The Lea Navigation
Lea Navigation and the Overflow Channel flow south
Post to the north Ponders End
Post to the east Low Hall Chingford
Post to the south William Girling Reservoir
Post to the west Edmonton
Way is part of a throughout route between the Lea Navigation and the railway
developed in the 1970s-80s.
Lee Valley Leisure Centre. This was built
on an old refuse tip and developed for the Lee Valley Regional Park from 1973. It used to be called the Picketts Lock Sports Centre .The main
buildings are in the square to the west.
Lock golf course. There is an 18 hole golf course, floodlit driving range and all-weather
pitches. Opened in the 1970s and used by the Leaside Golf Club
Valley Camp site. The site includes a shop, adventure
playground, shower and toilet, laundry, and barbecue area. They also have cocoons
and cabins for hire.
Bowls Centre. Six rinks with a bar and lounge
The Channel had come from the Navigation above Ponders End Lock and
follows the western edge of the William Girling Reservoir towards Edmonton
Girling Reservoir. The reservoir was named after
William Girling, chair of the Metropolitan Water Board. It was originally planned
by the East London Waterworks Company which was abolished before could be
built, and then construction was delayed for many years. Work finally began in
1936 by Mowlem with Robert Wynne-Edwards as engineer. It was designed Sir Jonathan
Roberts Davidson. The work was interrupted by the Second World War and it was
not finally opened until 1951. It is a Site
of Special Scientific Interest as is a wintering ground for water fowl.
Cherry & Pevsner London North
Lee & Stort Navigation web site.
Neale. Chingford Water
Lee Valley Leisure Centre web site