Monken Mead Brook flows southwards. It is joined by Green Brook from the east
TQ 27659 97162
Upmarket golf course and parkland on the site of an old estate. The site includes a fishing lake
Post to the north West Lodge
Post to the west Hadley Wood
Post to the south Cockfosters
Beech Hill ParkBeech Hill Park. Hadley Wood Golf Club. This was opened on 1922. After the First World War developers bought up the remaining part of Beech Hill Park and built the golf course. They converted the mansion as the club house.
Beech Hill Park House was built for Francis Russell, secretary to the Duchy of Lancaster in 1795, following the enclosure of Enfield Chase in 1777. It has a seven-bay brick front with a 19th extension of a billiard room and conservatory which is now part of the reception room areas. The remains of an older house appear to be enveloped in the new building. After Russell’s death the estate was taken over by Archibald Paris who farmed it until 1850 when Charles Jack took over, who also farmed here.
Stables. A U-shaped 19th brick building of 2 storeys.
Beech Hill Lakes. The three lakes were created some time in the 1880s Charles Jack, who owned Beech Hill House, although it is thought there has been some form of lake since the 17th. The top two lakes are part of Hadley Wood Golf Club
Jack's Lake is the bottom lake. From the 19th into the 1960s it was used as a boating lake. It was later used for fishing but became overgrown. It was taken over by Hadley Angling and Preservation society from 1982. It is said to be called Jack’s Lake after Charles Jack or for its reputation of having numbers of young pike.
Walford Village London
Pevsner and Cherry London North
LT Country Walks 2
Hadley Angling and Preservation Soc. web site
History of the County of Middlesex web site
London Borough of Enfield. Parks web site