Saturday, 30 April 2011

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne River -Squirrels Heath

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne River
The Ravensbourne flows southwards towards the River Rom

The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Gidea Park Station.

Post to the north Gallows Corner
Post to the south Heath Park
Post to the west Gidea Park


Ardleigh Green Road
All Saints Church. Built in 1957 by Tooley and Foster as a very simple brick church with a bell-cote. The church was moved here from Squirrels Heath Lane after the church there was bombed and because of the growth of population in this area. A church hall was added in 1959.
Ardleigh Green Schools – Ardleigh Green Junior School & Ardleigh Green Infant School. Opened by the council in 1933–4 and the senior department moved out in 1938
165 Ardleigh Green Baptist Church. This was originally a mission church from Hornchurch. A new school-chapel was built in 1933. The church became disused and has been turned into a family centre following a partnership with local schools and Havering College.
124 Ardleigh and the Dragon. Thai restaurant and pub. Previously called the Spencer’s Arms. This pub was a replacement for a much older pub with the same name – Spencer was the name of a local landowning family.
42 Ardleigh House Community Centre. The Community Association daters from 1946 and the County Council bought "Hardley Court’ and leased it to them while Havering College was built in the grounds. Eventually the house was demolished and the current building put in place.
Havering College of Further and Higher Education

Edward Close
Built in the 1920s by the Castellian family of Hare Hall.

Elvet Avenue.
Originally called Factory Road, Built for workers at the railway works plus a school for the children in 1843. Now an estate of low rise housing and tower blocks.
Factory Schoolroom two cottages knocked into one building and later used as a church hall. Now gone.
Railway Factory. An early and rare group of engineering and engine repair works. Built in the early 1840s by Braithwaite, Chief Engineer, Eastern Counties Railway. The railway opened in 1839 between Mile End and Romford, and to Brentwood in 1840. They were required to buy the Hare Hall estate where Braithwaite was to live. The railway works has two large parallel brick ranges plus a power house and chimney. Closest to the railway is a central archway entrance for locomotives plus a tower, originally with a clock. Behind are single-storey workshops which are early examples of galleried workshops, with a cast-iron internal frame - the columns acting as drains for the roof and dividing the interior into an aisle with galleries. The works were moved to Stratford in 1847 and these buildings used for making sacks and tarpaulin.
Railway Housing – Eastern Counties Railway built two rows of terraced houses for its workers along Elvet Avenue. These were cleared in 1963-5 and replaced with tower blocks by Romford Metropolitan Council.

Hillman Close
Hillman was a Romford based bus operator in the 1930s, who built up a large fleet and also branched into early air services.

South Drive
The original approach to Hare Hall, with interwar houses.
St.Mary’s Hare Park School. This is a private Roman Catholic school in what was Hare Lodge. This was built in 1904, by Seth-Smith for Major Charles Castellan, with a cruciform plan

Squirrels Heath
This name is recorded in the 16th and land here belonged to the Squirrel family whose ancestors. There is a Squirrels Farm on the 1805 Ordnance Survey

Squirrels Heath Lane
Squirrels Court. site of All Saints Chapel, opened in 1884, on a site given by Alfred Savill and it was enlarged and embellished in the 1920s. It was destroyed by bombing in 1941 and a pre-fabricated church erected ten years later.
Squirrels pub
New Inn
David Lloyd Leisure Centre

Upper Brentwood Road
101 Durham Arms
Royal Liberty School. Opened 1921 as the County High School for Boys. The core is Hare Hall a villa By James Paine. It was built 1768-9 on the site of a house called Goodwins Farm for John Wallinger, a cork and stone merchant from Colchester. In 1839, the Eastern Counties Railway Company bought the estate as part of their scheme to extend their Line from to Brentwood and it was used as a home for their engineer, Braithwaite. The hall was later sold and in 1897 bought by Edward and Lucy Castellan and a porch was added in 1896 by Howard Seth-Smith for them along with a pair of garden rooms. During the First World War it became Hare Hall Camp and housed the 2nd Battalion of the Artists Rifles. The Council bought the Hall and some land and in 1921 Hare Hall became the Royal Liberty School, a grammar school for boys – ‘Royal Liberty’ referring to the status of Havering. . The house is now a block in a quad built in 1929-30 by John Stuart, Essex County Architect.
South Lodge Queen Anne, with tapered chimney. Two ranges.
450-2, former estate cottages dated 1868 with blowsy doorcases.
Grounds of Hare Hall. Wallinger employed landscape gardener Richard Woods to improve the grounds. He provided a 'petrified' stone tree and cork tree in recognition of Wallinger's trades. There are few remains although there was a drained basin of a pond, with a damaged relic of a cascade and a brick and flint bridge. It is said that the line of an 'Elysian walk' cab still be traced.

Sources
All Saints Church. Web site
Ardleigh Green Baptist Church. Web site
Ardleigh Green School. Web site
Essex Journal
Field. London Place Names
Havering College of Further and Higher Education. Web site
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Havering. Wenb sote
London Railway Record
Osborne. Defending London
Royal Liberty School. Web site

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Ravensbourne - Gallows Corner

Thames Tributary River Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne rises in this area and flows southwards to join the River Rom



Post to the south Squirrels Heath
Post to the east Harold Wood

Eastern Avenue East
Built in the 1950s this was numbered A106 but has since taken over the A12 route and has been so renumbered. Construction along with and Southend Arterial Road began as a single project in 1921, and the route opened to traffic in 1924. It was built with a wide single carriageway

Colchester Road
A12, continues on the line of the Roman Road
The Plough. Closed in 2007 – burnt down in 2011. Said to be an old pub site on the Great Essex Road from the middle ages.
Woodman’s Cottages. These were adjacent to the Plough but have now gone.
Sculpture called ‘Romans’ by David Gerstein.

Gallows Corner
Said to have been close to the site of a gallows which is thought to have been north of Eastern Avenue East and south of Masefield Crescent. It was known as Romford Gallows and was for people tried for capital offences in Havering at Quarter Sessions. There were said to be executions here in the 16th and 17th. In 1791 the local court resolved to remove the gallows elsewhere until 1815. Supposed to have been lots of highwaymen here.
Road junction of a roundabout with five exits
Flyover – this links the first and third exits and which has some problems.
River Ravensbourne once known as Bolles or Bowles Brook rises in this area
Masefield Crescent
Built up from the mid-1930s

Harrow Crescent
Built up from the mid-1930s

Main Road
This was originally the Great Essex Road, later numbered A12 starting as a divergence form the A11 in Stratford, and running along the Roman road through Ilford and Romford up to Gallows Corner. It has since been replaced by Eastern Avenue and renumbered A118.
Gidea Park Sports ground and park. Romford Hockey Club and Cricket Clubs. In the 1950s and 60s it hosted games at County level.

Neave Close
Ravensbourne School for children with special needs. Opened in 1972 in a former social services training centre West Marsh House.

Romford Common
Romford Common ran from Gallows Corner northwards and about a hundred yards east of Straight Road, but stretched north and westwards. An Act of Enclosure was passed in 1811.

Straight Road
This was previously Gallows Lane. And was widened after enclosure and was built up from 1920
Police Station

Southend Arterial Road
The road was built in combination with Eastern Avenue and opened by Prince William in 1925. It begins at Gallows Corner.
Avenue Industrial Estate.

Widecombe Close
At the end is  a big 19th house. At one time the home of Bryant of Bryant and May. Maybe Angus Croll too

Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Haveringwell

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom continues to flow southwards


Post to the north Romford
Post to the south Eastbrookend

Gorseway
Romford Canal - south of the road there is what appears to be evidence of the canal behind trees. North of the road the route of the canal can be traced in undergrowth up the the YMCA car park.

Grenfell Avenue
Grenfell Hall Methodist church was opened in 1936 on a site given by developer Thomas England. It was two storeys.
Grenfell Park site given by developer Thomas England. The park runs alongside the River Rom and Much of if is used for conservation purposes with links to Thames Chase Nature Reserve.

Lyon Road
Brooke Trading Estate

Hornchurch Road
Roneo Corner. This was named for the large factory site of Roneo Vickers who make office equipment. During the 1890s part of the site was occupied by a bicycle factory and later, in 1908. The Neostyle Manufacturing Co., who became Roneo Ltd., opened its works here and by 1924 British Neopost Ltd was making a single value postal franking machine. They became Roneo Neopost Ltd, in 1931 and carried on with that business but later armaments were made here in the Second World War. In 1966 Roneo was acquired by Vickers Ltd. and in 1980 Vickers sold the business to Alcatel, and by that time they were making duplicators as their main product.
Crown Pub on a medieval site. It is claimed the pub dates from 1433, but been almost entirely rebuilt by 1923.It was once owned by the Hornchurch Brewery.
Havering Well. A hamlet existed here in the 13th and there was a well here as late as 1777. It was known then as Hornchurch Lane Spring and was seen as a medicinal well and in the early 20th there were still a number of springs behind the Roneo factory. The spring is commemorated by a plaque in ‘Havering Well Garden’.
South Essex Water Works Company. Pumping station for water supply to Romford in the 19th.

Old Church Park
Gravel extraction in this area – Palmers Sand Pits
The park was opened by Romford UDC before 1960
Queens Hospital. This is a new hospital built on the ground of Oldchurch Park. Building began in 2003 and finished in 2006. It is owned by the Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust and replacing Harold Wood Hospital and Oldchurch Hospitals.

Oldchurch Road
The name of Oldchurch is first recorded as Oldechirchehawe in 1451, and means 'enclosure near the old church', obviously referring to a former church here. This chapel dated from 1177, when it was part of the area of Hornchurch priory. It was dedicated to St. Andrew and was to the south of the junction of South Street and
Oldchurch Road and probably east of the river nearby a ford. This field was called Old Church mead or 'Ruing Meadow', 'Lower Ruings', 'Great Ruings' and 'Three Little Ruings' – which may refere to the site, or to something else altogether.. The village moved as trade on the main London/Colchester Road became important and also to avoid flooding from the Rom. It used to be said that the chapel was swallowed up by an earthquake and that the bells could be heard on St Andrew's Day.

Rom Valley Way
Romford Ice Rink. This was built in 1987 on the site of a football stadium left unfinished by Romford Football Club because of debt problems. The arena opened in 1987 and holds 1,500 spectators for ice hockey games.
Seedbed centre – office space for new businesses
Superstore on the site of Ruing Meadow

Rush Green Road
The road from Ilford to Hornchurch. ‘Rush Green’ obviously means the ‘area where rushes grow’
The Romford Canal. It is assumed that the canal would have crossed what is now the intersection with Rom Valley Way
148 The Havering Well venue. Part of The Tavern Pub
YMCA .It is thought that the Romford Canal, had it been built, would have crossed the car park running parallel to the Rom

South Street
South Essex Water Works Company offices and works here from 1887 until mid 20th.

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Romford

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows south east and is met by Blacks Brook from the north east
.


The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs into Romford Station from Chadwell Heath Station and continues onwards running eastwards

Post to the north Romford
Post to the south Haveringwell
Post to the west New Romford
Post to the east Heath Park



Albert Road
66 Anthony Clifford dance studios. Dance school founded 1994. Previously this was the Romford Working Men’s Club
Albert Road School. Now called Century Youth House. Albert Road Board School was opened in 1884. The school was renamed Manor Junior Mixed and Infants School in 1956. Closed 1979.
Durham Arms
48-50 Freedom Healthcare. This was once Legge Brothers, Hygienic Steam Bakery. Fencing company at the rear.

Angel Way.
Trinity Methodist Church. Built 1888 at what was then the junction of Mawney Road and Linden Street. The building was erected by Messrs J.A. Allen & Sons of Kilburn from plans by Chas. Bell. Some bombing in 1940. In 1971 Mawney Road became Angel Way following the construction of the ring road.
Schools built 1899. Extended 1923 and 1936. Front of red brick
Post office and sorting office. Demolished.
Multi-story car park

Arcade Place
Named after Romford’s first shopping arcade

Atlanta Boulevard
Hollywood Nightclub. Once called Vivid and Elite

Eastern Road
81 Locally listed
84 Locally listed
86 Locally listed
90 St Kilda's, Locally listed
Romford and District Synagogue. The congregation dates from 1933. And a synagogue was registered in 1938. After the Second World War a permanent synagogue was built in the garden of a house in Eastern Road and 1970 a larger one on the site of the house

Exchange Street
Telephone Exchange Locally listed

Havana Road
Named for the now defunct Havana Cinema
Spiral access ramp to car park

Hedley Close
Youth Zone

High Street
2 Golden Lion, 17th inn and one of only a few coaching inns remaining in London. It dates from around 1450 with an early Victorian frontage which hides a 16th house inside –this was once a galleried inn. The Golden Lion was the badge of the Lion of Flanders
15 The Bitter End. Rock venue also called Horne’s.
15 Ford and Firkin. This was once The White Hart, an old in which had been rebuilt in 1896. It was also the brewery tap. The old White Hart dated from at least the 17th and under the Commonwealth the local Divisional Committee met there.
19-21 Havering Museum. It is in some of the old brewery buildings.
Romford Brewery - Frontage remaining. This was founded by Edward Ind at the Star Inn in 1799. He was joined by brothers George and Octavius Coope in 1845. By 1908 the Romford Brewery produced 8,000 barrels of beer a week and employed 450. In 1961 a new bottling hall was built; new tun and wort coppers were installed and keg packaging lines were fully automated. They produced John Bull Bitter, Skol Lager, Lowenbrau and Castlemaine XXXX. The Brewery also had its own railway from 1853 which was accessed from the Eastern Counties Railway by wagon hoist which was soon replaced by an incline. In 1945 the Brewery had two steam locomotives. The frontage in the high street was rebuilt by Charles Dyson. It is in stock brick witrh an arch to the brewery yard. There are replica gates decorated with wrought iron hop vines. The brew house was behind the offices. The Rom flowed beneath the brewery and divided the site. In the wall was a stone from the old bridge “George II Regis Anno Imperii Decimo Reaedificatus', 1738. Some older buildings around the bridge over the Rom remained including some mid 1950s buildings with dramatic ferroconcrete shell roofs. The brewery closed in 1993.
The Brew. The 26-acre brewery site is now covered by a supermarket, cinema, and leisure shops developed by Chetwood Associates in 2002. A ramp wraps round the chimney which was built in 1974. Close to the entrance to the site from London Road is an item from the brew house, by R. Ramsden & Son, 1850.
Salvation Army Citadel, built 1967 by Ernest T. Lipscombe. Circular church building with a plaque which says “Opened April 29th 1967 by The General Frederick Coutts in commemoration of the Salvation Army Centenary 1865-1965
Prudential Building, Locally listed
Secrets Night Club was in a public house which had been originally at the junction of Mawney Road – which is now Angel Way - and High Street. It was called the Woolpack but was later The Angel. There was an Angel pub in the High Street in 1488. Not clear if this was the same site. The pub had a plaque on it saying that Edward Ind of the Brewery had once lived there.

Junction Road
The junction referred to being the railway which divides just at the end of the road

Kingsmead Avenue
Kingsmead Mansions, Locally listed mansion flats
Pump house Locally listed

Market Link
McClusky’s Bar
15 Church House. 15th house with 19th alterations. Plaque between 1st floor windows with armorial bearing. Has original timber beams inside. It is built to open out onto the churchyard so it could have been a merchant's house - the jutting upper floor was originally over the street. It was bought by the church in 1480 as a house for the chantry priest but sold after the reformation in 1548. It was altered in the c16, when it became the Cock and Bell Inn which was licensed in 1600... In the 19th it became an inn called the Cock and Bell? It was also called the Chequers for a while. Then during the 19th it was bought by local brewers Ind Coope and in 1908 they surrendered the licence and sold it to New College, Oxford, and it was renamed Church House.

Market Place
Market. Romford has a spacious Market Place, 365 ft long and 50 ft wide. Until 1933 the courthouse and gaol remained. It has a charter from Henry III and a market every Wednesday. Originally it was a livestock market and in the 15th it was a centre for the leather trade. Eventually it became a centre selling fruit and vegetables, farm tools and clothing. In 1892 the Local Board, bought it and it still owned and managed by Havering Council. It is here that there were stories of 19th wife auctions. 3 Windmill & Bells, pub closed in 1906 and stood on the north side
33 early 18th
5 Lamb Pub. Rebuilt in 1852-3 in the 16th it was a coaching inn and later owed by Ind Coope. Plain with two pedimented gables
60-72 Debenham’s. this was originally L F Stone’s Department Store opened in 1864 by Denny Stone and was taken over by Debenhams in 1960 who replaced the frontage which is ‘domineering; with a monotonous length and blank façade.
74-76 The Bull Hotel. Locally listed, it dates from at least 1630. Rebuilt in the 1880s.
9-13, a former bank
Barclays Bank. This was the site of the installation of the first “automatic teller machine” – a cash point in the wall, in June 1967. A plaque about this was unveiled by the Mayor in 1992
Boots Chemist. Locally listed
St Edward’s (C.E.) Schools. Founded as a charity school in 1711, with new buildings erected in Market Place 1728. It housed the Library from 1930 until it was replaced in the 1960s. The school had been built in 1728 with a 1733 school masters’ house to one side of it. It layer became known as St.Edward’s National School. It included on the frontage figures of a boy and girl, now preserved in the successor school. Demolished in 1968.
Churchyard 15th.
Duke of Wellington. Demolished 1967 and was on the site of a Littlewoods Department store. It had previously been called the 'Blucher's Head Inn' was, but was re-named due to anti-German feeling in the First World War.
HSBC. The building was originally by W. E.Westgate in 1905 in brick and bath stone, for L.F. Makins, grocer, and his badge is still on the building. Next to the Lamb
Kings Arms. This was another ancient building which lost its licence in about 1889, allegedly because its patrons' behaviour.
King's Head Inn. A Victorian rebuild of an original of 1714. Replaced by Boots the Chemist.
King's Hall, behind the Kings Head a popular dance venue north side.
Littlewoods Department Store. Opened in the 1960s and closed 2006.
Macarthy's mineral water factory. This was here in 1856 as the extension of a pharmacy which had been here since 1823. It was steam powered and remained in place until the late 1930s.
Market Hall. Replica of a three storey traditional 'market hall' with an open, arcaded ground floor. Re-instates the enclosed space of the market at the eastern end. Flats by Maslin Herman Brenshaw Partnership had been built above the shops to replace the 1930s covered market.
Pig in the Pound, formerly known as the Queen and Crown. This building is now Sadie’s dress shop.
Quadrant Arcade. 1930s ‘moderne’ detailing with some original doors inside. It has a ‘race-track’ roof-light and a clock at the Market Place entrance. It reflects the surge of residential development in the 1930s. It was opened in 1935 after the Council agreed to pay for the demolition of the old Council office building at the market entrance. Was bombed in the Second World War.
Queen's Head. A coaching inn, which was supposed to be part of the Bethnal Green legend of the Blind Beggar.
Rumford Shopping Hall was built in 1932 for undercover, traffic-free shopping. Locally listed
St.Edward the Confessor Church. This is a church built in a new village when the centre had moved to higher ground because of floods from the Rom. The church replaced the earlier chapel of St Edward the Confessor consecrated in 1410. It was built in 1849 by John Simson on the site of the old church in Kentish rag with Bath-stone re-using some of the stone from the old church on the site together with stone from John Nash's elegant Quadrant in Regent Street It has an embattled tower with a 162 ft spire with a clock and eight bells. Monument to Sir Anthony Cooke tutor to Edward VI, 576, and his six children Plans for a new church at the other end of the market place could not get funding.
25-29 T.J. Hughes, 1960 by North & Partners, department store with textured-tile facing.
The Dolphin coaching inn stood on the site of the C&A Department Store. North side. This pub was built in 1630 with a galleried yard and extensive stables. It was demolished in 1900.
Market superintendents offices were built on the site of an old tannery from the 17th, demolished in 1970s. Remains of a tannery pond were found here at the east end of the market
White Swan', partly dating from 1594, the name is commemorated in Swan Walk. It stood on the north side. The walk goes through the site of where the pub stood.

Mawney Road
The southern part was renamed Angel Way after the ring road was built.

Mercury Gardens
Premier Inn including the Liberty Bell Restaurant
The Mall Romford. Shopping Mall originally called Liberty II. Opened 2006 and includes a Mecca Bingo. Liberty Two itself was opened in 1990

Moss Lane
An unadopted footway between houses which may/may not be an ancient east/west road

North Street
The main route from Romford to Havering-atte-Bower and Collier Row. Once called Collier Row Lane.
36-38 Buddha Lounge – previously this was Opium Lounge
37-39 Wedding Gallery Locally listed

Romford
Romford was the site of a station on Roman Hare Street. It is recorded as ‘Romfort’ in 1177 which means the 'the wide ford'. The river ‘Rom’ is called that only for the middle stretch of the river and this is of course where the Roman road to Colchester from London crossed it.

Railway
The station was surrounded by sidings and goods areas.  This was partly to deal with the brewery traffic and also sidings to the east including cattle facilties. The lower goods line was reached by a difficult incline and wagons would be assembled before being taken through a tunnel onto the brewery premises.

Shaftesbury Road
The Manor Primary School. This was Albert Road School and moved here in 1979.

South Street
This was once called Hornchurch Lane. It was widened in the 1930s and took precedence over the High Street as the principal commercial street from that time.
1-3 Co-op bank site was the 'Three Crowns Inn', a 16th century building demolished in 1878. North side
10 Nat West frontage in polished black and grey granite.
64 Brannigans. This pub is in what was the post office. Built in 1913 by the Office of Works, in Beaux Arts style. With a ‘crassly rebuilt’ ground floor.
73 Page, Calnan & Co., former premises of timber merchants. Now a restaurant. Deco style, c. 1933 with mosaic work on the parapet. Locally listed
72-74 Bar Mango. This used to be the Global Café. On the corner of Arcade Place. Also called The Custom House pub
76 Lloyds TSB in red brick and Bath with stone lotus leaf columns, and acanthus leaf moulding
87-89 Yates Wine Lodge
95 Locally listed
97-101 Locally listed
99 The Moon and Stars. Wetherspoons pub opened in 1994.
103-111 Locally listed
105 Edwards Pub
108 Night Clubs Time and Envy were built as the Havana Cinema in 1936. It has a slick exterior with slots in the side of a slab tower by architects Leslie H. Kemp and F.E. Tasker and it was built for Victory Super Cinemas Ltd. And it became part of Eastern Cinemas Ltd. in 1937. It had a café and a Compton 3Manual/8Rank organ installed in 1936 January with Melotone variation + Diaphone. It was taken over by Odeon Theatres chain in 1943 and it re-named Odeon in 1949. It had three screens from 1974. It closed in 1990 and became a Lazerquest centre but was then closed apart from a dance studio in the old cafe. It opened as nightclubs in 1999
110 Locally listed
112-116 Kingsley Furniture, the former Times Furnishing Warehouse of 1936 in moderne style. the company’s logo, above the parapet. Locally listed
113 The World’s End which was once the Hogshead, Wetherspoons pub
131 The Life bar. This is in the old gas company showroom and offices built in 1937. Doorways with acanthus leaf decoration. For a while this pub was called Jumpin’ Jaks. Locally listed.
141 Trax Bar, next door to the Goose Pub. This was once a railway station, terminus of the line to Upminster, Grays and Tilbury, and opened in 1893, closing in 1932. After that Passengers had to use the booking office over the street and then cross by a footbridge to the platform.
143 The Goose pub. Previously this was Rising Sun and at another time the Moreland Arms
180 ABC Cinema. Built for ABC and designed by William R. Glen as the Ritz. It opened in 1938.It also staged live shows including the Beatles in the 1960s. It was re-named ABC in 1962 and became their first English cinema to have three screens. It was managed by Cannon for a period and eventually closed in 1999. There is now housing on the site.
230-268 Locally listed
270 The Old Oak. On the corner of Brentwood Road
222 Brickyard Bar and Grill
Barclays Bank on the site of Romford Hall which was also known as Stewards
Crossing between the former LMS and LNER stations - a Westwood Baillie boarded bridge with the broken remains of a cast iron lamppost. This lamppost was broken about four feet from the ground
Congregational Church demolished in 1970s. Carlisle Institute halls behind. Carlile was a quarrelsome previous minister
Gas showrooms. the original showrooms were next to the Havana cinema site but replace in 1937. The building is now a restaurant.
Universal Music Operations
Plaza Super Cinema. This opened in 1930 and was built for Victory Super Cinemas Ltd. It had a narrow street frontage and the auditorium was behind other buildings. Had a stage and dressing rooms. There was a Compton 2Manual/6Ranks theatre organ. It was renamed Plaza by Eastern Cinemas Ltd; in 1943, was taken over by Oscar Deutsch's Odeon Theatres Ltd and by Rank in 1948, who named it Gaumont. It closed in 1962 and the site is under the Liberty Shopping Centre mp- its entrance remains in Stewards Walk
Police Station relocated to Main Road in 1965
Capital Bus, Private bus garage. Here a worker went down into the pit when smoking and blew it up and two were killed
Quadrant Arcade 1935 an L-plan arcade linking South Street and Market Place behind the street frontages, with a ballroom on the upper floors. Cheap Art Deco in brick. A good horizontal roof light with curved mouldings survives inside. Typical of the low quality of frontages along the rest of the street. The dance hall was the Shannon and also opened onto the Market Place.
Romford Station. 1839. On the line between Gidea Park and Chadwell Heath on One Railway. It is also the terminus of One Railway from Emerson Park. Built by the Eastern Counties Railway. The Earliest station was a temporary one called ‘Barrack Lane’. A proper station was built later by Ashmole and the island platforms were on the site of present station. In 1840 the line was extended to Brentford and in 1860 it was rebuilt. In 1892 the London Tilbury and Southend Station for the line to Grays was built with a three storey building on the other side of South Street but it was then added to the ECR station. In 1931 it was rebuilt again when tracks were quadrupled to Gidea Park Line. Continued through the Manor of Stewards to the East-connecting tunnel to the brewery underneath. There were Girder bridges over the Rom into the brewery
Romford Canal - the never built terminus would have been in the vicinity of Romford Station.
Stewards Walk, with clock tower, is a mock-Victorian arcade of the 1980s following the line of the 1930s Romford Arcade.

Stewards Walk
Stewards was the name of the old Romford Hall, The estate went from South Street up to Balgores Lane and the Drill Corner in Gidea Park. It was owed by the Quarles family. Francis Quarles a poet lived there as a child. The house stood in a large park which became farmland. The house was a substantial building and from 1700 used as an Independent meeting house. It was demolished in 1717 and Romford Hall was built on the site. In 1839 The Eastern Counties Railway cut the estate in two and in 1851 the Manor was redeveloped as Western and Eastern Roads.
The entrance here to Liberty is the old entrance to the Gaumont Cinema. The canopy and clock were added in the 1990s

St Edward’s Way
Built in 1971 as Part of the Romford Ring Road,

Swan Walk
Commemorates the White Swan, pub which was in the Market Place

The Battis
A long passage way and footpath alongside the railway and through arches which at one time was the only way of getting between the hospital and the railway.

The Liberty
Liberty 1 Shopping Centre built 1871 on the site of Stewards House. There are over 100 shops and the Kings Head Inn, was moved here. This was a redevelopment of 1967-72 by Bernard Engle & Partners to create a precinct behind South Street and Market Place, along with the ring road. The planned open precinct has been enclosed as a curved mall beneath a glass roof supported on tree-like columns, which was done in 2002-3 by Chapman Taylor and Partners with Arup as structural engineers.
Odeon Cinema with eight screens opened in 1990 and closed in 2001.

Victoria Road
90 Royal Oak. This was on the corner with George Street and demolished when the ring road was built.
Old Mill Parade, Locally listed. A big interwar shopping parade of a type seen all over the suburbs. On the site of the Victoria Mills
Victoria steam flour mill opened in 1851, as part of the 17th post mill in South Street and known as the Star mill. The steam plant was needed because the railway embankment cut off the wind. It closed c.1928
Station Parade, Locally listed
The Victoria pub
92 Havering Learning Disability Society. Locally listed. This is in an old Primitive Methodist chapel. The church opened about 1873, and a permanent building erected in 1875. This was bombed but rebuilt in 1950, and closed in 1966.
165-167 Locally listed
169-171 Locally listed
LTSR Freight yard opened here in 1896.

Waterloo Road
1-15 The Brewery. Vue Cinema opened by Ster Century in 2001.talen over by Vue in 2005.

Western Road
United Reformed Church. 1965. Polygonal, red brick, spirelet lantern.
62-72 Locally listed

Wheatsheaf Road
The Wheatsheaf. Locally listed

Sources
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clifford Dance Studios.  Web site
Essex Journal
Evans. Romford
Evans. Romford Heritage
Evans. Romford. A History
Glazier.  London Bus garages
GLIAS Newsletter
Havering Learning Disability Society. Web site
Ind Coope.  My visit to Romford Brewery
James. Chemical Industry in Essex
London Borough of Havering. Web site
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Peaty. Brewery Railways
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex,
Romford and District Synagogue. Web site
Salvation Army. Web site
St.Edward the Confessor. Web site
The Manor Primary School. Web site
Trinity Methodist church. Web site
Victoria County History. Romford

Friday, 22 April 2011

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook - Romford

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook
The Brook continues to flow southwards towards the River Rom


Post to the west Romford
Post to the north Raphael Park
Post to the south Romford
Post to the east Gidea Park

Church Lane
Ice and Cold Storage. This building was at the western end where it once met North Street – demolished for the ring road in the 1960s.
St.Edward’s Parish Hall. Once used as part of the church school. Added to the church as part of extensions built in 1934
Roger Reede’s Almshouses. Moder
n block replacing an older block. Reede was a "Farmer and Cloth Merchant" who died in 1483.

Dolphin Approach
So called because it led to the Dolphin Leisure Centre, since demolished. The name Dolphin itself commemorates a pub which once stood in the market place.
Roman burials found in this area during the construction period.
Dolphin Centre opened 1982. It had a pyramid roof but the panels became distorted and loose. The cost of the centre rose and in 1995 it was closed and replaced by flats and a supermarket
ASDA. This is the bottom part of The Axis which is a block of flats including a 12 storey tower. with an ASDA supermarket beneath. It is on the site of the Dolphin Centre. It was was opened in 2006, by the Mayor of Havering and two-year-old Ellie May Challis. The architects were Goddard Manton.

Dorset Avenue
St. Peter’s School Roman Catholic Primary School. This was founded in 1856 in buildings alongside St Edward's Church in Park End Road and called St Edward's School. In 1968 the school moved to its current site and changed its name of St Peter's as the adjacent Church of England school was also St Edward's.

Havering Drive
St Edwards (C.E.) Schools. In 1710 this was the Hornchurch, Romford and Havering Charity School with a section for boys and another for girls. In 1728, they moved to a site in the Market Place and in 1835 became a National School through the Church of England. In 1926, a new building was opened nearby and original school became a public Library. In 1965 the Senior School moved to London Road and in 1976, the Primary School moved to Havering Drive. Commemorative Plaques are preserved and statues from the frontage of the original school and the school bell here. The current school is a series of flat-roofed classrooms, linked by lantern-roofed halls.

Lodge Farm Park
Lodge Farm Park. The site was acquired in 1927 as part of Thomas England's idea of a green route connecting Romford and Havering atte Bower. In 1918 Lodge Farm Estate’s owners, the Roger Reede's Charity, leased it to a dairy company. It was part of their ancient endowment and was called Neades or Staceys Farm. In 1927 they sold it to Romford UDC. Initially it was used as the Council tip, and local people petitioned against it. A scheme to develop the park was agreed in 1961 which two bowling greens, a pavilion, children's playground, and a depot. It was eventually opened in 1961.
The western boundary of the Park follows the line of Black's Brook, flowing from the lake in Raphael Park.
Black's Bridge. This was built over the brook in 1776 when the grounds of Gidea Hall, were landscaped. It is by James Wyatt in red brick with three stone arches with raised stone roundels. Alexander Black was one of the owners of Gidea Hall.
Watermill near the bridge in the 17th.
Black's Canal had been formed by damming the stream and also supplied water features to the formal gardens of Gidea Hall
Pump – on the highway for the use of horse drawn vehicles travelling on this main road.

Ludwigshafen Place
This the roundabout at the eastern end of the town built on the site of Laurie Square. It has pedestrian subwaysand It was built in 1970 and was named by Dr Werner Ludwig, Oberburgermeister of Ludwigshafen, Romford's twin town, in 1973. Laurie Town was a suburb built in the 1850s byJohn Laurie, a Scottish City businessman, who lived at Marshalls from 1840 - he was a magistrate, a sheriff and a Member of Parliament. He built Laurie Square with pairs of villas on the site of what was known as the Loam pond which was was filled in 1874 and replaced with a public garden.
Laurie Hall survived until 1970 and was used a a Literary Institute and public hall.
St Edwards Hall with tower
Drovers Arms was here until 1875 - A pub with a 'bad reputation'

Main Road
The road was maintained by the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust from 1721 but earlier the town had grown up round this main road. It was then known as the High Road.
Romford Baptist Church locally listed. This dates from the 1840s and technically the oldest church in Romford.
Police Station. Built in 1965 it houses the District Police Headquarters re-located from West Ham County Court
Magistrates court
Job centre
Windmill – In 1618 this was on the north side of the road, near the market and its mound survived into the 1920s.
Windmill, there was a post mill opposite Pettits Lane, on the south side of the road. Edward Collier, was the miller there 1829–60. It was demolished by 1871.
29 Jubilee House for all nations. Redeemed Christian Church of God Education Centre
33 Harefield Manor Hotel in locally listed Victorian building. Specialises in last minute weddings.
40 The Clinic, locally listed
37 Hill Court, locally listed. Mansion block of flats
Romford Town Hall. This was planned by the Urban District Council, and occupied by the Municipal Borough in 1935-7. It was built to designs by H. R Collins & A. F O. Geens in brown brick international moderne style. A refreshment hall and assembly hall was never built. Inside it is plain with small council chamber, arranged as a courtroom . There was a caretaker's flat on the top floor and a rates office on the ground floor. It was to have been the first stage of a civic centre and was extended in 1960 and 1988. Original corridors and staircases and some small offices survive.
Romford War Memorial, erected in Laurie Square in 1921 and moved to Coronation Gardens in 1969. In 1996 all the names of both civilians and members of the Forces who died in the Second World War were listed on the base of the monument.
Coronation Gardens. In 1844 it was designated as the site for a new church but this was eventually built elsewhere and this site became the burial ground. The chapel was demolished in 1953, and the area was renamed. The 19th gravestones were placed at the back. In pre-modern period springs from this area fed down through the market area flowing to the Rom.
Upward House. Flats at the corner of Junction Road replaced an arts and crafts house called Edfu which was used by local doctor Edward Upward.

Park End Road
St Edward the Confessor R.C.church .A group of church, former schools and presbytery. This was one of the first post-Reformation R.C. churches to be built in South Essex. It replaced a building of 1852 and is by Daniel Cubitt Nichols. . The main donor was the 12th Lord Petre. It is in ragstone with a timber turret over the nave. The East window has carved heads of St Edward and St Agnes. Inside are figures of St Edward the Confessor and St Agnes by donated by Agnes Clifford, sister of Lord Petre.
Schools of 1891 by George Sherrin, a secularized version of the church.
Presbytery built in Tudor style ragstone.
Flats by Anthony Delarue Associates with towers at the corners.

Maschiter Walk
William Machister was a local resident who gave the land for the construction of the Victoria hospital in the 1880s he lived at The Elms which was on the Main Road

Pettits Lane
Victoria Centre was the Victoria Hospital. The original buildings were built in 1888. The land was given by local philanthropist William Maschitter. The Victoria Cottage Hospital opened in Pettit's Lane in 1888 on a site donated by William Mashiter and was built in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The Hospital was enlarged in 1893, again paid for by William Maschiter and again in 1912. In 1939 a 3-storey building was added and in 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS but by 1982 it had only 32 beds. The wards closed in 1985, but the Out-Patients Department remained open until 1989. The site has become the Victoria Centre, housing various health care services.

Raphael Park
Raphael Park. Given to the town in 1889 by Sir.H.H. Raphael and opened 1904. It is on the site of the 18th landscaped gardens of Gidea Hall which was demolished in 1930. Sir John Eyles, Sub-Governor of the South Sea Co. had the lake built and the formal gardens of this period survive. The pond at the end of the park was drained and tennis courts laid out along its length with a playground in the circular basin. The straight channel was aligned with the axis of the house. Richard Benyon, the next owner, widened he lake and employed and James Wyatt to design the bridge. Thomas England, local councillor wanted this to be part of his green route between Romford and Havering atte Bower.

St. Edward’s Way
Ring road built 1969 on the site of Laurie Square
Central Library, By H. Conolly, Essex County Architect and originally standing in Laurie Square. Built in 1962-6 it has a concrete frame with stone panels. It has a serpentine walled cloakroom, faced in mosaic, with the Librarian's office above. The children's library projects out. When built it won a design award

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook - Raphael Park

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook
The Brook continues to flow southwards towards the River Rom

Post to the south Romford
Post to the north Rise Park


Bobs Lane
A site of local nature importance

Brook Road
A ‘Modern Homes’ exhibition in 1934 intended to sell more here and on Eastern Avenue. 35 houses were built in the two roads. These houses are smooth rendered in the fashion of the time.
1
Modern style house

3
Class D house by Leonard Thornton White

5 7 9
modern style houses

13
Class C House built 1934 by Geoffrey Ransome

15
Class C House by J.Moore Simpson

19

18 20 30 modern style houses

Eastern Avenue East
The road was built in 1936 and changed the aspirations of the 1911 exhibition and plans. A subsequent ‘Modern Homes’ exhibition in 1934 intended to sell more on Eastern Avenue. 35 houses were built here and in Brook Road. Gradually developers opted for ribbon development here and these houses are smooth rendered in the fashion of the time.
320 Built in 1934 by Holford, Stephenson and Yorke in rendered brick. Cost £386 to build
324 Built in 1934 by Holford, Stephenson and Yorke
332 334 336 338 340 343 344 346 348 350 all modern style houses as above.

Heaton Grange Road
Houses - Milford, Rosemary, Chelsworth, Rosemore, Brookside – are all in the conservation area. Houses in this road were designed for the 1911 competition.

Meadway
Houses in this road were designed for the 1911 competition.
1 Cottage by Herbert Welch who won 2nd prize in the £375 class
7 designed by Percy Houston who also won 1st prize for a cottage design at Letchworth Garden City

Parkway
Houses in this road were designed for the 1911 competition. Provides the boundary of the suburb with views over the park and its pond. These plots were reserved for the more expensive houses.
Central area of woodland is a covenanted open space and registered town green
10 plane tree outside it is said to be the largest London plane in Essex.
34 by Reginald Longden and this won 2nd prize in the £500 class of house.
38, 40, 44, 46-64 were all 1911 exhibition houses
42 designed by Fair & Myer inside the house has a beam ceiling and inglenook. This was a 1911 exhibition house
54 Georgian design of house by Geoffrey Lucas which took 1st prize in the £500 class of house

Pettits Lane
The road was called after a local estate owned by the Pettit family in the 13th.
Marshalls Park School. The school was opened in 1936 as Pettits Senior Council School. In the 1950s it became Pettits Secondary (Modern).In 1973 it was amalgamated with Romford County Technical School as Marshalls Park Comprehensive. In 1999 the two schools combined here. Marshalls was the name of a house which stood roughly in this area.
Marshalls was a house in Romford and estate which covered an area was bounded by Main Road, North Street, Pettits Lane, and Pettits Boulevard. The name dates to 1213 when Gilbert Marschal leased land here.

Pettits Lane North
Rise Park Parade. Modernist shops
Fire Station. Essex County Council 1960 with dramatic practice tower.

Raphael Park
Part of the parkland that surrounded Gidea Hall. Named after Sir Herbert Raphael, a Liberal MP, who presented it to the town in 1904. It is one of a series of parks which stretch northwards from the railway line at Romford to Havering atte Bower. Much of it is grassland with trees and shrubs but the western area is a nature conservation area and the western boundary of the park follows the line of Black's Brook. The brook is dammed at the junction with Main Road to form a shallow lake with two wooded islands.

Reed Pond Walk
Houses in this road were designed for the 1911 competition.
An overgrown central green and copse set aside as an open area and is now a registered village green,
23 designed by Clough Williams-Ellis although chimneystacks have been removed. Regency Revival
28 designed by Crickmer
29 at the bend in the road designed by Edwin Gunn for 'the typical suburban family with one servant’. The chimney is to one side to allow for a servant’s bedroom in the attic.
30 designed by Crickmer
31 designed in Old English style by Reginald Longden may have won 2nd prize in the £500 class of house
32 designed by Cecil A. Sharp this has a long range to the street and a thick chimneystack and Colour washed brick mixed
33 designed by Parker & Unwin with Voyseyesq features. Inside Moveable partitions allowed for the subdivision of the main room.
36 by M.H. Baillie Scott as a non-identical pair, linked by a low wall, to no 38. Has pargetting of grape vines and inside, fire grates with similar motifs 'modelled by Mr. Bankart'. This was shown as a furnished house for the exhibition with 'wall hangings and fabrics made by the Deutsche Werkstatten', cottage furniture by Heal's. In the front garden is the base of a small sundial, designed by Scott.
38 designed by M.H. Baillie Scott one as a non-identical pair, linked by a low wall, with 36.

Risebridge Road
Houses in this road were designed for the 1911 competition.

Romford garden suburb
Some houses in this area were part of the "Romford Garden Suburb" which was held in 1910/11 as an exhibition of town planning on the Gidea Hall and Balgores Estates. It was made up of 159 houses designed by more than 100 prominent architects. A competition was held for the best designs of houses costing £500 and £375. The project was promoted by a company founded by three Liberal MP's linked to Hampstead Gardens Suburb - Herbert Raphael, John Tudor Walters and Charles McCurdy. A later exhibition was held in the 1930s.

Monday, 18 April 2011

Black Brook - Rise Park

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook
Streams flow down from Havering atte Bower to form Blacks Brook which flows southwards towards the River Rom.


Post to the north Havering atte Bower
Post to the south Raphael Park



Chase Cross
The name probably indicates a wayside cross in the forest' or might refer to a local personal name. Until the 19th it was a cross roads of the major north/south and east/west routes through the area.

Havering Road
Bower Park School –
was previously called Chase Cross Secondary Modern School. The school was opened in 1949 and originally occupied the building intended for Gobions primary school. The boys department was built in 1950 and the girls in 1955. In the 1970s they were amalgamated, and in 1973 it became comprehensive. I was renamed Bower Park in 1989.

Rise Park
Thomas England, a local councillor, had a vision of a green corridor running from Romford to Havering-atte-Bower and in 1937, he donated 23.50 acres of Lodge Park Farm for the creation of Rise Park

Risebridge Chase
Risebridge as a name indicates a bridge or causeway over boggy ground and the name dates from the mid 13th.
Sunnyside Farm

Risebridge Golf Course Opened in 1972 on land once used by Risebridge Farm by the local council.

Thames Tributary – stream from Havering ate Bower

Thames Tributary – stream from Havering ate Bower
Springs in this area flow south to become Blacks Brook flowing south towards the River Rom.


Post to the south Rise Park


Bedfords Park
In the 15th this was noted as ‘Eries alias Bedfordes’ because part of the estate had been held in the 13th by Robert de Bedeford but before that by a J. Boris. The park has been in public ownership, since 1933, has 215 acres, a nature reserve managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust and a large lake for anglers. The site of the former Bedfords House .is in the eastern part of the park. The upper section was landscaped parkland, with exotic trees, a deer enclosure and its close-mown slopes. Springs seep from the top of the slope into a marshy area to the south. Dragon- and damselflies can be seen around the lake and ponds in summer

Bower Park
Named this because of the nearby royal palace

Bower Wood
Named this because of the nearby royal palace

Larch Wood

Orange Tree Hill
Orange Tree Pub. This is at the highest point in the London Borough of Havering. Until 1785 it was called ‘Olive Tree’.
Bower House.
The house is marked on the 1805 OS map and had been built in the 18th near the site of the 15th ‘Bowre’ -which means ‘royal residence’. However at first the house was called ‘Monthavering’ and then ‘Manor House’. It is set back in its own grounds with a splendid view. Stone used in the house came from the old palace. It was designed red brick in 1729 as the first commission by Henry Flitcroft for John Baynes, a lawyer.Originally it was quite small. It includes a medieval corbel - an angel bust bearing Edward III’s arms, presumably from the royal hunting lodge. There are staircase paintings by Thornhill of Arcadian scenes: shepherds and maidens. In the 20th it was owned and used until 2003 by Ford Motor Co.
Bower House stables built in 1729 by Henry Flitcroft at right angles to house. Similar materials. There is a modern bell-turret on the roof
Bower Farm Cottage
, a Tudor cottage orne built in the 1840s with spiky bargeboards and fish-scale tiles. The windows have leaded lights in elongated hexagons.
Blue Boar Hall
is a timber-framed house, from the 16th and 17th, refronted in the 19th. It was a pub in the 19th.

Saturday, 16 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Romford

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows south east and is joined by a tributary from the north east.


Post to the west Mawneys
Post to the east Romford
Post to the south New Romford


Brooklands Avenue
Remains of gateway
leading to housing on the site of Brooklands Stadium. This was the home of Romford football club 1929 - April 1977 and other sports clubs. There was a small stand and banking round the oval pitch. Later a stand called clockside terrace was built. It was later used for speedway but noise and debt meant it was eventually closed

Chesham Close
Trading estates
Coborn Engineering.
Machine tool company set up in Ilford in 1940s and moved here in the 1960s;

Eastern Avenue West
Built in 1925
Acorn Works
was the Metcalfe Bus Company factory which was a private bus works and garage in the 1930s.
Gosling Engine Works
was also there and was the Star Garage, for private buses in the 1930s.
Hubbinet Industrial Estate.

Hainault Road
Trading Estates

Marshalls Park
Area taking its name from a house called Marshalls. Only part of Romford not developed by the First World War. Estate bought by William Hunnable, Vice Chair of Romford UDC and he died in 1928.

Mawney Road
King George’s Playing Fields
, also called Mawney Park
The Marlborough Pub

St John the Divine.
Originally begun in 1897, when an iron mission church, was opened elsewhere in Romford. In time a building of Byzantine type design by V. Carde was begun here in 1927 and completed in 1932 in a simplified form by Herbert Passmore. It became a church for a new parish. It has a foundation stone all in Latin. A war memorial chapel was added in 1948, and the choir vestry in 1966-8. More work was done by Laurence King in 1979. It is a brick building with a tower only completed in 1980. It has at times had a tiny congregation and does not seem to have its own web site.

Medora Road
Trading Estates

North Street
Bus garage.
Opened in 1953. Huge and very impressive – with some Holden stylistic elements. Built on the site of some allotments. Designed by LT article Thomas Bilbow and originally could house 115 buses. There are also service and social buildings. Currently operated by a Stagecoach subsidiary company.
96-102
late 17th timber framed building.
The Squire pub
. This was originally the Parkside Hotel.

Thursday, 14 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Mawney

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows south eastwards

Wantz stream - ditches and springs in this area may feed into the Wantz Stream flowing south towards the Beam River

Post to the north Collier Row
Post to the east Romford
Post to the south Romford

Eastern Avenue West
Eastern Avenue was built in the 1920s as the A12 and as a bypass for the section of the Roman road to Colchester which went through Ilford and Romford

Marlborough Road
Imperial Bus Co. There were offices for this private bus company here in the, 1920s.
Wantz - a ditch running along the southern edge of this road might be a source of the Wantz stream.

