Friday, 30 March 2012

Bounds Green Brook - Bounds Green

Bounds Green Brook
Bounds Green Brook flows north eastwards
TQ 29793 91467

Suburban area crossed which lies south of the North Circular Road and which is crossed north:south by the main line railway from Kings Cross.  It includes a site of Middlesex University and a number of large defunct industrial sites, as well as some open space and the remains of an outdoor baths

Post to the west Colney Hatch
Post to the north Arnos Grove
Post to the south Alexandra Park
Post to the east Bowes Park

Blake Road
Glencairn Bowls Club
St Martin of Porres Roman Catholic School. This is a Primary School with a part-time nursery. The school opened in 1972 and the nursery in 1980. St. Martin was a Peruvian saint. The site was previously tennis courts.

Bounds Green
The name Bounds Green seems to date from the early 17th and Bounds is known to have been a local family name

Bounds Green Road
Middlesex University. The University site in Bounds Green Road home of the Engineering and Information Technology schools was sold in 2003 and is now housing plus a trading estate
Middlesex Polytechnic. This predecessor to the University was established in a concrete warehouse by Rock Townsend 1977-81. This was to give a high-tech factory image by recladding in sheet steel, with much colourful pipework exposed in an open-plan interior.
The Standard Bottle Co. Ltd. Established in 1836 but on this site from 1921. They had three regenerative furnaces here and made all types of bottles and Jars. Closed in 1971.The Polytechnic building was on this site.
Rail sidings and internal narrow-gauge system were on the site now covered by Ringway and a line went to the bottle works. Loco Carbon, built 1930, was working here and disposed of in 1971 – now preserved at Leighton Buzzard.
Bounds Green Industrial Estate – trading estate alongside what was the Polytechnic building. Most of the buildings appear to date from early 1960s.but look older.
Bounds Green Station. Opened between Arnos Grove and Wood Green stations on the Piccadilly Line. It was built for the London Electric Railway, which became the Piccadilly line. The street level building was designed by C.H. James and the main booking hall tower is octagonal. In 1940 the station was bombed and there is a Memorial plaque to those who died in the attack - 19 killed and 52 injured when the station tunnel caved in.  With a vertical rise of 51.88ft, the escalators were the longest on the line. The design of the station is a variant on the type used elsewhere in the line. With an original bronze uplighter in the centre of the ticket hall.
Passmore Edwards House, sheltered housing, on the site of the Passmore Edwards Cottage Hospital. This was here between 1895 and 1983. In land was bought from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the foundation stone was laid by John Passmore Edwards. The hospital was opened in 1895 and built with funding from the Passmore Edwards Foundation. It had 8 beds and was supported by local doctors. The hospital was extended on several occasions. In 1933 it was renamed as Wood Green and Southgate Hospital and In 1948 joined the NHS, The Hospital was modernised in 1973 and closed in 1983.
Springfield Park Tavern, including a Theatre Club. Irish pub.
The Ranelagh. Mitchell and Butlers Pub

Cline Road
The road is named after surgeon Henry Cline who lived in Bounds Green House in 1808
Bounds Green Farm stood on the east side of the current road on the corner of Bounds Green Road
Engineering works
Tealdown Works. Used as a down quilt factory who in 1947 were manufacturers of down quilts, bedspreads, cushions, embroideries, and curtains. The building appears to date from pre-1950s. Assume it is the current Textile House now used as a clothing factory since the 1970s.
Denver House. Currently in use by Ming al (London) Institut – a British Chinese Food Culture Project

Durnsford Road
Cottage style houses built for Wood Green UDC in 1921 by T. H. Mawson and R. Dam; simple, with rendered walls.
Wood Green Lido. Opened in 1934, with a double shallow end and Designed by E.P. Mawson. It was filled by road tanker from an artesian well in Broomfield Road after the Metropolitan Water Board refused to provide the water. It closed after 1988 season. Most of the original buildings remain as the Sunshine Garden Centre

Gordon Road
5 Saam Theatre. Anglo Iranian theatre company. Now performing elsewhere.

Maidstone Road
The tube line from Bounds Green enters a cutting and passes beneath a footway

North Circular Road
Bounds Green Brook flows under it in a culvert until the junction with Bounds Green Road

Park Road
Springfield Community Park - set up as a community trust

Railway
Original Great Northern Railway tunnel, 704 yards

Ring Way
The road round the trading estate appears to follow the line of the light mineral railway.

Scout Park
Brick works site. Opened 1928 when ‘Clay pits with tile kilns and potteries were established by 1862 by Charles Paul Millard, 'brick and tile maker'. By 1903 the Bounds Green Pottery was owned by Charles Pickering and specialised in glazed bricks and tiles. The site was sold in 1926.. Some of the original buildings remain and the levels of the workings can still be seen.
Scouts - The brick works site was sold to the Wood Green District Scouts and in 1928 renamed Scout Park, which it remains today.  The park is now a centre for scouting and other youth activities.

Station Road
New Southgate Gas Works. In 1858 the Southgate and Colney Hatch Gas Light and Coke Company was set up with a gas works beside the railway immediately to the south of New Southgate Station.  In 1866 it was re-incorporated as the Colney Hatch Gas Company, and in 1904 became the Southgate and District Gas Company. It was taken over in 1938 by the Tottenham and District Gas Company and nationalised in 1948.The works closed in 1972 with holders remaining on site. In particular one holder remained, built in 1912 and decommissioned in 2001.

Tewkesbury Terrace
The tube line leaves Bounds Green and, after an initial short fall, the line rises until it reaches the tunnel beneath Tewkesbury Terrace. Here it is 48ft higher than when it started at Finsbury Park. When the line was built rings were installed at the outer-end on the southbound tunnel to reduce the air pressure as trains entered at speed.

Sources
Field London Place Names
Pevsner and Cherry London North
Middlesex Churches
Day. London Underground
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams Revealed.
Martin of Porres School web site
Middlesex University web site
Glassmaking in London web site
Lost Hospitals of London web site
Lidos in London web site
Saam Theatre web site
Scout Park web site
LMA web site

No comments: