Small River Lee
Small River Lee continues to flow southwards and is met by Theobald’s Brook
from the West.
Marsh Ditch flows north into Theobald’s Brook
Post to the south Freezy Water
Post to the west Waltham Cross
Post to the north Waltham Cross
Post to the east Waltham Abbey
part of the bypass road in the 1970s.
Primary School – small local primary school
Scrapyard once covered munch of this area and was used as a location in the
A metal furniture company originating from the USA.
National Distribution Centre. In 1945 William Reynolds had a fruit and veg
stall in Ridley Road Market, Hackney, and by the 1980s was supplying to
restaurants in London and beyond. They
later moved to Spitalfields market and since 2000 have opened a chain of depots
throughout the country. This site was opened in 2005 under William’s grandson,
and Co., Removal business opened in Portsmouth in 1871. The business is still family owned with 200 vehicles. The firm
started with passengers’ baggage from Atlantic liners and now undertakes all types
of domestic and international removals with offices round the world.
Railway goods yard – gates still in place. Industrial and
Eleanor Cross Road
called Waltham Lane
Royal Mail depot
Club. Imperial Hall was a reading room
and library given by Lady Meux in 1896. Boxing matches were held herein the
1940’s and in the 1960s pop music performers. A bar and dance hall was opened
by Derek Walker-Smith, M.P. in 1974
Fried Chicken. This site had been the Queens Head pub which was once a 19th
cottage and has long been closed.
replaced a level crossing
flats. On the site of the Britannia pub which had an 18th core and was
an old farmhouse
1840s house, in commercial use.
Cyprian church was built in 1893 for Waltham New Town in a road then called The
Crescent by John Crawter. for a time it was served by the Brotherhood of the
Holy Cross, and a curate in order to serve people from the estate which
replaced the New Town. This failed to happen and the church was closed in 1973
Friary Care home. This appears to cover some of the site of St.Cyprian’s Church
Durkan House. Durkan are a building construction company. The building was previously known as Britannica
House built in the 1960s on the site of the Maclanco sweet factory. Pan Britannica Industries was a small
agrochemicals company best known for Baby Bio liquid plant food.
Hart Court. On the site of a pub which dated from 1669
House. 1750. Demolished. This 18th house stood
on the east side of the street, at the junction which is now Monarch's Way. Prior
to demolition it was owned by the County Council and used as a nursery school.
Court flats on the site of Temple Bar pub
Fit. The site was once a blacksmiths founded in 1806 by James Mold and then the
The Vine. A 16th timber-framed inn on a main route out of
London. It was given a brick casing in the 18th but is now roughcast.
Waltham Cross is a common variety of grape grown worldwide and developed at the
Royal Nurseries slightly to the east of here in the 1860s. The pub itself
operates on a different site nearby in a building from the 1970s. The original
building is now used as offices.
Immaculate Conception and St. Joseph. Built 1931 and Replaced 1857 church which
is now at the rear. Eleanor Hall was used as the church but is now being
the church which was the original St.Joseph’s School, since replaced. It was founded
in 1900 with help from Lady Meux.
Ab – it was previously The Happy Pig
Shopping Centre. Built in the late
sign for the Four Swans pub which was demolished for the development of the
Pavilions Centre. The sign originally went across the street. The Swans date
from 1858 and were elm but replaced in fibreglass moulded from the originals. The
pub itself dated to 1606- although it is said to be where Eleanor’s body rested
Company. Showrooms which were originally
built for the North Metropolitan Electric Supply Company 1920s.
Gas Office and showroom. Originally built for the Cheshunt and Waltham Abbey
This was an ‘Eleanor Cross’. It was erected
here in 1291 by Edward I in memory of his wife Eleanor of Castile whose body is said to have rested in the Four Swans
Inn on the way from Nottinghamshire, where she died, to Westminster for burial. A cross was erected at each nightly stopping
place but only three remain. They were erected
to a basic design but with some variations. The original sculptor was Alexander
of Abingdon, with masons Nicholas Dyminge de Reyne and Roger Crundale. The second and third stages were rebuilt in 1832-3 by W B Clarke and in 1885, under a committee formed by Sir Henry
Bruce Meux roadway was altered and the replica of the Cross was carved from Ketton
stone. It was again renovated in 1950-3, Thus much of it, including
the statues, are replicas. It is a hexagon with the lowest stage with shields, arches,
and gables. The middle stage has three statues in niches and the Third has
single arches. The three-step base is surrounded by 19th iron
Pub. The original inn was right against the Eleanor Cross and protected it. It
dated from at least 1617 and was a mail house and coach stop with a gallows
sign across the street... It was demolished for the new road when the cross was
refurbished and opened by Lady Meux in 1892.
The Falcon was pulled down in 1974 to make way for new developments
Furniture shop. In 1899 Ernest Fishpool set up his first shop. He originally
sold clothes as well as furniture and he later moved to 162/164 High Street
adjacent to the present shop at 109-115. After World War I two old army
ambulances, became furniture delivery vehicles. In 1957 his grandson opened a
warehouse and in 1981, a Watford branch. In 2002 the firm opened a Budget &
Outlet Shop and then a further showroom expansion.
Waltham Cross Library
pub. In 1763 called the Bird in Hand, 1756 Bird Cage. Became the Castle in 1853.
Closed and gone.
78 Harold House. Brick house with plaque saying
‘1757’, fire mark for Royal Union fire insurance company and wrought iron gates.
Embassy Cinema. Thus was opened
in 1937 having been built for the Shipman and King circuit and designed by Howis
and Belcham with interior decoration by Mollo & Egan. It had a Christie
organ previously in the Court Cinema, Berkhamsted. It was tripled in 1972 and a
fourth screen added in the restaurant. It is now used for bingo operated by
Gala having also been known as the Cannon.
Palace Cinema was built by Captain Cecil Clayton of Turners Hill in 1912. Captain
V A Haskett-Smith took it over in the 1920s and sold it to Shipman and King in
1931. The name was changed to The Regent. Unable to expand the owners built the
Embassy nearby. The Regent closed in 1973 for bingo. The premises are now a
shops and a health club.
post with ‘BH’ which stands for Bethlehem Hospital, a major local landowner
and Cross. Wetherspoon’s pub on the Site of Waltham House, home of novelist Anthony Trollope, 1859 -1871, where he wrote
twenty-six novels. It was demolished in 1936.
alms-houses. These stood on the east
side of the street, near the boundary and the M25. Founded in 1600 they became part of the Beaumont
Charity. Mew buildings were erected in 1908, but toilets and bathrooms were
added at the back in the 1960's.
gate cottage built at the site of the tollgate 1725-1869. Demolished.
House, stood on the Enfield boundary. In the 1970s it was demolished and became
a caravan sales site – now under the M25.
estate with 22 storey tower was a redevelopment of Waltham New Town. The town
was built in 1860s for powder mill workers.
King Edward Road
Cross Baptist church. Founded in 1729 the church first met in the old palace at
Theobald’s under Col.Packer, one of Cromwell’s officers. After the Five Mile
Act of 1665 they had to meet in Epping Forest but after the Toleration Aft of
1689 things were easier. A meeting house was built on the site of the present Chapel
in what was then Paradise Row and it was paid for by local fundraising. Baptism
was in the local stream. A manse was built in 1769 – demolished for flats in
1961. The present building was erected in 1836 following, again, local fund
Swannes Primary School. Built on the playing fields of Kings Road School.
Road Junior and Infant School was built in 1913 by the County Council. The main building was destroyed by fire in 1976, after
it was closed in 1975, and Four Swannes School was built to replace it.
New Ford Road
and trading estates with some housing.
works. The works was originally built by a John Brown and taken over in 1867 by
the Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt Gas Company. In 1928 it was taken over by the
Tottenham and District Gas Company. Nationalised in 1947 it became part of the Eastern
Gas Board but remaining under Tottenham. A gas holder on the site was built in 1880
Gate - site of Enfield Foundry Company Limited. Founded in 1932 by DG Bisset, the Company built their
recent reputation on producing specialist high-conductivity copper, non-ferrous
and iron alloy castings. In 2001 they moved to Braintree.
plaque with 'Salvation is the Lord'.
of the Royal Avenue Nurseries. The Paul family had had nurseries in the area
since 1806 with an emphasis on rose growing. In 1860 son George Paul open Royal
Nurseries here south of Trinity Lane. Waltham Cross grapevine was certificated
in 1871 to William Paul by the Royal Horticultural Society. The nursery was
taken over by Chaplin Bros., before 1924.
Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School.
Built in the late 1960s and replace an earlier school in Eleanor Road
Cross Clinic. Built in the 1930s. An interesting art deco building
Waltham Cross Station. Opened 1840 Northern
and Eastern Railway opened as Waltham. It now lies Between Cheshunt and Enfield
Lock stations. In 1885 the station was resited and the name changed to Waltham
Cross (and Abbey) . It was modernised in the 1960s and original buildings
canoe was excavated from east of here
because of a common field with that name
1-39 Villas with crests on the gables
as part of development of Queen Eleanor estate built in the 1870s and 1880s