Mawney Road
Mawney. Originally ‘Mawneys’, a manorial name from the family of Sir Walter de Mauny, distinguished soldier, who is mentioned in 14th-century records and who founded Charterhouse. This was an area for gypsies who made brushes and doormats. The land was sold off for housing in 1883 and laid out like a letter A.

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Collier Row

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows southwards

TQ 49631 90896

Suburban area north of Romford

Post to the north Collier Row
Post to the south Mawney Road

Collier Row Road.
This was once a hamlet named from charcoal burners, which grew into a suburb between the wars. Charcoal burners were here in the 15th and 16th in the area of Gobions. This was one of the entry points to Hainault Forest – there were gates here, and the boundary marked with hedges and rows of stones.
Gobions Farm.
This has a barn and farmhouse and runs a farm shop
Maypole Cottage
. Late 17th or 18th timber framed house.
White Hart Pub
. For a while this was called ‘Double Top’ but was demolished in 2006

Lowshoe Lane
Corpus Christi Roman Catholic church
designed by W.C. Mangan, 1964-5. It is very plain in Buff brick
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic junior and infants’ school
. 1953

White Hart Lane
Crownfield Junior and Infant School
.

Sources
Corpus Christi church. Web site
Crownfield School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Pub History. Web site
St. Patrick's School. Web site
Victoria County History. Essex

Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Collier Row

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows southwards
TQ 49768 91120

Suburban area built up as part of the early 20th expansion of Romford

Post to the north Havering Park
Post to the south Collier Row

Clockhouse Lane
Clockhouse Primary.
Weather boarded which is unusual for an Essex County Council building. The school was opened 1936 and later enlarged.
North Romford Community Centre
.
Colliers Row Children’s Centre

Hampden House.
This was a big house in the area which was home to a series of 19th businessmen including T.F.Nash who bought land here after Eastern Avenue was built – and subsequently built many local houses.

Collier Row Lane
Tesco on the site of 316 Rex Art Deco Cinema designed by Eric Norman Bailey. It opened in 1939 and operated as an independent putting on a combination of variety shows and films. Closed in 1959.

Collier Row Road
Colliers Row – means an area of houses of charcoal burners. Shops and a cinema were built after the Second World War.
54-56 Colley Row Inn.
Wetherspoons pub
Ascension Church
. Designed in 1884 by Ernest C. Lee and intended as a humble mission church built for a largely agricultural area. It is in red brick and was the parish church from 1928
Library

Colliers Row Recreation ground
–through which the River Rom flows
Colliers Row Gospel Hall

Lodge Lane
Forest Lodge School
was originally North Romford Comprehensive School and the first comprehensive school in Essex. Opened 1959. Now demolished for housing.
The Lodge
. Care home.

Sources
Ascension Church. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clockhouse School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History. Essex
Wetherspoons. Web site

Monday, 11 April 2011

Thames Tributary River Rom - Havering Park

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows southwards


Post to the north Havering Park
Post to the south Colliers Row

Foxberry Wood South

Lodge Lane
Lower Park Farm. This was “Little Lodge” in the early 17th and later Havering Farm. It was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th and some outbuildings from the 1860s survive.

Willoughby’s Hill. This is associated with the name of a mediaeval family.

Thistledene Avenue
Pinewood Primary School. Opened 1967.

Thames Tributary River Rom -Bournebridge Lane

Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom flows south west and is joined by the Spurgate Brook from the west

TQ 49895 94532

Countryside area with scattered farms

Post to the west Lambourne End
Post to the north Stapleford Abbotts
Post to the east Bournebridge
Post to the south Havering Park

Bournebridge Lane
Crown Park Farm
Bournebridge Farm
Knolls Hill Farm. This is on the site of a mansion demolished in the 19th. At the end of the 14th century it was owned by Henry Despenser, Bishop of Norwich but had passed into secular ownership by the 16th. In 1606 it was the centre of an estate of nearly 300 acres. In the mid-18th it was a country house owned by Sir John Fortescue-Aland and standing on part of the present farm-yard. By 1835 it had become a farm-house and the house later demolished, cottages being built with the bricks. Traces of the terraced gardens are extant and there is said to be the bricked up entrance to a tunnel that went to Blackbush Farm.

Lords Walk

Sources
Victoria County History Essex

Thames Tributary Spurgate Brook Lambourne

Thames Tributary Spurgate Brook
The Brook flows eastwards towards the River Rom


Post to the north Lambourne
Post to the west Lambourne End
Post to the south Hainault Forest
Post to the east Bournbridge Lane




Bournebridge Road
Blue House Farm. 17th house, Timber framed, plastered, and with handmade red clay roof tiles.

Cavill’s Walk
Plaque to say it was named after James Cavill who was a 19th wheelwright who lived at Abridge Cottage

Featherbed Lane
The lane has a population of 40 veteran trees making it a good area for bats and has hedgerows to the east and west which is good for ground dwelling mammals. The northern part has a population of maple, elm, blackthorn and bramble. The south has holly and hawthorn, coppiced hornbeam, pollarded oak and ash. Some trees are very old –for instance an ash estimated at 350 years, or a Hornbeam 300 years old
Crabtree Hill. One of the highest points in the Hainault forest on the Bagshot Beds this is 80m

Hainault Forest
Lambourne Well. Pond and a source of the Rom
Three Cornered Plain
Spurgate Plain
Spurgate Brook was the boundary for the palace deer park. There are veteran trees along it. It is one of the sources for the River Rom
Playing Fields

Manor Road
Manor Road was built in 1790 at the expense of Admiral Sir Edward Hughes
Woodland Camp. Christian camping centre
Lambourne Centre. This was Young’s Farm which was used in the 1930s by the Mansfield Centre in Forest Gate for boys camping at weekends. The farm became a centre for such activity and was sold to the Lady Trower Trust who remodelled it including more sporting activity. By the 1980s it was entirely used by the Mansfield Centre and they added overnight accommodation and eventually environmental activities. It has since had input from the YMCA.
Church House. 1671
Forest Lodge.
Isabella Cottages
Tuttleby Cottages

Tinorth Lodge – pump in the garden

Sunday, 10 April 2011

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Bournebrook bridge

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook
The Bourne Brook continues to flow south west, becoming the River Rom


This is a village area with modern houses and older farms

Post to the west Bournbridge
Post to the north Stapleford Road
Post to the east Tysea Hill
Post to the south Wellingtonia Avenue

Bournebridge Lane
Bourne Bridge

Knolls Hill Free School. Built 1734 and now converted to a house. Built of red and blue brick. Above the door is written 'Glory to God. Knolls Hill Free School for teaching poor children to read and write, erected and endowed at the sole expence of the Honourable Sir John Fortescue (etc) 1734'.In use as a school until the 20th.
Butchers Farm. 18th red brick house.
Greenacres Farm

Oak Hill Road
Maybrand Farm Fishery
Twinoaks Farm
Straights Plantation Stapleford Road
Pinchback Bridge
Brook Farm.
Industrial and trading area.
Stapleford Farm

Sources
Victoria County History Essex

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Stapleford Road

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook
The brook continues to flow south west towards the River Rom


Post to the west Stapleford Abbotts
Post to the north Albyns
Post to the east Tysea Hill
Post to the south Bournbrook Bridge

Gutteridge Lane
The lane was named after PC George Gutteridge and there is also a memorial to him. He was murdered here in 1927 and the crime was one of the first to be solved using ballistic evidence.
Stapleford Hall Farm. Owned by the Crown. The farm-house is a late 17th/early 18th century timber framed and roughcast buildings
Mitchell’s Farm. 17th house destroyed by fire.

Stapleford Road
Stapleford Abbotts Village Hall
Stapleford Abbotts Primary School. This was built in 1877, and originally included a house for the Head Teacher. Later it also housed a branch of the County Library.
Grove House
High House Farm
Woodlands Farm

Saturday, 9 April 2011

Thames tributary Bourne Brook - Tysea Hill

Thames tributary Bourne Brook
The Bourne Brook continues to flow south west towards the River Rom


Post to the west Stapleford Abbotts
Post to the north Curtis Mill Green
Post to the east Watton's Green
Post to the south Tysea
Curtis Mill Lane
Martin’s Hern Farm. This was once the site of a hamlet.
Brookside Farm

Murthering Lane
Tyseahill Farm
Olive’s Farm
High Willows Farm
Stocks Farm
The Paddocks
. On a previously industrial site

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Curtismill Green

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook
The Brook flows south west towards the River Rom.

TQ 51255 96895

Surprisingly interesting bit of Essex countryside north of Romford with a green area and a woodland theatre

Post to the west Albyns
Post to the north Suttons Manor
Post to the east Murthering Lane
Post to the south Tysea Hill

Albyns Lane
Grafton Farm 40 Acre farm

Curtismill Green
There may have been a mill in this area – maybe a water mill on the Roding or on the Bourne Brook. It may have been owned by a Geoffrey Curtis in the 13th.
Green Farm and Cottages
Willow Cottage. 17th cottage with theatre in an amphitheatre in an abandoned marl pit.
Richard stone. The eastern boundary of Hainault Forest was marked by a series of stones. This is the most northerly of the stones. It is in a corner of the common at Curtismill Green. Close to the M25
Navestock stone. This boundary stone is south of Richard’s stone and in a small field on private land

Curtis Mill Lane

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Murthering Lane

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook
The Brook flows north and then loops westwards towards the River Rom


Post to the west Curtismill Green
Post to the south Watton's Green
Post to the south Pyrgo
Post to the east Navestock

M25

Murthering Lane
Brook Farm House. Built 1600 as Timber-framed and weatherboarded with peg-tiled roof. The plan of the house is more like those found in New England US with a winding stair case from ground floor to attic at the front
Brook Farm fishery Brook Farm Bungalow
Horseman’s Lodge

Friday, 8 April 2011

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Watton's Green

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook
The Brook rises in woodland and flows north east on its way to become the River Rom


Post to the west Tysea Hill
Post to the north Murthering Lane
Post to the east Navestock Common
Post to the south Pyrgo Wood


Curtis Mill Lane

2 Curtis Mill Cottage. 16th, 17th and 20th Timber-framed and weather boarded house. A break in the roof line is for the two 2 bays of a medieval building

Horsemanside
Dycotts Moat. This is a modern farm on a medieval moated site. One outbuilding with 16th timbers
Watton’s Green. Long narrow strip of remaining common. Site with local nature interest.
Stapleford Abbotts Golf Course.

Muthering Lane
Spring Farm
Jenkins Farm. Early 19th on a 17th core. Timber-framed, rendered and weather boarded,
Willow Tree Cottage
Little Bumpkyns.1600 house with exposed timber-framing and peg-tiled roof.

Navestock Common
This area is the furthest south west part of this once extensive commons area.

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Rainham Marshes

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne reaches the Thames and flows into it as Rainham Creek

Post to the north Rainham marsh
Post to the south Wennington Marshes
Post to the west Jenningtree

Coldharbour
Easter Industrial Estate
Albright Industrial Estate


Ferry Lane
Rainham Ferry
– this went from the riverside area where there was once a community. There were enough people there for the pub to be used as a church in the 1850s. The ferry may have dated from the Romans – since roman artefacts have been found at the creek mouth and in the middle ages it had a relationship with Lesnes Abbey. There are records of the ferry and an associated pub from the mid 16th and the inn was then called The Ferry House. The Long Ferry from Gravesend used it as a stopping place and later Steamers used to call there going to Margate. The short ferry went over to Erith.
Back Way. This was the small hamlet which grew up in at the mouth of the Creek around the Three Crowns in the early 20th century as the area industrialised. The settlement was also called The Ferry, or Rainham Ferry.
Little Wonder – general store which stood near the Three Crowns
Three Crowns. Was called the French Horn and then Three Crowns in 1772 but pub on this site for a very long time. It had originally been called The Ferry House and was bought by Edward Ind of Inde Coope, Romford Brewery in 1814, and although it went to other brewers it was back by them by 18676l the final building dated from the 1830s. Began as a shelter. Burnt down in a fire in 1839. Bare knuckle fights. Used as the ferry house –Princess Alice victims laid out there. In the early 20th day-trippers were encouraged but it soon came only to be used by factory workers. Pub closed 1951 and became absorbed into the Murex site as offices.
Atlas Chemical Works, owned by the Rainham Aniline Co., This was founded by WC.Barnes who had owned the Phoenix Works at Hackney Wick. He was a partner in a takeover of Perkin’s Greenford dye works and following its sale opened this works.
Borrell & Hagan
. Artificial manure works. Basically this was a skutch works – rotting down organic material. It was described as offensive when inspected by Ballard in the 1870s,
Copper refinery
Hempleman
– with a 185 ft chimney stack in 1908. Manufacture of blood- and fish-manure manufacturers 1882–1917
J. C. and J. Field Ltd., candle and soap manufacturers 1906–c. 1937. The company had been founded in Lambeth in 1768. On the First World War they made explosives there with a serious explosion in 1916. The company was closed down inthe1970s.
Miller and Johnson, manure works, first industry in the area. Sulphuric acid & artificial manure. Established in 1872.
Murex Metals.
Ironworks founded in the 1909 by A.Green to make metal containers and moved here in 1918. They originally used the last wooden building and the pub on the riverside as offices and had a long river frontage. They were long-standing producers of vanadium and tungsten powder. They had the World’s largest aryl phosphate plasticiser plant. From 1928 they bought out the other companies on the water-front, and in 1970, after further land-purchases, most of the area. They were subsequently taken over British Oxygen Co.
White Barge builder 1919-

Frog Island
Phoenix Wharf. Mulberry Pier is that constructed for the allied landings and connected by a Bailey bridge. Two PLUTO shed shelter. Used by Phoenix Timber Group

Riverside
Forest - The yew is notoriously intolerant of water and cannot live in salt - yet the forest reached across the whole marsh - the trunks of such trees have been discovered on either side of the river bank at sea level.
Pieces of a Romano-British food pot confirm the antiquity of the Ferry site.
River wall. There is the possibility that the Romans built the first river wall along the Thames.
The Diver: Regeneration a sculpture by John Kaufman and is the only one standing in the River. It is made of galvanised steel bands on a steel frame and is 15 feet) tall. It is partly-submerged every high tide
Mural near the Tilda Depot of the history of Rainham done by a local disabled group.
Concrete barges During the Second World War, steel was in short supply. And barges were made of reinforced concrete. They were towed across the channel to create artificial harbours for the Normandy landings on D-Day. They formed part of a Mulberry harbour. Then in 1953 they were used to shore up the flood defences

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Rainham Marsh

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The river, as Rainham Creek continues to flow south west


Post to the north Rainham Marsh
Post to the south Rainham riverside
Post to the west Hornchurch Marshes


Coldharbour Lane
Harbour House
– office block with many businesses. Possibly built as a hotel.
Freightmaster Estate
Tilda Rice depot

Creek Way
Until recently this was Manor Way.
Winds along the creek side going to a major waste disposal plant.

Ferry Lane
Rainham Marshes. Marshland of importance to birdlife because wetland habitat. The Sea walls were unreliable until the late 17th. However in 1953, it was breached with major flooding affecting. The area is criss- crossed by dykes and, the tussocky appearance is down to the cattle. Flocks of birds as large as 4,000 teal have been recorded but there are many others - . Pintails gadwalls shovelers, lapwings, redshanks, stonechats, winchats and yellow hammers. Insects and reptiles also abound and there are many marshland plants.
Gateway Business Park 2003
Rifle ranges. This area had been pasture until 1906 when the War Office bought 400 acres which were used as rifle ranges. .Six targets and a 600 yard firing point though only on one target. By 1977 they were little use to the MoD and some was sold to the local authority for commercial development.
Silt Lagoons. Built in the 1960s by the PLA to dump dredgings from the Thames.
Thermit. Ltd. established in London in 1904 by the Goldschmidt Company and in 1958 Thermit Welding (GB) Ltd was formed by Murex Ltd and Elektro-Thermit GmbH, based. In 2000, the company reverted to full ownership by the Goldschmidt Thermit Group for the Thermit Welding processes. The company is a strategic supplier to the Railways

Salomans Road
Salamon & Co. here 1880-1971; to refine tar, but by the 1970s crude tar was no longer available

Thames Gateway Road