Sunday, 11 September 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Aldersbrook

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east towards the Thames. It is joined by the Cranbrook from the north west
The Aldersbrook flows parallel to the Roding on its west side
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford runs north eastwards from Manor Park Station and onwards.
The boundary between Ilford and East Ham follows the Aldersbrook west of the Roding. This suggests that it may originally have been part of the main stream.

Aldersbrook  The name means 'brook where alders grow". An earlier name for the farm here was ‘Naked hall.  The area is dominated by the large cemetery owned by the City Corporation which lies west of the Roding, and the North Circular and north of the Great Eastern Railway

Post to the north CranbrookPost to the south Little Ilford
Post to the east Great Ilford


Aldersbrook Road
City of London Cemetery. Founded by Corporation of London and laid out in 1853 by William Haywood, surveyor to the Commissioners of Sewers. There are straight tree-lined roads with tombs and there is a relaxed winding route round the edge. The chapels include one in ragstone, one in French Gothic and a more sober octagonal Nonconformist chapel. There is an arcaded crescent of catacombs, partly converted to columbaria with etched-glass entrance doors.
Crematorium of 1971 –this has patterned-concrete screen walls, and a flat roof.
Crematorium of 1903 by D.J. Ross and the second to be built in London, its chimney is disguised as a tower.
Gothic tower for remains reinterred from St Andrew and St Sepulchre designed in 1871 by Haywood.
Monument from St Olave Jewry and St Martin by Pomeroy fro 1889

Ilford Golf course

North Circular Road

Railway
Flyover to the west of the station at Aldersbrook is to allow the fast tracks to change to the north of the suburban tracks.  It was built for 1940 but opening was delayed by the Second World War until *1947.

Roding
Tidal influence felt as high as this point.

Sources
Corporation of the City of London. Web site
Newham Walks,
Nature Conservarion in Barking and  Dagenham .,


Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Valentines

Thames Tributary Cranbrook

The Cranbrook flows south west through Valentine’s Park

Post to the west Cranbrook
Post to the east Seven Kings
Post to the south Great Ilford

Bethell Avenue
A scheme of seventy houses by H. C. Lander for the Town Planning and Garden Co. c. 1910, with larger than average individual dwellings
Bethell, like Holcombe was a tar manufacturer – and for a while they used the same site in Greenwich

Cranbrook Road
Was called Cranbrook Lane and ran from the village north, past Valentines to Woodford.
245-247 Wycliffe House. Offices in church building which was for a while Ilford Playhouse. Built in 1907, by P W Dixon of Manchester in Art Nouveau Gothic with Red brick and yellow terracotta. It was originally called Christ Church Congregational, Church which had opened in an iron building in 1895. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational church, Stepney, which had opened in 1642 and in 1907 the united congregation built the current church. Later in the 1960s the Council took a seven year lease on it calling it The Cranbrook Theatre, used exclusively by amateurs. When the Kenneth More Theatre opened The Renegades Theatre Company negotiated a lease and renamed the Ilford Playhouse. They left in 1984.
Telephone exchange. Site of an 18th school – Ilford House. Academy 1824. The exchange is a large building on a very prominent site.
Rossmore hotel
Britannia Works - Ilford Ltd., The firm of Ilford Ltd., photographic materials, was founded in 1879 by Alfred H. Harman, a photographer of Peckham who was experimenting with the production of the gelatino-bromide 'dry' plates. He went to Ilford to manufacture these plates because it was then a small country town with clean air. 'Langsett', a house in Cranbrook Road, on the corner with Park Avenue.  This was renamed 'Britannia Works', and there Harman and his wife began to produce the Britannia (later Ilford) Plate. Later he rented cottages on the Clyde estate, where the Ilford Plate factory and head office were later located, and there the plates were coated and packed, the emulsion still being prepared with great secrecy at the Britannia Works.

Holcombe Road
Holcombe was the family name of residents in Valentines House. They had factories in New Cross, Greenwich and elsewhere.

Park Avenue
St Clement, built 1889p 1896 on land given by Mrs. Clement Ingleby of Valentines by the Cutts Brothers.. In 1902 it became the principal parish church in Ilford. It was a large red-brick building. Demolished 1977 and flats were built on the site.
Kings Church. The former church hall of St. Clements by C.J. Dawson, 1907. Built as Cecil Hall and vaguely Arts and Crafts.
Banks Hotel
Park School for Girls. Private school

Valentines Park
Valentines Estate. This large estate was built up in the 18th around two tenements, and named after local family. One tenement included a house on the site of the present mansion. The other was larger and included Valentines, later Middlefield, Farm. In 1797 the estate was split up and Valentines House and land, was sold and in 1838 was owned by Charles Holcombe succeeded by his niece Sarah, wife of Clement Ingleby. She sold it to Ilford U.D.C. as a public park in 1899. Her son, Holcombe Ingleby, gave the council the American Gardens and in 1907 the council bought the rest of including the house.
Valentines Park. Opened in 1899 as Central Park by Ilford Borough. Victorian Informal tree planting remains floes to the house. The public park itself retains a late Victorian municipal character designed by Herbert Shaw, Borough Surveyor, including turning an existing lake into a boating pond, fed by the Cranbrook.
Valentines House. There was an earlier house here and the present house is thought to date from 1696-7 built by Elizabeth Tillotson, widow of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Subsequent owners made changes. It was originally built in yellow stock brick and in the 19th the side of the house probably became the entrance and a semicircular porch was built and a herringbone pattern brick floor laid. There are rainwater heads dated 1796. There have been many changes and interpretation is difficult. After 1907 it was used for various clubs, and, during the First World War housed Belgian refugees. From 1925 it was the Council's public health offices. The exterior was restored by Griffiths Architects in 2002 and there has been more restoration work since.
Walled garden. This is a small, walled flower garden, quartered by box arched openings at each corner.
Clock Tower - octagonal, donated by W.P. Griggs, the developer of Cranbrook Hall and the clock came from his stables. There were also once two rustic shelters
Boathouse and Bandstand: this is an open octagonal platform with iron railings. Identical railings surrounded the 1959 refreshment pavilion and they have a Festival of Britain feel.
Drinking Fountain of polished granite.
Lido. Opened 1924 built in an old gravel pit and designed by H Shaw. It closed in 1994 and was demolished in 1995
Ilford cricket club
Vine. In an 18th hothouse. A cutting from this vine went to the one at Hampton Court. The house was noted for its huge and prolific Black Hamburgh vine, planted by Charles Raymond in 1758. The former position of this is noted by a tablet.
Gate Piers. Early c18 at the entrance to the park.
Sundial in the forecourt.
Canal – this is fed from by a reservoir which once poured its water through a scenic cascade of arches, all in brick and rockwork. A second cascade feeds the canal at its end into an ornamental lake in the informal parkland.
Grotto. On the side of the canal is a grotto with Gothic gables over each bay. The central recess is skewed to appear correct when seen from the avenue, on the other side of the canal. ,
Grotto shelter.
Dovecote. Two-storey octagonal in stock brick
Bishop's Walk. The walk may have been named from early 18th Thomas Ken Bishop of Bath and Wells, who stayed here

The Drive

5 hone of developer Key

7 home of developer Griggs

9 home of Rev Charles Vine, long-time minister of the Ilford Congregational Church at which Griggs worshipped

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Cranbrook
The Cranbrook flows south westwards to the Roding

The Great Eastern Railway runs north eastwards from Liverpool Street to Shenfield, from Ilford Station

Post to the north Newbury Park
Post to the west Valentines
Post to the east Seven Kings
Post to the south Ilford


Aden Road
A street name taken from a British Empire source – as indeed are the group of surrounding streets.

Balfour Road
Balfour Road Mosque.
This is in a Victorian House with a l
arge new extension at the rear.

Benton Road
Bridge over the line of the railway which once ran from Newbury Park to Ilford Stations.
St Aiden’s RC Primary School. It was opened as a Primary School in 1965 and there have been additions including a nursery and the Lindisfarne building in 2005 – an ‘eco friendly’ building with a hall and classrooms. The building was originally the Benton County School for delicate and physically handicapped children opened in 1929

Christchurch Road
Christchurch Primary School. In an enormous board school building, plus a nursery school. Christchurch board school was opened in 1900 and re-organised for juniors and infants in the 1930s

Cranley Road
The Christian Centre

Ilford Park Estate
The area covered by many of the roads was built by the Liberator Building Society

Jaffe Road
Seems to be on the site of the Plessey works/ rail carriage sheds.

Ley Street
Medieval road. In the 18th this was the principal road running north from Ilford village continued as Horns Road. In the 1860's there were market gardens in Ley Street
Ilford Laundry. One of the earliest industries in the area. Washing was hung out to dry in surrounding fields.
Seven Kings High School. A mixed comprehensive and a specialist school in science and technology and a language college. It is on the site of Beal Grammar School for Girls. A school opened here as selective Central School in 1931. In 1948 it was changed to a grammar school with separate boys’ and girls’ schools, and later the boys moved elsewhere.
Ley Street Centre - community centre run by London City Mission
308 The Bell Inn, impressive looking 19th pub
Fire Station opened in 1905 as a new central fire-station where motor fire-engines were introduced in 1914. By 1935 the fire-brigade consisted of 26 men, all full-time. Closed and demolished.
Ley Street House. Redbridge Social Services Department offices on the site of the Borough Electricity Works.
Electricity Works built by Ilford Council to power the trams. In 1898 Ilford U.D.C. got powers to supply electricity and the station was opened in 1901. The initial cost of the scheme was £64,867.97 The prime mover in it was Councillor Benjamin Bailey, chairman of the Lighting Committee, whose activities included public lectures on the benefits of electric light.
However bulk supplies were obtained from West Ham and later Barking from the 1920s.
Tram and trolley bus depot on the corner of Perth Road. Services opened in 1903 but were eventually taken over by trolley buses which ended in 1959, having begun as a horse depot in the 1880s. On it is a terracotta sigh that once said Ilford Corporation Tramways, but now just says 'Ilford'.
Plessey’s first site was on the corner of Vicarage Lane opened in 1924 and by 1935 had 3,000 workers. In the Second World War they did government work here although the site was bombed. By 1955 they had 15,000 workers making radio parts, pumps, actuators, press tools, post office equipment, and scientific instruments. There is now housing on the site.

