Theobald’s Brook flows east and
south towards the River Lee
Post to the north Hammondstreet
Post to the west Goff's Oak
Post to the south Broadfield Farm
Faints Lake. Fishing venue
Flamstead End Relief Road
The footpath is said to be part
of boundary bank
Triangle Cottage on what was
manorial waste. Built 1840 in red brick probably on
an earlier timber frame.
Cottages - 18th weather
Caldecot House – Claramont House.
Claramont was the estate of Sir Gore Ousley with an ice house in the grounds.
In the 1920s it was home to the Caldecott Community and in the 1930s became
Cuthbert’s nursery. The area is now housing. The house is 18th, refaced in cement.
This was set up by Leila Rendell. Born in the 1880s Leila worked with young
children and girls in the St.Pancras area and opened a nursery. In 1917 the
Caldecott community moved to Kent and became a boarding school for
working-class children. In 1924 it moved to Goff’s Oak but in 1932 returned to
Cuthbert’s' nursery moved here from Southgate in 1933. The Company was
run by Clayton Russon, who featured in press columns as ‘Mr. Cuthbert’, and
later by his wife. The firm sold seeds primarily via Woolworths from 1937. In
1976, Cuthbert's was acquired by a Swedish firm and is now based in Torquay.
Lodge to Claramont 19th building
Colesgrove Farm. 16th farmhouse
on a site which was once part of the rectory lands. The house has a timber frame with red brick
cladding, making it look like an 18th building.
The Old Barn. 17th
timber frame barn converted to a house in 1926 by W Mitchell. It was once part
of Colesgrove Farm.
The ‘Boundary Bank” goes up the
hill. This was a bank line which divided areas with different sorts of
Stone with ‘IC’
imitation-Tudor lodge of Colesgrove Manor.
Roughcast, with a weathervane.
Coles Grove Manor. Tudor-style country house built by the Mayo family in 1833 on an core of Warwick House built in 1658 when it was part of Andrews Manor. It was the home of the writer Doris Leslie - who was really Lady Fergusson Hannay. At the side is part of a 19th stable with weather boarding. There is a collection of letter boxes in the grounds. One item of which was made
in 1855-6 by Smith and Hawkes of Birmingham to designs of the Post Office
Architect, Mr. Edge. It is the usual cast-iron, painted red but it has a fluted
shaft with a frieze saying ‘POST OFFICE'.
On top is a crown on a tasselled cushion. Only three of these were ever
made and were not repeated on cost grounds. This one either came from outside
Fishmongers' Hall, or New Street, Birmingham. In 1890 it was exhibited for the
penny Post Jubilee Celebrations, and then loaned to the curator of the National
Postal Museum, Mr. Wellsted, who lived here.
Halstead Hill House. 19th Gothick villa.
Rose Cottage. 19th
Tudor-style cottage of painted brick. Since modernised.
Pines 1920s house
Long Acre 1920s house
Victorian style electric street lamps on some length of the road
Bailiff's House. 19th yellow brick house. One of three buildings remaining from the Wood Green Estate.