Bounds Green Brook/Strawberry Vale Brook
brook rises in this area and flows eastwards
Coppets Brook flows northwards
TQ 28026 90311
Post to the north Coppetts Wood
Post to the east Muswell Hill
Suburban area with open space, including cemetaries and woodland
Primary School. Local authority school opened in 1928. The two-storey building,
originally took all ages but by the 1950s it was for primary and infant
probably means ‘clearing in which charcoal was burned'.
Until the 20th the woodland covered a much wider area but
the southern section was felled and excavated for gravel followed by housing.
The remainder of the wood was bought in 1930 by Hornsey Council. The area is
marked by an ancient wood bank on the western side. The wood is dominated by
oak but there is also coppiced Hornbeam and other trees including wild service.
Coppets or Coldfall Wood Brook flows northwards through the wood. A culverted stream emerges from a pipe opposite Ringwood Avenue and another from a culvert opposite Beech Drive. They merge and run in a natural channel and enter a culvert near the sports grounds. Another branch of the stream flows from the area of Fortismere School, south of Creighton Avenue, and joins the other at the sports ground boundary.
Wood Hospital this was the specialist infectious
diseases department of the Royal Free from the 1960s until 2000. In 1888 the Hornsey Local Board of Health
built a hospital for infectious diseases at what was then called Irish Corner.
It was then seen as a model institution. During the Second Wrold War was used
as temporary accommodation for patients from St Bartholomew's Hospital. In 1948
it joined the NHS and became part of the Northern Group. By 1954 it had 144 beds. In 1963 it joined
the Archway Group and wards were taken over by the Infectious Diseases
Department of the Royal Free Hospital.
Most of the Hospital closed in 2000, when services were transferred to
the Royal Free Hospital. All that
remained was the 2-bedded High Security Infectious Diseases Unit, which had
gained an international reputation in the treatment and care of patients with
hazardous infections, such as Lassa fever and rabies. In 2008 these high security beds also
transferred to the Royal Free Hospital in Pond Street and Coppetts Wood
Hospital finally closed and is now replaced with housing
End Vampires Football Club
Urban District Sewage Farm Filter Beds
Hill Sports Ground. This is said to be part of what was Finchley Common and
also said to be a reclaimed rubbish tip
Coppetts Brook rises slightly to the south of the road
and Islington Cemetery.
vast complex of graves covering 88 acres of Horseshoe Farm acquired by the St
Pancras Vestry in 1854; plus 94 of Finchley Common for Islington in 1877. The boundary fence between the two
has been removed but the line can be traced. It was the first municipal
cemetery in London and the biggest. It had many 18th re-burials from
Islington and from the building of Euston Station. .
Crematorium built by Albert Freeman in 1937 with Art Deco
replaces a demolished lodge
St Pancras Roman Catholic chapel built by Barnet and
Birch in 1896 on the north side of Roman Road. Includes the Melesi Mausoleum of
1914, for an early victim of a car accident
War graves – there are over 100 graves from both world wars plus a
memorial with the names of others.
Monuments - the Mond Mausoleum by Thomas Arthur Darcy
Braddell built in the Grecian style for Ludwig Mond and vast numbers more.
Face of London
Place Names of London
and Cherry London North
Wood and Muswell Hill Playing Fields website
Coldfall Woods website
Free Hospital web site
Hospitals of London web site
Borough of Islington Crematorium web site.
Pinching & Dell, Haringey's Hidden Streams