Green Brook flows
eastwards to Monken Mead Brook joined by small tributaries from the north and
Post to the west Monken Hadley
Post to the north Hadley Wood
Post to the east Beech Hill Park
Post to the south New Barnet
It has been suggested
that this is a Roman Road going to Colchester = called Camulodumum
St.Paul’s Church. Built
in 1911 by A. E. Kingswell.
Covert Way Field. A triangular
nature reserve on old pasture land close to the railway and now covered in scrub.
Set up in 1975 by the local authority with the Hadley Wood Association. The main
tree species is ash with oak and hawthorn.
The Great Northern
Railway opened its line through what is now Hadley Wood in 1850. Hadley Wood
South Tunnels are 384 yards long. In the mid-1950s a second set of tunnels was bored to the west of the 1950s tunnels and lined with concrete segments,
Greenwood lay on the area of line south of Camlet Way
signal box. This was opened in 1876 and at first called Hadley. It was to control the up goods line to Barnet - but which became the up slow line. Until 1959 this is where the four line track ended. Its interior featured on a British rail poster in 1948. Called On
Early Shift Terence Cuneo. The box closed when work was done on the tunnels in the 1950s.
The Common is often called
"Hadley Woods", or "Hadley Common". It was created as a common by an Act of
Parliament of 1777 which enclosed Enfield Chase. It is now the only remaining unenclosed
fragment of the Chase and the freehold is vested in the church wardens at the
Bridge over the railway
Pevsner & Cherry London North
Walford. Village London
Smyth City Wildspace
London Railway Record articles
Signal Box Forum web site
Monken Hadley Common web site
Connor. Kings Cross to Potters Bar