with 'Friary Meux Bitter' with a horseshoe.

Gadbrook Road
Woodstock Farm House. 17th house. Timber framed with whitewashed rendered infilling
Gadbrook Chapel. Now a house in 1830s building
Gadbrook House
Speedwell Cottages

Snower Hill Road
Little Abbots Farm. Timber framed house.
Barn – weather boarded
Tapner’s Bridge
Mark Mead Plantation


Sources
Brewery History Society. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Seven Stars. Web site

Thames Tributary Gad Brook - Brockham Park

Thames Tributary Gad Brook
The Gad Brook continues to flow north east towards the Mole

TQ 20361 47545

Wooded and residential area south of Brockham, with an interesting and important research past

Post to the south Bunce Common
Post to the east Dawes Green

Gadbrook Road
Hall Farm. This area is now a trading estate
Barn – once roofed with hazel thatch

Lazell Gardens
H.Lazell set up the research facility here after the Second World War

Middle Street
Coleshill farm. Listed

Rykens Lane
Named for Paul Rykens, ex-Chair of Unilever and founder of the Bilderberg Group.
Brockham Park Research Laboratories. In 1945, the park was acquired by Beecham Research Laboratories Ltd. Beecham developed penicillin derivatives: pheneticillin, meticillin and later Ampiclox. In 1959 Beecham scientists at Brockham discovered the penicillin nucleus, which allowed the synthesis of a number of new semisynthetic penicillins. Beecham then marketed Broxil followed shortly by Celbenin which is active against Staphylococcus aureus.
Shop - originally a farmhouse, later used as a house and bailiff's office, and later workshop and shop. Built c1600, and extended in the early 19th. Timber-framed building tile hanging to first floor and one brick chimneystack. originally this as a lobby-entrance house. There is a verandah with a tiled roof on painted wooden supports plus a porch. There is also a false window and Inside are beams and a chimneystack which has been boxed in.

Sources
Brickham History. Web site
Brockham Park. Wikipedia. Web site
Dorking Museum. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of the Mole Valley.
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

Monday, 17 January 2011

Thames Tributary Gad Brook - Bunce Common Road

Thames Tributary Gad Brook
The Gad Brook continues to flow north east towards the Mole

TQ 21067 46933

Upmarket Surrey countryside

Post to the west Great Brockhamhurst
Post to the north Brockham Park

Bunce Common Road
Bunce Common Farm

Shellworth Road
Gas Valve Compound

Westwood Common

Sources

Sunday, 16 January 2011

Thames Tributory Gad Brook - Great Brockhamhurst

Thames Tributory Gad Brook
The Gad Brook has flowed north and north west from a number of sources around South Holmwood and continues towards the Mole.


Post to the west Black Brook
Post to the east Bunce Common

Brockhamhurst Road
Great Brockhamhurst. Stud farm. The farm house is 17th with Georgian addition and a cellar
Railway carriage. London Chatham and Dover Railway 5-compartment six-wheel third class carriage. Built 1885 and converted to a home with a brick chimney.
Kile Copse

Thames Tributary – River Mole - Flanchford Bridge

Thames Tributary – River Mole
The Mole continues to flow on a winding course in a north westerly direction. It is joined in thus section by the stream from Leigh from the south and by the Wallace brook from the north.


Post to the west Leigh Place
Post to the north Flanchford

Flanchford Road
Butlers Shaw
Limekiln.
South of Butler's Shaw. This is a brick-built kiln in considerable disrepair.
Flanchford Mill. This is on the Wallace Brook near its confluence with the Mole. Watermill built mid 18th – the date of 1768 is on an internal wall. It has 15th foundations and a mill has been on this site since the 13th. It is a timber-frame building with replacement weatherboard - and unusual in that it is a wooden mill, a very common type of which few survive. It has a semi derelict breast-shot water-wheel from 1870. In the roof are six grain bins set between wooden staging, with the trap-doors for sacks. Inside much original machinery remains although some has collapsed-this includes: pit wheels, gearing, sack-hoist and flour grader. There were two pairs of millstones and one base stone survives in situ plus the wooden housing for another. It operated until the Second World War by which time the water supply was so unreliable that it could only be used in the winter. Building restored 1997.
Two cottages attached to the mill. 18th with 20th alterations. Built of red brick with brick chimney stacks.
Mill pond, used for breeding fish but it had become derelict and choked with weed after flood damage to the sluice.
Skeets Farm, the farm is on the watercourse from Leigh. Here called Skeets Brook
Burys Court. The house dates from 1876 and was built for Edward Charrington of the brewery. In 1930, it became a girls' school but in the Second World War was used by Lloyds Insurance, and then it became a hotel. In 1952 it was sold as private preparatory school and has changed hands through various educational entrepreneurs since. In 2005 it was sold to the current owners.
Moon Hall School, this is a charity which runs private schools for dyslexic children. One such school is at Bury’s court
Bury’s Court School. This is the prep (junior) school for dyslexic pupils.
Denshott Farm
Flanchford Bridge


Sources
A.J.Haselfoot, The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Headley and Meulencamp. Follies.
Studder. Watermills of Surrey




http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2011/01/thames-tributary-river-mole-wallace.html

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook - South Park

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook
The Brook flows south east and then south west to join the Mole


Post to the west Flanchford
Post to the north Reigate Park


Clayhall Lane
Clayhall Farm


New North Road
Hall and Montessori Nursery


Sandcross road
Sandcross Infant and Junior School


Slipshatch Road
Slipshatch Wood
Withy Wood
Slipshatch Cottage


Whitehall Lane
King George’s Field. South Park Sports Association

Thames Tributary River Mole - Wallace Brook - Flanchford Road

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues flowing in a convoluted course north w
est
Wallace Brook. The brook continues to flow south towards the Mole and turns to the east


Post to the north Reigate Heath
Post to the west Ricebridge
Post to the east South Park
Post to the south Flanchford Bridge


Flanchford Road
Santon House. 17th timber framed house with alterations and additions. Inside ceiling beams and a wide inglenook. Modern extensions.
Santon cottages early 16th house with a facade of diamond tiling with brick below, and a timber frame.
Barn. Timber-framed, weather boarded barn probably early 17th.
Flanchford Farmhouse 18th
Pigsty to west of Farmhouse.1800
Flanchford Farm Cottages 19th
Threshing barn.1700
Cart shed 18th
Granary 18th
Farm offices 18th
Barn 17th
Wall 1700
Gilberts Farm 16th
Granary on iron staddles to north of Gilbert's Farm Barn 1900
Greenlane Cottages
Little Flanchford Farm

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook - Reigate Heath

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook
The Wallace brook flows south towards the Mole


Post to the west Wonham
Post to the east Reigate Park
Post to the south Flanchford


Bonny’s Road
An area once known as Skimmington Down
Reigate Heath Golf Course. The Club was formed in 1895 and has nine holes
Bonny Mineral Water factory. In the 1860s a mineral water factory was built in Bonnys Road. James Bonny had a 300 foot well dug. The factory closed in the 1950s.
Skimmington Castle pub. Listed Grade II. Probably 17th timber framed building faced in stucco with a late 19th public house front. Inside exposed beams and an inglenook with bread oven and salt cupboard. Behind a mound of chalk rubble and brick. It may once have been a farm.
Edwardian post box
Skimmington cottages


Flanchford Road
Heathfield. Heathfield House dates from 1867. The architect was F Marrable, Architect, and it was remodelled for J Arthur Rank by A Mort, in 1939 it was divided into flats in the 1950s. It is listed including garden wall, columns and summer house. J.Arthur Rank, grain miller, founder of the Rank Organisation and pioneer of religious films
Heathfield Farm. 17th locally listed. Once used as a school
Trumpet’s Hill Mill. Smock mill late 18th demolished 1950. For a while worked by the same people as the Wonham watermill.
Trumpets Hill House. designed by David Barry and constructed in 1901, and has a distinctive green roof. This was adjacent to the windmill
Trumpets Hill Copse
Dungate Manor. Now a care home. Built 1899 F.Knight
Stepstile Meadow. 1930s house where considerable Bronze Age and medieval remains have been found in the area

Littleton Lane
This was once called Waterworks Lane
Littleton Manor Farm. 17th House. Modern boarding on the first floor. Small dairy wing.
Littleton

Trumpets Hill Road
June Farm
June Farm Cottage. Listed Grade II
Granary Annexe, June Farm. Listed Grade II

Saturday, 15 January 2011

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook - Reigate Park

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook
The brook flows westwards going towards the Mole


Post to the south South Park
Post to the west Reigate Heath

Ede’s Field
A group of houses known as Cabbage Stalk Town. Ede’s were farmers in this area
Wayside, 19th. Ironstone and flint
April Cottage & 5 Ede’s Cottages 19th. Brick
1 & 2 Ede's Cottages 19th. Ironstone
The Cottage.19th. Ironstone

Littleton Lane
Disused reservoir. The Reigate Water Co. Was formed here in 1859.

Park Lane
Reigate Rugby Club. Founded in 1934 with an ‘enviable location’

Reigate Park
Reservoir
Reigate Priory Park. This is the western part of the park around Reigate Priory – this had been an Augustinian priory, converted into a house for Lord Howard of Effingham. The Park was given to the borough by Mr. Vogan in the 1920s
Priory Pond. This was once a number of fish ponds. The earliest recorded is 1391. There were five in 1770 which were turned into one by 1860.
Lady Henry Somerset’s secret garden.
In the woodland is the tallest Hornbeam in the UK
Break Neck Hill with memorial bench

Thames Tributary – stream - Leigh Place

Thames Tributary – stream
The stream flows north east towards the Mole


Post to the north Ricebridge
Post to the west Dawes Green
Post to the east Flanchford Bridge
Post to the south Leigh


Church Road
Leigh Place. House. 15th built for the Ardene Family, extended in 17th and 18th and then rebuilt in Gothic style by Richard Dentz in 1810. Timber framed, with red brick, a wooden lantern and weathervane. Battlemented entrance. It stands on a moated site and has associated medieval fishponds

Thames Tributary – stream - Leigh

Thames Tributary – stream flowing northwards to the Mole
This stream derives from the Beare Green area and flows north


Post to the north Leigh Place

Clayhill Road
St Bartholomew's Church. Built 15th and now listed grade 2*. There were some Victorian alterations including the addition of a stone tower.
Plough Pub. Listed Grade II. 18th with 19th extension. Weatherboard with
whitewashed render and some tile hanging. Part of the group around the Village Green.
Clayhill Farm West Coates Farm The Priest’s House. 15th core, extended in 16th, 19th and 20th. Timber framed with whitewashed brick and Horsham slab roof. The original house
is left of centre with later builds extending outwards. The nucleus of the building is said to be the Priest's house. Listed Grade II
Well head and pump. Concrete platform with 4 posts and a Horsham slab roof with bargeboards. Cast iron octagonal pump with a scrolled handle and a Stone bowl. Installed 1875 by James Wilson who rented a big house locally.
Leigh Hammer forge. This was sited on the stream to the south of Clayhill Farm. No remains but cinders from the forge have been found in the stream. The forge is known to have been in operation in the mid 16th

Smalls Mill Road
Leigh Mill. This is now a private house.  It was once known as Godstone Mill and produced flour and gunpowder.  It was in use in the early 15th and gunpowder produced here in the 17th by the Evelyn family. It reverted to flour and continued in use until 1934. A waterwheel and stones remain on site.

Tapners Road
School - the village school was founded in 1845 and has been on its present site since 1914. As Acorns Primary school it is federated with two schools in neighbouring villages.

Sources
Stidder. The Watermills of Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey
The Penguin Book of  Surrey

Thursday, 13 January 2011

Thames Tributory Mole - Bures Manor

Thames Tributory Mole
The Mole continues to flow in a convoluted fashion turnring north west. It is met by the Deansoak stream coming from the south

TQ 23275 46433

Very upmarket Surrey countryside

Post to the east Sidlow

Bures Manor
The Manor was the property of the Charrington family from the 17th. Both the brewery owners and the coal merchants derive from them.
Barn. 16th with 18th alterations, Weatherboarded and timber framed on brick plinth.

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

Thames Tributary River Mole - Sidlow

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow on a convoluted path in a south westerly direction
.

Post to the north Dovers Green
Post to the west Bures Manor
Post to the east Lonesome

Irons Bottom Road
Three Horseshoes Pub
Sidlow Bridge Centre. Surrey Pupil Referral Unit. Building is 1894 and was a local school for Horley and Sidlow.

Reigate road
The Bridge was heavily fortified, and the prepared for demolition, with a roadblock to its south near the junction with Irons Bottom Road.
Emmanuel Church designed by Henry Clutton. Built in 1861 on land from Kinnersley and Hartswood Manors. Some bombing in the 1939-45 war. The font comes from a derelict Chapel of St. Mary and the Angels, Duxhurst. There is a very fine Lych Gate Second World War memorial. Sidlow farm.Millstone on the path

Thames Tributary River Mole - Dovers Green

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole loops north and then flows southwards


Interesting area with lots of Second World War defence structures around a main road river crossing

Post to the south Sidlow
Post to the east Lonesome Lane

Dovers Green Road
The Crawley Road. First Surrey road to be improved 1696 as a saddle horse road but not for carriages until 1755. In 1820 the gradient was lowered

Dovers Farm Barn. Late 17th with end of 16th barn, Listed grade II. Timber frame with 20th weatherboarding. Plinth of brick and sandstone rubble. Cart-entry with the posts of the original cart door in position
Sidlow Bridge
Defence structures - Sidlow Bridge lay on GHQ Line 'B', when the line began to follow the course of the River Mole to link up eventually with the Rivers Eden and Medway. It was a defended locality, probably manned by troops from the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade and it commanded the direct road approach across the Mole towards Reigate, which was a Class 'A' nodal points including the headquarters of South-East Command. The bridge was heavily fortified, and the prepared for demolition. Double-line of anti-tank cubes were on the south-east side of the bridge. These were removed in the 1950s Infantry pillboxes stand to the north-east two type 24 are sited on a low ridge above the river. Infantry pillbox to the north on a low hill
Anti-tank gun emplacement north east of the bridge, this is used as a cattle shelter, the circular holdfast to mount the 6pdr. gun is still in position. Pillboxes, type 24 – line stand alongside the footpath that runs eastwards towards White Owl Farm
Sidlow Mill. This was the earliest mill mentioned on the Mole, there are Saxon references. There are documentsary records from 1279.  Closed in the 18th for reasons which are unclear, some traces of the mill leat remain.

Kiln Plantation
Broad Ten plantation
Ninety Three plantation
Twelve acre plantation
Reigate Grammar school Hartswood Sports Ground

Sources
Sidder. Water Mills of Surrey

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook and Mole - Lonesome Lane

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook and Mole
The Earlswood Brook joins the Mole which loops and flows westwards


Post to the north Earlswood Common
Post to the west Dovers Green
Post to the south Lonesome

Felland Copse
Woodland owned by Reigate and Banstead Council

Goals Copse

Lonesome Lane

Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook - Woodhatch

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook
The Earlswood brook flows westwards towards the


Post to the east Earlswood Common
Post to the south Lonesome Lane
 Arbutus Road

Road built in the 1950
Site of Meadvale Brickworks of William Brown and Sons which was adjacent to the fishing and boating lakes.


Earlswood Common
New pond. Had been used for swimming and a bathing area with steps, paved bottom, diving board, fence around and shrubs for screening, was provided after the First World War. The lake has a concrete bottom and had been used to test First World War tanks to cross flooded areas. The pond had originally been formed by the removal of clay in the 1300s

Lonesome Lane
Lonesome Lane Recreation ground

Pendleton Road
Originally called Union Road because it was the site of the workhouse. Pendleton was the middle name of a local resident.
Redhill and Reigate golf club and clubhouse. Oldest golf club in the area
Reigate School. Secondary school
Mackrells Earlswood Pottery

Rushet Road
Dovers Green School. Primary school

Willow Road
Road built in in the 1950s

Woodhatch road
New Pond Farm

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook - Earlswood Common

Thames Tributary Earlswood Brook
The Brook flows west towards the Mole


Urban and recreational area south of Redhill

Post to the west Earlswood Common
Post to the north Redhill Common


Asylum Arch Road
Jolly Tots Nursery site of pub called the Bridge Hotel, 1854.

Earlswood Common
Clay soil here was used for brick making from the middle ages
The Ring Cricket Ground. Redhill and Old Coulsdon Cricket Club. Old Coulsdon was a very old club, said to be the first to use three stumps, but joined with Redhill in 1997.
Boating Lake. Once had a kiosk and boats for rent. Lakes had been created by digging for clay workings from the 13th but the lakes were renovated for leisure use and a new water area created after the First World War.

Horley Road
Reigate and Banstead Council depot.
Earlswood Sewage Works. Owned by Surrey Water. Outflows into the Earlswood Brook – the largest such flow into a tributary of the Mole.

Three Arch Road
Redhill Football Club

Sources
Chelsea Speleolgical Society Journal 
Penguin Surrey
Redhill Cricket Club. Web site
Surrey County Council. Web site

Thames Tributary Redhill Brook

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2011/01/thames-tributary-streams-redhill-brook.html

The Redhill Brook flows to join the Nutfield and then the Salfords Stream and they then flow on to join the Mole

Thames Tributary Redhill Brook - south Nutfield

Thames Tributary Redhill Brook
The Brook flows westwards

Post to the north South Park
Post to the east Nutfield
Post to the south Redhill Aerodrome

King's Mill Lane
Kings Mill. The exaxct site if the origin mall is not known The current corn mill now offices ;was built before 1768 and is shown on the Rocque's map. A small weatherboarded mill which  stopped using water-power in 1944 but corn milling continued by electricity until 1963. The last use was for milling animal feed sold through a shop in the village.  There was a Cornish boiler and steam engine on site for a while.
The pond has been filled in and the river diverted away from the mill site.
Engineering works 1960s.

Canadian Road
Canadian Road a concrete road built by the Canadian forces

Redhill aerodrome
A pillbox, type 214, facing north at the northern part of the aerodrome. Part of the line from 1940 which runs through Tandridge District and was part of the General Head Quarters Line from the Bristol Channel to the Thames estuary. Pillboxes were built 100m apart and Royal Engineer commanders used local builders.
Structure, which resembles a pillbox from a distance but is in reality a brick wall enclosing a hexagonal area the size of a pillbox.
Pile of brick and concrete rubble seems to indicate the former presence of a pillbox or brick-walled enclosure
Line of hangars in use by business including Brake Bros food business
Wings Museum – this has moved from Redhill to near Balcombe in Sussex
Robin Cooks Farm

Staplehurst Farm

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
IA of the Tandridge District