Mafeking Road
The railway once ran down the road on the west side behind the houses

Melbourne Road
Redbridge Teachers Centre in buildings which the local school board opened in 1901 as the Park Higher Grade School, with advanced academic courses. It became the Ilford County High School in 1904 until 1929 when it became the Dane Secondary Modern School

Perth Road
Council Depot
St. Margaret of Antioch, which built as a chapel-of-ease to St. Clement's in 1914. It is red brick

Railway
In 1903 because of the growth of Ilford the Great Eastern Railway built the Fairlop Loop from Seven Kings up the line to Ongar but this was closed when in 1947 the section of line up to Newbury Park was closed and the line to Ongar became the Central Line
Seven Kings West Junction Signal Box controlled the junction of the line to Ongar. It was closed in 1949 to be replaced by Ilford Car Sheds Signal Box.

Quebec Road
The Cranbrook flows between this road and Wilton Crescent and into Valentine’s Park

Vicarage Lane
Housing on the line of the old railway between Newbury Park and Ilford.
Railway bridge.

Wards Road
Railway bridge on the line of the old railway between Newbury Park and Ilford.

Wilton Crescent
The Cranbrook flows between this road and Quebec Road and into Valentine’s Park

Sources
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Day. London Underground
East London Old and New
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site.
Seven Kings School. Web site
St.Aiden's School. Web site
Valentines Park. Web site
Victoria County History. Essex

Friday, 9 September 2011

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Newbury Park

Thames Tributary Cranbrook
The Cranbrook flows south west towards the Roding in a partly culverted course between houses.

Post to the north Barkingside
Post to the south Seven Kings

Abbey Road
53 Viridian Care Home. As Hearth and Home Limited, founded by Joan Bartlett, opened their first home in 1945 for people bombed out in the Blitz .Its name changed to Servite Houses in 1974. Since then he organisation has grown and in 2010 became Viridian Housing.
Ilford Emergency Hospital was opened in 1912 with twenty beds. In 1915, it became an approved military hospital affiliated with Colchester Military Hospital. When the Becontree estate was built the LCC thought that authorities other than them should provide hospitals and the only health facilities for acute care were here. In 1926 the War Memorial Children's Wing was added and resident House Officers were appointed sit her was a doctor on the premises. There were continuing attempts to fund raise and to extend the hospital. By 1929 money had been raised locally and A new hospital was built on the site and incorporated by royal charter as the King George V Hospital. It opened in 1930 and fronted Eastern Avenue

Birkbeck Road
Part of Birkbeck Estate along with surrounding roads. This was essentially a plotland development where intending residents, who were shareholders in the Birkbeck Building Society, built their own homes on an estate laid out on a grid pattern in an isolated area with no facilities or transport laid on. The land had been bought from Perryman’s farm and the scheme set up by Francis Ravenscroft in 1851 and named after Dr.George Birkbeck. There has been considerable infilling since.
Salvation Army Hall, Newbury Park. Now closed and gone.

Buntingbridge Road
In the 15th the northern part of the Cranbrook was sometimes called ‘Buntons Brook,' a name associated with a local family and a farm. It was later used for ‘Bunters’ or ‘Bunting Bridge’ at then point at which the stream crossed Horns Road
Mill ponds in the area north of here in the 17th possibly to serve a tannery.
Redbridge Diabetes Centre

Donington Avenue
St Laurence Church. Built in 1939 and designed by N.F.Cachemaille-Day and built of light-brown brick. It was built following the establishment of an iron church a few streets away in the early 20th.

Eastern Avenue East
A12 Arterial road built in the 1920s to bypass Ilford and the old Roman road into Essex. It was built on the line of a road called Hatch Lane.
Green Gate at the crossroads – pub where Bill Haley played and where many other music events took place. It dated from the 1860s and closed in the 1980s and now it is a MacDonalds
King George V Hospital opened 1930. The hospital was a rebuild and extension of Ilford Emergency Hospital based in Abbey Road. It was built with the support of King George and opened by him in 1931. Wards and other facilities were built some opened by the benefactors who had funded them, other funding came from the local authorities. It was planed to enlarge to several hundred beds but the Second World War intervened. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS with 228 beds. In 1952 a new Out-Patients Department opened but by the mid 1950s the hospital was overcrowded and its Casualty Department, which received all casualties from the Southend By-Pass was inadequate. It was however gradually upgraded. In 1992 the Hospital had 197 beds and was under the administration of the Redbridge Health Care Trust. It closed in 1993 and was demolished in 2001. The site is now occupied by a Bellway housing development
Memorial Gardens and Memorial Hall. The park is a grassed area with lime trees and wild flowers. The site was chosen because it adjoined the planned children’s ward for the hospital and the hall was planned as the entrance to it – which never actually happened. It is an octagonal building by C.J. Dawson, Son, and Allardyce. It has a glass dome and includes memorial panels recording the names of Ilford men killed in the Great War. It was opened in 1927 and restored in 2003 by Bellway Homes as part of a planning agreement. At the front of the park is the First World War Memorial in stone with a Celtic cross set on a plinth. In front, a bronze infantryman in battledress, by N.A. Trent, who stands at attention above the names of the dead.
Newbury Park Station. Opened in 1903 it now stands Between Gants Hill and Barkingside on the Central Line. It was originally built by the Great Eastern Railway on its Ilford/Hainault/Woodford loop and was in a cutting with the booking office on the road bridge. During the First World War it was used for military ambulance trains which took the wounded to Ilford Hospital. In the 1930s it was part of London Transport’s New Works scheme and a transport interchange was planned here, but it never developed although in 1939 a new ticket hall was built together with a bridge between the old and new stations. The Second World War halted work and it was not until 1947 that it became part of the Central Line extension when the tracks of the new tube line which surfaces here from Leytonstone via Gants Hill joined the old Great Eastern line south of the station and a year later the extension onwards to Hainault was opened. In 1956 the original Great Eastern street level buildings were demolished in order to build a road bridge carrying Eastern Avenue however some remains of the Great Eastern Company remains at platform level with their logo in the supporting brackets.
Rail Line to Ilford. The Great Eastern Line to Ilford had run on surface tracks on what is now the southern side of Eastern Avenue. These were cut in 1947 but the northern section of the line remained and was used as a siding allowing freight trains to reverse and was kept for the length of a freight train. Freight from Temple Mills Yard ran onto this piece of line and then reversed into the old goods yard. This traffic stopped in 1965 but it was then used by Underground engineering trains until 1992
Rail line north of the station - London Underground rearranged the old Great Eastern tracks to turn the eastern tracks in to reversing siding and this went on to Barkingside. This would appear to now be an approach road to the Barkingside Sainsburys called King George Avenue. The through trains ran on an alignment once part of sidings and goods yard on the west of the great eastern station.
The sidings ceased in use to be replaced by Hainault depot in 1948,
Goods yard. This remained and was served by the old Ilford line south of the station and ended in the early 1960s.
Cottages for the staff were built by the Great Eastern Company next to the station in a semi detached garden city style plus a posher house for the Station Master– this was detached villa a pillared porch and large garden. They were replaced by the bus station.
Newbury Park Bus Station. This was built in on the site of the railway cottages, at the time of the changeover of the station to the Central Line in 1947. It was designed by Oliver Hill opening onto the roadside with seven semi-circular concrete arches supporting copper clad tunnel-vault roof. It won a Festival of Britain award in 1951 for architectural merit there is a plaque with the festival logo. It is only used by eastbound buses despite westbound buses being specified in original 1930s brief.
Ilford Maternity Hospital. In 1918 the urban district council opened a maternity home in two houses, and in 1926 a permanent building, subsequently enlarged opened in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park.
Sainsburys
Holiday Inn Express
643 art deco factory in use as a retail outlet

Emelingbury
Name of a manor owned by Barking Abbey which was in the area south east of Barkingside. It merged with Gayshams around 1400.

Emmotts Avenue
Church hall - attached to St.Laurence Church but built before it

Horns Road
The area we know as Newbury was once called Horns Village
The County which used to be the Horns Tavern. 19th pub now closed.
67 Cadet Centre. 4F (Ilford) Squadron Air Cadets
21-23 Springfield Care Centre
Stores and trading estate on the site of the maternity hospital.

King George Avenue
This appears to be built on the site of the old Great Eastern Railway line between Newbury Park and Barkingside

Netley Road
Iron mission church, dedicated to St. Laurence, was built in the 1880s. This is no longer there.
Netley Hall. Royal British Legion Club, now closed and to be replaced with flats.
97 The Palms Medical Centre

Newbury Park
Newbury was a small manor held by Barking Abbey . It passed through various hands until sold for building in the mid –19th. Development started from 1900.
Newbury Manor Farm – this was the manor house demolished in 1932

Oaks Lane
Whites Farm. East London Christian Fellowship Centre .

Perrymans Farm Road
Methodist church . In 1910 a small church was built here which was closed in 1934
Oaks Park High School. Comprehensive specialist music college opened in the 1990s.
129 Bet Tikvah Synagogue. This is in the buildings which had been Newbury Park Primary School which was the old Horns Elementary, School, originally opened in 1895. It was designed by C.J. Dawson in1904, for Ilford Council. It has been a synagogue since 1981 and was previously Barkingside Progressive Synagogue
Newbury Park Primary School. This is in what is clearly an old board school building.
Gearies Secondary Modern School. Boys from Gearies elementary school were in a school building here from 1943.
40 Newbury Park Health Centre

Royal Crescent
Site of Ilford Maternity Hospital. Opened in 1918 by Ilford Urban District Council in two houses and then in 1926 this new the purpose-built building was opened. In 1948 it joined the NHS with 51 beds and in 1978 became the West Wing of the King George Hospital. By 1980 it had 20 beds less and was the headquarters of the District Health Authority. It closed in 1993 and was demolished shortly after. It has been developed with housing, shops, commercial a hotel and a community buildings.

Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Thames Tributary – Cranbrook - Barkingside

Thames Tributary – Cranbrook
The Cranbrook rises in this area and flows south towards the river Roding.


Barkingside is a suburban area north of Newbury Park and Eastern Avenue.  It has a modest town centre and much between-the-wars housing.  It is notable however for having been home to the headquarters of the Barnardo organisation. Although the site here no longer functions as a children's home much of the housing and facilities remain. Barkingside also has sports grounds, churches and the usual facilities.  It also has an amazingly grand railway station - this originated as a Great Eastern Railway Company building, taken over in the 1930s to become part of the Underground's Central Line - its grandeur said to be in order to impress important visitors to Barnardos

Post to the south Newbury Park

Barkingside
The name means a hill or a slope and is first recorded in 1538. So it was on the hill side of Hainault Forest and on the corner of Fairlop Plain. It consisted of forest workers’ cottages, farm houses, and a few mansions – none have survived.

Burford Close
Fullwood Primary School

Carlton Drive
Ilford Jewish Primary School. United Synagogue day school. The school is expected to be replaced by a Hindu school here.
Railway Cottages. Housing built at the same time as the station for their staff. In a ‘semi detached garden city style’.
Station masters house – this is a detached villa with a pillared porch and large garden

Civic Way
32 New Mossford Centre for disabled children opened by Barnardo's in 1975. Closed as part of Barnardo’s plan to stop running children’s homes. It remained unused and empty and has now been demolished.

Court Way
Mossford Lodge. Barnardo was given Mossford Lodge when he married in 1873, two years after he opened his first boys’ home in Stepney. His wife had herself been involved with homeless young people and was the daughter of the Chairman of Lloyds. Barnardo lived here with his family, and the first girls were housed in the stable block. Demolished.
Redbridge Magistrates Court. Built 1974 by the GLC Dept Architecture and Civic Design and is like many others of this period. It was part of plans drawn up in 1967 by the Borough's of Redbridge for a Civic Centre here but which never materialized. It is built on the site of Mossford Lodge.

Cranbrook Road
794, Queen Victoria House. Built as a Receiving House for new inmates of Barnado's estate. Built in 1903 and dedicated to Queen Victoria. In 1970 it was bought by the London Borough of Redbridge ad used as a registry office. Inside are original features and dormitories.
Tesco – built on some of the Barnardo’s site
Barkingside Recreation Ground

Fairlop Playing Fields
The Cranbrook -crane or heron brook – rises here
Fairlop Waters Golf Club. 9 hole golf club opened in 1968

High Street
Police Station. Built in 1964 in concrete and glass. It was extended in 1993.
The Chequers. Mid 19th pub, for a while known as the Old Investigator.

Horns Road
Lodge. Building at the entrance to the Barnardo's estate with a jettied and tile-hung upper storey. Sets the tone for the seventeen surviving cottages

Sandringham Gardens
Cottages in two straight rows, Built in 1851 by William Ingram, farmer and owner of Clay Hall. Model type in a 'Tudor' style. Restored 1981.

Station Road
Barkingside Station. Opened in 1903 it lies between Newbury Park and Fairlop on the Central Line. It was built originally by the Great Eastern Railway designed by William Burgess as a handsome station with a Baroque cupola and weather vane. It stands at the end of an embankment and inside is the ticket hall has a hammer beam roof. On the platforms ‘GER” ironwork remains on brackets. It was lit by electric light from Ilford UDC. It was built to such a high standard for what was then a very small village because it served Barnardo’s girls home where important visitors, including royalty, were expected. Great Eastern built it on their Fairlop loop and it was also thought that the Ilford area was about to expand. However it had very low use and for that reason was closed during the Great War in 1916 and reopened in 1919. It was later incorporated with the Central Line when under the 1930s New Works Programme it was transferred to the London Passenger Transport Board. Work was suspended during the Second World War and eventually the Steam services to the station ended in 1947 and electrified trains began in May 1948. Ticket office was altered in 1987.
The Goods Yard originally extended at the front south of the platforms to the approach road. It was closed in 1965 and is now a builders yard.
Oakside Stadium. This was built in 1998 for Barkingside football club but was sold to the Ford United club.
Redbridge Football Club. The Club's Ford United F.C. which was a 1958 merger between Ford Sports Football Club and Briggs Motor Bodies Sports Football Club both dating from 1934. Known as 'The Motormen', from 2004 they were renamed Redbridge Football Club. The club lost its ground in Romford in 2000 and so they then leased the Oakside Stadium
Barkingside Football Club, was formed in 1889 but disbanded in 1922 and resumed in 1925 as Barkingside Boys Guild. The name was changed to Barkingside Old Boys and played at Barkingside Recreation Ground, later moving to Station Road.

Tanners Lane
The name reflects that tanning was an early local industry in this area. The Cranbrook in this area was sometimes called Tanners Brook in the late medieval period. There was a tannery here in the 19th
Sainsburys
Barnardo’s Head Office. Brutalist grey concrete built to replace the Steppe headquarters, by Ian Fraser and Associates with H. Hall, Chief Architect to Barnardo's, 1969. They are built on the site of the Apple Orchard.
Cottages of 19th-century stock brick

Village Way
Athlone House half-timbered building once a technical school built in 1920. It was part of Barnado's.
‘Girls Village Home’ . Barnardo turned some of the Mossford Lodge estate into a home for girls. This was set up as a village of separate cottages where girls were trained for domestic service under a ‘house 'mother'. It was built in 1875 with a layout round a green by Ebenezer Gregg. Each of the cottages was funded by an individual donor and named with some reference to the donor. more cottages were added as time went on until eventually there were three greens and sixty cottages plus a church, hospital and a school - and later a library, a swimming pool, and on in. One of the original buildings was an early steam laundry. The Village closed in 1991. Seventeen of the cottages remain. And are laid out around a green, planted with specimen trees. They are half-timbered, and each had a differently coloured door and they are reminiscent of Roberts' model dwellings designed for the Prince Consort. Models of them were used as collecting boxes for the charity. They are now housing association property. Cambridge Cottage has been restored inside to its original appearance.
Cairns Memorial Cottage. This was built in 1887 and named for the 1st Earl Cairns, who was the charity's first president and Lord Chancellor. It has an octagonal corner clock tower with a spire.
Tree planted by Princess Margaret when she opened New Mossford then moved to Cairns Cottage when it closed.
Dr Barnardo's grave. This dates from 1905 and features a monument by George Frampton, who sculpted it for free. It includes a bronze relief portrait of Barnardo with girls modelled on some of the residents of the home.
Children’s Church. This was built in 1892 and designed by Ebenezer Gregg for special use by children. There is a stone battlemented tower and inside there is a collection of banners of Young Helpers Leagues.
Governor's House. Rebuilt in the 1960s. Demolished.
Residential Home. Built to replace Scotch House on the site of the old Governor’s House. Closed 1990 and used as offices.
Principal school building. Rebuilt in 1892. Demolished.
Scotch House. Home to 12 disabled ex-staff members, sold to Redbridge Council.

Sources
Barkingside Football Club. Web site
Barnardo. Web site
Day. London Underground
Chequers. Web site
Ilford Jewish Primary School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Redbridge Football Club. Web site
Victoria County History of Essex

Monday, 5 September 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Cranbrook

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east. A tributary stream from the Redbridge area parallels and eventually joins it

TQ 42941 87152

Suburban area of Ilford

Post to the west Wanstead Park
Post to the south Aldersbrook
Post to the east Valentines

Cranbrook
Cranbrook was a manor named from the Cran Brook, which joins the Roding south of this section. The estate was split in 1760 and the northern section called Highlands. In 1897 the remaining 215 acres in the Cranbook area was sold to a builder, W P Griggs & Co Ltd, and the Cranbrook estate was developed from 1897 by William Griggs’ son, Sir Peter Griggs who went on to become the local MP. William Griggs had been a self made man rising from a humble background in inner east London through the lighterage business.

De Vere Gardens
Cranbrook House was on a site covered by this road.
29 Home of Otto Leibermann and where he synthesised dolomite in the kitchen. He was a distinguished German chemist, driven out during the Second World War, and who then worked for Jenson and Nicholson in Ilford.

Endsleigh Gardens
Cranbrook House. This was used to accommodate Spanish prisoners in 1589. In the 18th it was a timber-framed building, with a moat with drawbridges, surrounded by a brick wall. It was rebuilt by 1799 and was demolished before 1901. The estate was used for building.
Cranbrook Farmhouse. This was about 150 yards north-west of Cranbrook House. It was a large gabled building still there in 1818, but demolished in the 1820s.
Highlands. This house stood near Cranbrook farmhouse in the 17th but was demolished.
Highlands - In 1765 a new Highlands House was built for Sir Charles Raymond 300 yards north-west of the original house. It was demolished in the 19th.
Highlands Farm House. This farmhouse was south of Highlands House and had been the laundry of the mansion. It was dated by a brick ‘1765’.
Wyfields manor house of was about northwest of Cranbrook Farm. It was demolished around 1829.

Highlands Gardens
Highlands Primary School is a first school with a nursery. It was built in 1905 with additions in 1997. Lennox Gardens
Highlands Infants School. Closed 1996

North Circular

Roding
Mill on the manor of Wyfields in 1567-7429

Sewage works.
Empress Sewage Works. Opened by Wanstead Local Board in 1883. The site was converted to wildlife area in the 1990s. The embankment at the boundary with Wanstead Park was kept. Pylons for the National Grid cross the area. Part of the area, called The Wilderness, was taken over by the City of London Corporation. Redbridge field is also on the site and a borehole was dug here in 2008 by Thames Water Cycle paths and horse rides have been developed through the area

The Drive
Port of London Authority Playing Fields.
St. Andrews Church. A church hall was built here in 1906, the church built in 1923 forming a new parish. It is red brick and designed by Sir Herbert Baker
Housing on the site of the Methodist Church. This was on the corner of Clarendon Gardens. In 1904 Cranbrook Park Methodist Church was opened and completed in 1914 with a Sunday School from 1925. It was closed in 1973.

Wanstead Park Road
St John the Baptist Roman Catholic church. built in 1967 by John Newton of Buries, Newton & Partners. It is red brick with a later porch. Rear windows face the road with stained glass by Patrick Reyntiens
Wanstead Park Recreation Ground

Wyfields or Withfields
Wyfields or Withfields manor and its fields were west of Cranbrook Road. ‘Withefield’ was an ancient place name.

Sources
British History online. Ilford. Web site
Highlands School,. Web site
St. Andrews church,. Web site
St. John the Baptist. Web site
Victoria History of Essex

Sunday, 4 September 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Wanstead Park

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south east in a canalised section


Post to the north Redbridge roundabout
Post to the east Cranbrook


Empress Avenue
Wanstead Isolation Hospital. This was built by the Wanstead Local Board of Health in 1893. It came under the Wanstead Urban District Council until 1934, when Wanstead amalgamated with Woodford UDC and became part of the Waltham Joint Hospital Board. It closed in 1936. The buildings bombed the Second World War.
Allotments on the site of the demolished hospital

Ingatestone Road
Aldersbrook Primary School. This was built in 1908 designed by C.H. Brassey,
Lodge house to the school

Margaretting Road
11 house which may have been converted from stable block, or outhouse.

Northumberland Avenue
The road, surrounding roads and the area to the south are part of the Aldersbrook estate built in the immediate pre-First World War Period and named after the Alders Brook, a tributary to the Roding. Many houses in the road have first floor balconies overlooking the park, many of them very pretty. The estate was built on land from the Wanstead House estate and Aldersbrook Farm
London NE Group War HQ. In the Second World War Greater London were divided up into sectors and this was later used as a structure for civil defence organisations. In the 1950s, war rooms known as ``sub-regional commissioner's offices'' were built. This was demolished in 2000. It stood at the end of the road east of Clavering Road and was built on the site of the hospital
Council housing on the site of the hospital built in the early 1970s newer housing built on the site of the civil defence building are known as “Bunker Villas”.
Perry Lodge – assisted living care home on part of the old hospital site.
Aldersbrook Riding School and stables, on the site of the demolished hospital
Aldersbrook Wood. This includes a wooden building of the Woodford District Horticultural Society. Some remains of buildings still lie on the site.
Woodside Court – modern flats

Overton Road
Wanstead Golf Club. The club was founded as Wanstead Park Golf an opened at lunch in 1893. The land was leased by Lord Cowley and the course has been redesigned several times since.
Golf Club House. 18th stable block in brick and timber which has been alerted since.

Wanstead Park
Wanstead House. The site is marked by a depression near the first hole on golf course. The house was built for Richard Child, Viscount Catlemaine and first Earl Tylney, and was demolished in 1820. It was a large classical house designed by Colen Campbell. It replaced an older one bought in 1667 by his father, Sir Josiah Childc chairman of the East India Company. It was the earliest major building the revived Palladian style. It was 260 ft long, with a six-column central portico. In the early c19, the fortune of the heiress Catherine TyIney-Long was spent by her husband and in 1822 it was sold to pay his debts. Part of the portico is at Hendon Hall
The grounds were enclosed from an area of the Forest of Waltham in 1545 and were later landscaped including by Humphrey Repton and William Kent. In 1878 it was bought by the City of London under the Epping Forest Act. There are grasslands and ponds as well as Scrub and woodland but remains of the formal grounds
Avenue which runs east from the site of the house and which ended in a formal canal which is now a string of lakes
Mounts - these are on either side of the avenue but are now hidden by trees. There was also once an amphitheatre with stepped grass banks,
Lake system the water engineering was carried out by Adam Holt. The northern lakes were fed from the Roding, the southern area, from the basin west of the house.
Grotto added by the second earl in 1761-2 .it had a boathouse below a domed upper chamber. It was set on fire in 1884 but has recently been renovated.
Temple. From 1760 repaired in 1992-7, after it had been used by Forest keepers from 1882. It is on a mound and has an access point at the back to a lower room. In the front is a portico with an entrance to an upper room, with a blue and white colour scheme. The wings were added later. Inside is a lead statue of Andromeda, from the grotto. It is now a centre for park activities.
Avenue of sessile oaks south of the Temple, from Repton's planting.
Stream shown on 16th map which ran west/east across the estate and into the Roding
The Heronry – established in the early 20th
Rook Island – site for birds including cormorants
Heronry Pond. With Perch Pond known originally as The Serpentine Ponde and it is technically half in Epping Forest and boundary fences can be seen. An earth embankment at the eastern end holds it within the valley. It covers about eight and a half acres with two islands. It has a concrete base and sides. It is fed from is a storm sewer coming from Northumberland Avenue and taking water from the built up area and was refurbished in the 1970s. There is also a drain from the golf course and streams appear on the surface in heavy rain. In 194l, two high explosive bombs fell into the pond blocking the passage round the east island. Pieces of the original concrete structure remain on the north bank. In 1944, a couple boating on the lake were killed by a V I and resulting damage to the lake was not repaired until 1949.
Perch Pond. With Heronry Pond known originally as The Serpentine Ponde. An earth embankment at the eastern end holds it within the valley. This covers about five and a half acres and has seven small islands. It is used for fishing and some boating. There is a boathouse on the north bank and another building used as a snack bar. It is fed by a storm sewer
Ornamental waters. The result of work done on the Roding under Sir Joshua Child. It was then called The Serpentine River and later The Great Lake. Later designs allowed the Roding to flow through it, or not, via a scheme of dams. It covers about 15.0 acres and there are a number of islands but elms on them have died of Dutch Elm disease. Water is pumped into it from the Roding. There is a weir, into the Roding at the south east end. The islands on it are called The Fortifications and this area us now partially flooded. It was built as a wildfowling facility.
Pump house at the northern end of Ornamental Waters. In the 1930s a Gwynne’s Invincible pump, was installed which could shift 800 gallons per minute. This stopped work in 1976 when the drought led to a drastic lowering of flow into the Roding. In 1977 a Flygt medium pressure pump was installed in a pit behind the pump house.
Roman remains. There has been much archaeological work to establish the site of Roman Villa. Roman pottery found 1846. A Roman ruin and mosaic floor was found west of the boathouse at Perch Pond in the 1730's, and found again in the 1960’s
Lincoln Island. An island in the River Roding marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, perhaps a transferred name, or so called from some local person or family. It is a site for herons and other birds.

Warren Drive
Bowling Green

Warren Road
Goes right though the area of parkland

Thames Tributary River Roding - Redbridge

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south 
 

Post to the north Wanstead
Post to the south Wanstead Park
 

Eastern Avenue

Laura Close
A footpath to Nutter Lane runs alongside the road


Leicester Road
Originally a bridle path leading through the Wanstead estate


Nutter Lane
This is one of the oldest local roads having previously been a through route called ‘George Lane’ or Wanstead Lane - thus it begins at the George Pub in Wanstead. The name was changed in 1934 when Eastern Avenue was built. It is named after a family called "Nutter” - two sisters who were daughters of a City cheese merchant and lived locally.
Roding Farm. This farm stood in the area now covered by allotments and the fields stretched to the River Roding
57-63 Chepstow Cottages. Built in 1892, and also called Roding Cottages
Buttercup Field
Nutter Lane Recreation Ground owned by London Borough of Redbridge
Drummond Lawn Tennis Club. In 1921 the club began by people from St Mary’s Church and Christ Church. The name came from Rev Morton Drummond, then rector of Wanstead, and the club used a court in the rectory garden. In 1926 they moved to Nutter Field after it had been left to the parishioners of Wanstead. A pavilion was built and three courts laid out. A new pavilion was opened 1993 after the original was burnt down
Nutter Field given to the Borough in 1921 by the Nutter sisters.
Wanstead Central Bowls Club
Wanstead and Snaresbrook Cricket Club- the main site for this long established club is in Overton Drive
Stink pipe on the corner of Preston Road and Buckingham Road
The New Wilderness, Eton Manor Rugby Football Club. Founded 1928. The club derives from the Eton Manor Boys' Club which began as the The Manor Charitable Trust in Hackney Wick in the early 20th century. The club was reformed in 1946 and eventually moved to this site – using the name the Wilderness which had been the name of their site in Leyton. In 1946 the club acquired a set of metal posts, one of only three in the UK. The posts were re-installed on the first team pitch at Nutter Lane and are still in use.

Redbridge Lane East
Redbridge car park
Red House pub. The pub is now a Beefeater restaurant attached to a Premier Inn.

Redbridge Lane West
Redbridge Lane West allotments
Redbridge Leisure Centre a privately run facility on the site of an older Swimming Bath and Wanstead Sports Centre
Wanstead High School. Very large school built as Wanstead County High School but now a comprehensive which specialises in the performing arts. It was built on the site of a rectory in the 1930s as very early co-educational secondary school. It used a heron as its badge – hence old pupils are "Old Heronians" .It was extended in 1964 and 1974


Roding Lane South
Gravel Pit. In the 19th Red House Pit was north of the pub and was a gravel extraction site. Five Palaeolithic flint hand-axes were found there, and are now in the British Museum
Roding Lane Free Church. In the early 1930s some land was given to a Mr & Mrs Borton for a church building which they paid to have built. The building was damaged in the Second World War but in the early 1950s this was repaired and another piece of land nearby had been developed as an extension. It is a Baptist church with links to the national Baptist organisations.
Scout Hut used by Little Montessorians Pre School


Wigram Road
37 a wardens post in the Second World War at the junction with Redbridge Lane. This was a part buried concrete building.

The road was built in the 1920s and originally numbered A106. It was built together with the Southend Arterial Road, to provide a route to Southend. The whole route opened in 1924 and had a new build wide single carriageway. In the 1950s it was renumbered as part of the A12. In the 1990s it was upgraded as part of the M11 Link road and rebuilt as a dual carriageway.
Redbridge roundabout –This was originally built in the 1970's but in the meantime the roads feeding it have changed. There is a brick tower structure in the centre.
Redbridge Station. Opened in 1947 it lies between Wanstead and Gants Hill stations on the Central Line. Work had started before the Second World War and during the war the station’s completed tunnels were used as a munitions factory by the Plessey Co. – these are proper tube tunnels although the station itself was built by cut and cover methods. It was designed by Charles Holden and repeats, but rather smaller, the circular ticket hall and tower of Chiswick Park station. Originally, it was to be called "West Ilford" or "Red House".
Central Line. Built on marshy land the line was built under twice atmospheric pressure.
Pumping Station, by Bernard W Bryan, engineer, of the East London Water Works Co. in red brick. It is set in its own extensive grounds and has a square central tower, a lower pumping hall and a boiler house behind. There is a sluice in the Roding as it passes the site but the water is pumped here from a deep well.
Cottage. Tudor style gatehouse to the pumping station
Redbridge. This is the bridge over the Roding. The old Red Bridge was at the point at which Eastern Avenue now crosses the river and dated from at least the 18th. It was demolished in 1922 and replaced with a bridge, carrying Eastern Avenue, and built by the Ministry of Transport. Earlier it was called Hocklee's Bridge from the name of a local family.
The Roding is the boundary between Wanstead and Ilford.