Sunday, 18 March 2012

Pymmes Brook Cockfosters

Pymmes Brook
Pymmes Brook flows south, and then south east
TQ 27307 96330

Suburban area of between the wars housing which feels like the edge of London, but which is actually the edge of Trent Park. Remains of strange folk museum.

Post to the east Cockfosters
Post to the north Beech Hill Park
Post to the west New Barnet
Post to the south East Barnet

Chalk Lane
West Farm Court – once called West Farm Place. At one time Electricity Board offices Low rendered building early 19th with tall ground floor windows and high white chimney stacks. Now flats.
Wall round the house and gardens clearly old
Christ Church. The church was paid for by Robert Cooper Lee Bevan of Trent Park and built in 1839 by E. Kendall. It is in stock brick like many Commissioners' churches, but it is not symmetrical and the orientation is reversed. Additions and extensions by Blomfield in 1898
Church Hall. Built in 1931, with triple-arched entrance. 
Hadley Field. Southgate Old Scholars’ Association Cricket and Hockey Club. The field has been leased to Southgate County School Old Boys’ Cricket Club since 1950. The club, founded in 1921, played at a number of sites until the Second World War and then searched for somewhere else. Finally, in 1950, the new ground and club headquarters was established and an old wooden pavilion was transferred from Firs Lane, Winchmore Hill.
Cockfosters Bowling Club. This is a six rink lawn bowls club formed in 1919. It had a location alongside the cricket and football grounds
D’Acre Field. Cockfosters Football Club was originally formed in 1921 by local residents and the ground allocated to the Club by Lady Bevan. The first league entered was the local Barnet League and the Club moved through the lower divisions and have since reached the Premier division of the Spartan South Midlands League
Cockfosters Cricket Club.

Church Way
Trent Church of England Primary School. 19th church school

Cockfosters Road
Entrance to Trent Park. On either side of the gateway are seven stone bollards with domed tops
West Lodge. Built 1898 by John T. Lee for Francis Bevan in red brick with flint panels and timber-framed upper floor
325-335 6 estate cottages from the 19th in cream brick
War memorial on D’Acre Field. The inscription reads 'Peace and Love brings Joy'

Games Road
Old maps show the original centre of Cockfosters village as the junction between Games and Chalk roads. The road is the relic of a bridleway between Monken Hadley and Cockfosters.
2 - 8 long, thin building used as offices in red brick. The original building has an extension with an earlier stone arched door surround. The original building dates from the 1930s. The ground floor was a café with flats and storage above converted to offices in the 1960s. There are two lime trees in front of the offices
10- 18 terrace of cottages, built in 1750.
Gate - one of five wooden gates at access points to The Common. This dates from 1824, is white painted, has five bars and a kissing gate
Cheyne House is a modern red brick building which looks like one house but is actually three houses in a terrace
The Grange is a modern block of flats on the site of an older house.
Ludgrove Hall. This is mentioned as Ludgrove Farm before 1422, and it passed to the Crown in 1542. The current building dates from the 1830s and was a private house.  It was a boys' preparatory school in the 19th where pupils included Douglas-Home and Osbert Sitwell. It was and sold for housing in the 1930s.
Ludgrove Playing Fields – used by a variety of sports clubs.

Gatcombe Way
Area developed for housing in the 1990s using the grounds of West Farm Place

Grove Road
New Barnet Baptist Church

Mount Pleasant
The Jester pub

Park Road
89, a large stuccoed house, used as a folk museum before the Second World War.  Now sometimes called Abbey Arts Centre and It was owned by William Ohley, of the Berkley Galleries in Davies Street.  It was home to many Australian artists 1947 – 1951,
Barn. Medieval timber-framed from Birchington in Kent which is now the Abbey Church of Christ the King.
Abbey Folk Park and Museum.  This, the first open-air museum in England, included a “Prehistoric “Village of seven huts, a 16TH Witch's cottage and much else. This was set up in 1934 by John Ward who also seems to have founded his own church.  The collection is now in Australia
Film studio of Lotte Reiniger who with her husband Carl Koch pioneered the development of the animated film in Berlin before coming to England in 1934. She worked from her studio in New Barnet for many years.

Verwood Drive
Area developed for housing in the 1990s using the grounds of West Farm Place
The Gate House and 4-12 1990s to match the style of West Farm Court.
Cock and Dragon pub built in 1915 on the site of an earlier pub originally called The Cock Inn.  It is a characteristic 1930s roadhouse by J. C. F. James for Benskins Brewery. It is a plain, symmetrical building with a green pantiled roof and clock tower plus a weather vane. The front car park was once used as a terminus for the 29 bus.

Sources
Walford Village London
Middlesex Churches
Pevsner & Cherry London North
LT Country Walks 2
LMA website
Cockfosters Football Club website
Southgate Old Scholars website
Cockfosters Bowling Club website
London Borough of Barnet Monken Hadley Conservation Area website
Abbey Museum, Australian, web site
J.S.M.Ward and the Abbey web site
Lottie Reiniger - Wikipedia web site




No comments: