Thursday, 26 January 2012

Tributary to Cobbins Brook - Epping

Tributary to Cobbins Brook
The tributary rises in this area and flows North West towards the brook

Post to the north Epping

Bakers Lane
Archimedean Ironworks established by William Cottis in 1858, which made metal products. Demolished in the 20th century

Bolt Cellar Lane
A bridle way bordered with a large hedgerow

Bury Lane
Epping Burial Ground opened 1911. There are 3 graves of casualties from the Great War and 20, from the Second World War

Coronation Hill
Epping Primary School

High Street
88 & 90. 18TH houses with modern shops on the ground floor.
98 - 102 The Cottage. 17th plastered houses
St. John the Baptist. Built in 1889 on the site of a chapel of ease to All Saints at Epping Upland.  It began in the 14th as a chapel belonging to Waltham Abbey and after the dissolution a vicar was appointed under the Bishop of London. This was confirmed by the crown but it was given to John Cocks of Broxbourne but retaining the rights of people from Epping for use for divine services. It was later sold on, including a house called Chapel Hall, but the same provision applied to the chapel. It was later regarded as a chapel-of-ease to All Saints, and served by their vicar until 1764 and then trustees employed a chaplain with the vicar as a trustee. In 1824 it received grants from Queen Anne's Bounty, and in it became the parish church in 1888. The chapel had been enlarged in 1622, and further work done in successive years and then various rebuilding schemes considered. It was rebuilt in in 1832 the chapel was rebuilt to the designs of S. M. Hubert and money in legacies allowed more work to be done. In 1889, it was demolished and replaced by a building, designed by Bodley and Garner, and there have been additions to this since.
Markets were held here from the early middle ages, and there were two successive market houses here, both now gone. The first was alongside the chapel which was the predecessor to St.John’s church.
123 Council depot & National House offices
117a Hawthorn Lodge. This was used as Council offices until 1972.
Fire station
Epping Methodist Church. Built 1887 when the congregation moved here from Hemnal Street.
Barclays – this was previously the Duke of York, pub
Drinking trough and monument. This was originally erected in 1887 and money raised by public subscription. In 1961 it was removed by the Council during redevelopment and used as landfill at the rear of the Baptist Church. Then in the 1970s and 1980s people tried to find it and specialist equipment failed to find it but eventually excavators retrieved it by chance and in 1989 it was replaced.
Empire Cinema was opposite the Church. and it closed in 1954. Originally built as a town hall it opened in 1912 having been a skating rink and by the early 1920’s was operated by Shipman & King. It was reopened 1924, and re-named Picture Palace, but was partly burnt down in 1935, and was re-built as the Empire. It became a Tesco supermarket and is now a photographic studio

Lower Swaines
Lower Swaines recreation ground
Swaines Green Nature Reserve is a green corridor between two sections of Epping Forest. It is made up of four fields. Forties Field which is now scrub typically thickets of oak, ash, hawthorn and blackthorn and some grassland. Lower Lincoln’s Field with grassland. Middle Lincoln's Field grassland with a water source and water plants. Lovelocks Meadow with few trees and some scrub

St.Johns Road
This was originally a small road, called Chapel Lane, giving access to the National School
5, 7, 9, 11, 11a, 15 18th houses with white weather boarded fronts
Epping Hall. New building on the site of a previous hall inherited from the Women’s Institute
Epping Primary School. In 19th national school building previously used byEssex County Council as an Adult Education Centre
Epping Library

Tower Road
St. John’s Church of England School. Specialist engineering college.

1 comment:

john milton said...

Nice post having a good information about eucalypt estate epping and house and land epping. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep it further..!!