Saturday, 4 February 2012

Hempshill Brook - Northaw

Hempshill Brook and Northaw Brook
Hempshill Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards
Northaw Brook flows east and south

Post to the south Potters Bar
Post to the east Northaw
Post to the west Little Heath

Coopers Lane
Dower House. Built in 1749 using materials said to have come from Canons, Edgware. This has also been known as Fairlawn House
House which was the stables to Dower House. This is now a separate house. It is 18th in red brick with single storey side extensions.
The Grange.17th or earlier timber framed house with 18th and mid 20th restyling.  At one time used as a convent
The Forge – this cul de sac development is on land marked as a smithy on 19th maps.
Northaw Place. Built in1690 for Captain Moncey R.N with later alterations. 17th stable block with a clock tower and clock faces. Inside are wall and ceiling paintings and also some in Chinese style. Garden walls from the 17th in red brick. In the centre are double cast iron gates between 19th gate piers. In the late 19th this was Northaw Preparatory School, run by two clergymen ‘only interested in cricket and the bible’ – a pupil there was Clement Attlee. Now let as flats.
Springfield. This is a house built in 1820 and later altered. In the 1950s it was the home of Charles Gordon Maynard, Chairman of Hatfield Rural District Council who may/may not be the same man as the inventor of the wine gum.
Old Owen’s Recreation Ground. This is the sports ground for the old boys club of what was Dame Alice Owens School in Islington. They moved to this site from Whetstone in 1988.
Northaw House. Built in 1698 and now used as offices for the Architects Co-partnership. It is painted plaster on red brick. There are service blocks and a 19th stable block.
Spinney Cottage. This was once a bakery and has a 17th baker’s oven at one end. The house itself is in chequered red brick

Judges Hill
1 The Sun Public House. 17th timber framed inn
Stud Farm
War Memorial, erected after the Great War with Second World War names added

Northaw Road West
St. Thomas the Martyr. Church of England. It was built in 1881-2 and replaced an earlier church which had been burnt down and which had been built in 1809.  It was built by Church. 1881, by C Kirk and Son of Sleaford.
Two Brewers Public House with a 16th timber frame plus later extensions.
2, 4, 6, 8, Ivy Cottages which are 19th in red brick.
9 – 9a. The Old Bakery. House which was once a bakery. This is a 17th timber frame house with later alterations.
10 -12 Muscombes Cottage. Cottage In painted brick. Made up from two properties. 19th but may be earlier.

Nyn Pond
The area around the pond used to be Lake Field. The lake was the water feature and boating lake for long derelict Nyn Manor.

Vineyards Road
Old Vicarage. Built 1752 with later additions

No comments: