Theobald’s Brook flows
south east and meets two tributary streams from the south
TL 34389 01708
Countryside area to the west of Cheshunt, crossed by the New River
Post to the south Theobalds
Post to the west Broadfield Farm
Post to the east Cheshunt
Cemetery. Opened 1855
and managed by the local authority.
Bury Green Lane
This is a continuation
of Green Lanes which was the drove road into London. The southern part of the
road remains a footpath and to the south of it is a stretch of the Theobald’s
Wall of 1620. It is also on the line of both the Boundary
Bank which divides one sort of inheritance law from another and Ermine Street –
and it is also claimed this was the boundary between Anglo-Saxon kingdoms.
Tumulus at Bury Green –
in the past historians once described a ‘Druidical mound; in this area with ascending
paths corresponding to the four cardinal points. Not clear if this existed, or
where it was if it did.
Bury Green Farm. The
farmhouse is said to have been built in 1892 by Sir Henry Meux and there is a
plaque to him on the building. The outbuildings are older.
St.Mary’s Church of
England High School. This has been built on the site of Bury Green farm. The
school dates from 1878 and was originally in Churchgate.
Council housing built
post-Second World War
Flamstead End Relief Road
Broom Hills – ancient
woodland owned by the local authority
There is a footpath
along New River from the Flamstead Relief Road.
Co. marker - near the access gate
onto the New River path
British History on line. Cheshunt
Essex Lopresti. The New River
St.Mary's School. Web site