Saturday, 3 March 2012

River Lee - Tottenham

Lea Navigation, Pymmes Brook and River Lea Diversion
Lea Navigation, Pymmes Brook and River Lea Diversion all flow south
The River Moselle passes through the area between Scotland Green and Pymmes Brook

Post to the east Lockwood Reservoir
Post to the west Tottenham
Post to the south Tottenhanm Hale

Broad Mead
Broad mead is a section of Tottenham Marsh

Carbuncle Passage Way
The passage follows the line of a ditch, or waterway, tributary to the Moselle River

Coleraine Estate
This is an area of 19th housing between Carbuncle and Park Lane. It was built by the Northern and Eastern Suburban Industrial Development Company on damp farm land.

Down Lane Recreation Ground
Made up of Down Field, acquired in 1902, and enclosed Lammas Lands.

Glendish Road
Coleraine Park Board School. Built by the local authority in 1881 the first board school purpose built in Tottenham. It became a junior school only in 1928 and always overcrowded.

Hartington Park
Opened in the 1970s on a slum clearance area

Lansdowne Road
Mount Zion Church of God Fellowship Centre in the building which was previously Edmonton and Tottenham Synagogue
90 Probation services offices

Marsh Lane
Site of Asplin Farm which dated from the 17th. The last old farm which, was demolished to become factories. It had been listed but was allowed to fall down.
Northumberland Park depot for Victoria Line underground trains, opened 1968 and now Metronet.  Railway lines stretch to the south and can be seen from Watermead Way. It is the only part of the Victoria Line not in a tunnel and it is connected to the rest of the Line by a tunnel to a junction north of Seven Sisters. It was opened in 1968, and was upgraded in 2009 for new trains.

Manor Road
Ministry of Praise

Park View Road
Tottenham Council Depot. At one time site of the rubbish destructor with a ramp up to it and a rail link to the main line. In the Second World War household scraps were cooked here for local pigs.

Parkhurst Road
Mulberry Primary School. Large School Board type school.  Two of the buildings have bell cotes and the central building very grand. Decorative Art Nouveau lettering on the gables.

Poynton Road
Pearson and Bunlees Printers, in Coleraine Works. Coleraine Hall was a mission hall for St.Johns.

Rosebery Avenue
Tsega House. Small clothing factory.
Trading Estate at the junction with Shelbourne Road

Scotland Green
Two Brewers Pub

Shelbourne Road
Coleraine Club – Club room attached to St. Paul’s Church

Vicarage Road
Millward Seventh Day Adventist Church. This is just in an ordinary house.

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
History of Middlesex
London Encyclopedia
Stevenson. Middlesex
Protz. Tottenham a History
Coleraine Park School web site 
Mulberry Primary School web site
London Railway Record articles

No comments: