Turkey Brook flows eastwards
Post to the west Forty Hall
Post to the east Enfield Wash
Post to the north Bulls Cross
Maidens Bridge. The bridge is first mentioned in 1572 but is has thought there has been one here since the 11th. A new bridge was built in 1795, replaced in 1824 and was repaired in the early 1970s after lorry damage. It has a single span bridge with circular flood arches on either side or projections which form four narrow pedestrian refuges. There is an iron plaque which says: County of Middlesex. Take notice that this bridge (which is a county bridge) is insufficient to carry weights beyond the ordinary traffic of the District and that the owners and persons in charge of locomotive traction engines and heavily laden carriages are warned against using the bridge for the passage of any such engines or carriages. Richard Nicholson, Clerk of the Peace”
4-7 Maiden’s Bridge Cottages. 19th cottages in brick.
Infants School. This is a tiny former brick Infants' School built in 1848 for James Meyer of Forty Hall. It has a plaque saying ‘1848, INFANT SCHOOL’ over the porch. It never received a government grant and closed in the early 20th. Later used as a Scouts' hut
Docwra Aqueduct. This takes the New River over Maidens/Turkey Brook. Built in 1859, it can be seen from Bull’s Cross footpath along Maiden Brook and stretches for about a mile. It was built it to get rid of the diversion to Whitewebbs Park
The name means a ‘patch of high ground in a marsh’. There was a Forty Farm in the area in the early 19th. Continuation of Green Lanes as a drove road. It was built up from the 1920s but green belt legislation stopped its extension.
Jesus Church. Built in 1835 by Thomas Ashwell of Tottenham for C.P. Meyer of Forty Hall. It is a ‘Commissioners' type in brick.
War Memorial – Gothic design outside the church.
Forty Hill Church of England Primary School. This was originally Jesus Chapel National School, Bulls Cross, opened in 1851 on a site donated by Trinity College, Cambridge... The school was made up of a single room, and a Master's house. It was later enlarged and by the 1960s had three classrooms and later a hall and gym were added.
Goat LaneBridgen Estate lies adjacent to Carterhatch Lane. Sold for building in 1868 but there was also some gravel extraction
New River Co. Hoe Lane Pumping Station. Built 1890 and can draw up to 100,000 galls a day from a 395ft well. There is a brick engine house converted to pumps for the artificial recharge scheme in the 1990s.
Great Cambridge Road
Enfield Crematorium. Clock tower. Opened in 1938 by Tottenham and Wood Green burial board. The buildings were designed by Guy Dawber, Wilson and Fox.
St. Ignatius College. Catholic Boys Secondary School. Originally founded in 1894 and based in Stamford Hill, but in Enfield site since 1968
It is possible there was a Tudor water mill here and nearby field names suggest this.